Need some advice

Thread: Need some advice

Titan is offline Junior Member

DefaultNeed some advice

I have a yellow lab, named Titan, he's 4 1/2 and is neutered. When we go to the dog park he mounts other dogs. He'll go up to them and smells them then that's when he gets on them. I can sometimes stop him before it happens, but I can't always get to him in time. When it happens I pull him off right away. He doesn't just do this to females. He will also do this to males also, intact or neutered. Any suggestions on how to break this habit?
    Amy

Titan-12/21/2007
    Rocket-1/11/2009

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

It is his way of showing dominance. Females even do it. You need to reinforce sit and stay, this may help the situation.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

He can do a good sit stay, but I'm not always around him when dogs come in the park.
    Amy

Titan-12/21/2007
    Rocket-1/11/2009

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I'd work on general training with distractions. I would also try and find a friend's dog that is GOOD at correcting humpers and get them together.

It sounds dominance related (or possibly just a dog that has no clue about appropriate dog interactions). You will need to be near him at the park at all times to stop him.

I had a foster that was BADDDD at humping other dogs. I gave him two chances and work work with him to redirect and ENTERTAIN him in another part of the park but if he kept humpign we left. With training (no hump!) and leaving when he was not stopping he eventually got MUCH better.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

If he does it a lot you have to make sure you or someone else IS around him at the park to stop him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    I'd work on general training with distractions. I would also try and find a friend's dog that is GOOD at correcting humpers and get them together.

It sounds dominance related (or possibly just a dog that has no clue about appropriate dog interactions). You will need to be near him at the park at all times to stop him.

I had a foster that was BADDDD at humping other dogs. I gave him two chances and work work with him to redirect and ENTERTAIN him in another part of the park but if he kept humpign we left. With training (no hump!) and leaving when he was not stopping he eventually got MUCH better.
    Thanks for the advice! He has gotten corrected by dogs that don't like it and most of the time he gets off right away, but the next dog he sees he trys with that dog. Since he loves the tennis ball I have been using it to redirect his focus and leaving if he kept humping.
    Amy

Titan-12/21/2007
    Rocket-1/11/2009