Puppy Food Discussion

Thread: Puppy Food Discussion

Jayghf1978 is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy Food Discussion

Hi, I'm Jay, a new dog owner and new member.

Been lurking here for a few day before signing up so hello all.

Did not see this anywhere and not sure to put it under "puppy" or "nutritions" so apologize in advance.

Would like to get more opinions and have a better understanding on what to feed my 12 week old lab chopper. I did some reading on ratings for different brands on dry dog food, and eventually went with blue buffalo large breed for puppies. Started to see some mixed reviews on actual benefits of puppy food vs. food for adults.

I do understand the Diamond recalls and all the associated brands, as well as avoiding Chinese products at all costs. For treats he loves the royal canyon duck breast jerky, also some Newman's organic.

Fairly new dog owner with minimal experience so any advice would be very much appreciated. Also would like to know what you guys the experts are feeding your loved ones. Or is feeding really not as big a deal as I think as long as he's eating and pooping?

Thanks for reading and looking forward to any advices.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I read your other post and sounds ilke the pup is already on a decent food (bule buffalo). is there a reason you want to change? Is the puppy doing well on that food? Be cautious about jumping on the food roller coaster unless there is a need to change foods.

Is the puppy from a reputable breeder that knows their lines and is knowledbable? If so I would ask them about what food works for their lines.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Please check the bag of duck jerky treats, many are manufactured in China. (I am not sure about that brand specifically) I was looking at the packages in one of the local pet food stores and I was shocked that I was unable to fine even one brand of duck or chicken jerky that was manufactured in the US.
    I agree with Tanya, if what you are feeding is working, why change it? If you are going to change it is best to discuss with the breeder of your puppy. They know their dogs best and are better able to guide you to the food that works for their lines. Unless your puppy is having issues with the food I wouldn't mess with it at this age, especially if this is what the breeder suggested/required that you feed the puppy. What you feed IS important - you definitely want to feed a good quality kibble and feed the correct amount but changing food, unless necessary, can start your puppy on a rollercoaster of issues.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jayghf1978 is offline Junior Member

Thank you for your replies, Tanya and Tammy.

I am one of those anal guys who has to do the absolutely best he can, plus a bit confused with the feeding situation. I am the opposite of stubborn, somewhat exploring too much on both sudes before deciding on anything.

I was under the impression that Blue Buffalo was one of the best for labs, but my vet's response was it is a bit "too nutritional, but not to worry about it too much" as I'm obviously listening to her. Then I read the articles here about the misleading benefits of puppy food.

I am exploring the possibility of switching, and would do so gradually if it is the case. Chopper does not seem to "enjoy" the dry food as much as rice and chicken we make when his stomach is weak, contributing to the case.

I'm fairly new to this and just want to make sure I'm doing the best I can for my dog.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jayghf1978 View Post
    I was under the impression that Blue Buffalo was one of the best for labs....
    It's a good quality food, but there is NO "best for labs". My labs can't eat it at all.

And never heard of royal canyon duck breast jerky, nor does it come up in Google, so just make sure it's not a Chinese product. Canyon Ranch is a chinese product.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    Please check the bag of duck jerky treats, many are manufactured in China. (I am not sure about that brand specifically) I was looking at the packages in one of the local pet food stores and I was shocked that I was unable to fine even one brand of duck or chicken jerky that was manufactured in the US.
    Hijack -- Tammy, try Zukes they are made in the USA.

Check out this forum, a rep from Zukes posted when someone questioned on that forum that Zukes was made in China - it's the 9th post down. Dog Treat RECALL - Petsmart | Doberman Chat Forum: Talk About Doberman Pinschers. I called them myself and got the same reply verbally. I give Diesel the venison (sourced from New Zealand) and the turkey from USA.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jayghf1978 View Post
    Hi, I'm Jay, a new dog owner and new member.

Been lurking here for a few day before signing up so hello all.

Did not see this anywhere and not sure to put it under "puppy" or "nutritions" so apologize in advance.

Would like to get more opinions and have a better understanding on what to feed my 12 week old lab chopper. I did some reading on ratings for different brands on dry dog food, and eventually went with blue buffalo large breed for puppies. Started to see some mixed reviews on actual benefits of puppy food vs. food for adults.

I do understand the Diamond recalls and all the associated brands, as well as avoiding Chinese products at all costs. For treats he loves the royal canyon duck breast jerky, also some Newman's organic.

Fairly new dog owner with minimal experience so any advice would be very much appreciated. Also would like to know what you guys the experts are feeding your loved ones. Or is feeding really not as big a deal as I think as long as he's eating and pooping?

Thanks for reading and looking forward to any advices.
    Did you mean Royal Canin for the duck jerky?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

IMO - you don't need a large breed food. Labs are not large breed dogs. You can switch to adult or ALS food in a few weeks. If your puppy is doing fine on this food - don't switch. If she has loose poop or is not finishing her meals - that would be a reason to consider switching. You can second guess yourself to death over dog food - there is always going to be someone who believe that there is a better choice. The RIGHT choice is the one that works for your dog.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

tammy - I find if you go to more locally owned pet stores you can find more local (US, Canada) treats. Places like Petsmart have a much smaller selection of more local treats. I used to use zukes quite often. The dehydrated stuff I feed is more than local (usually in my province or closer). I use Benny Bullies quite often. When I get home I can give you a list of some of the stuff I give.

OP -as mentionned there is not "best food" for any dog, just what food works best for YOUR DOG IN PARTICULAR.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Thanks Roxy and Tanya, I will check that brand out! I do not recall seeing it but perhaps I missed it or the store I was looking in did not carry the brand. I did buy a dehydrator and make my own now but it would be nice to have some on hand for when I don't have the time.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.