New puppy...coming soon

Thread: New puppy...coming soon

my2labs is offline Senior Member

DefaultNew puppy...coming soon

Well, my husband and I did it. We put a deposit down on a 6 week old AKC chocolate lab puppy. We will get him in 2 weeks. I haven't had a puppy in 10 years so I am a little rusty. What is the best puppy food to get Java started on? How about treats? We already have the crate and will pick up some puppy toys, chewys, and food/water dishes. I am excited and nervous all at the same time. Thanks.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

You named him Java! Cute! We have another Java on here too! Puppies, they can really run you ragged! LOL! Check and see what the breeder is feeding and leave him on it for awhile at least. I can't wait to see pictures! Our breeder sent us some, and videos of Sophie barking at the cat at 4 weeks old! She still has a "cat barking" thing going! Puppy proof your house while you wait the 2 weeks. Make sure all wires are out of reach and shoes, especially flip flops and slippers are put away. All little chokey stuff needs picked up. I am so excited for you!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Congratulations! I would keep the puppy on the same food the breeder. Is feeding, at least for a while, to avoid tummy upset. As for treats, training wise I used dehydrated chicken and liver, (homemade only, make sure you stay away from any thing made in China), as well as apple and banana slices, baby carrrots and green beans. I remember this excitement so well while I was waiting for Maxx to come home, the time just does not go quick enough! Good luck to you.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

Wooooooo hooooooo so happy for you. I did post earlier but on another thread. My pup is now looking more like a D O G but I got him at 10 weeks and we fed him Purina Pro Plan puppy food chicken and ...now he is on pro plan selects chicken and brown rice and he is doing fantastic on it. We give Gus the very tiny purina dog biscuits and pup a roni (the soft treats). Gus had loads of toys and they were great to watch him enjoy and play with them - he loved them so much. I thought that maybe he would be one of those special dogs that do not destroy their toys..but I was wrong about that so now he has kong - kong bone and some rope toys and that is about it and the rope toys I have to monitor because he will shred them and eat the strings. So he is not a special non toy destroyer dog but he is still special. It had been 10 years since we had a puppy around so we had to go through a lot of training but he has just about got us straightened out now. You are in for a really fun and ummmmmm crazy time with a pup - Enjoy it and congratulations!

Thanks so much. I had forgotten to make sure to ask the breeder for what she was feeding him. I will write that on my list.

Sophiesmama-It was a toss up between Java and Chewbacca (chewey) for short but we really liked Java or Ja for short.

I got the nyla bones for him to chew and a soft stuffed toy to start. We do have some bigger tuff toys for him when he wants to really chew on something. His owner said he usually goes to sleep around 9:30 and sleeps though the night in a crate. Most of the litter is almost potty trained. She takes them out 3-4 times a day and they all potty when she does. Mom is an English breed although she is tall and skinny but grandma was on the property as well and she was definitely English breeding. Mom had 11 pups in this litter!!!!

I hope I am doing the right thing. We are going to keep a close eye on him to make sure he doesn't pester Abbey but he will be crated during the day while the husband and i work so Abbey can have her breather. Thanks for the advice and the congrats. It will definitley be a roller coaster ride the next few weeks and months but I am up for the challenge.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I am so excited for you! After all you have been through, you need a little happiness come your way....
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    I am so excited for you! After all you have been through, you need a little happiness come your way....

Thanks. YOU have been a huge source of inspiration during this tough time.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12