I don't understand it...help?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't understand it...help?

Malikai's mom is offline Junior Member

DefaultI don't understand it...help?

Malikai came to me from a family who left him outside to his own devices, he had zero training and when he came to us he was a spazzy mess. He's come a long way in the short couple of weeks we have had him, our boy knows sit, down, stand (We don't use stay, any of these commands is the same as stay, he is to stay in the position until released) and release. He's learning more but there is one thing we have not been able to change. Barking. Malikai will bark every he is told to sit, down or stand, he barks when my husband leaves for work, he barks when we all leave. While we're home a firm "Malikai, NO" gets him to stop but the problem is we live in an apartment, we have neighbors who thankfully have come to us instead of management because when we go shopping or anything, he barks and barks and barks, nonstop until we get home and let him out of the crate. I've tried two different bark collars, he doesn't care, barks right through them. I've tried teaching him to bark on command and a "enough" command but he will not bark on command. I've tried numerous other suggestions from a trainer and to no avail. We can't always be here and we can't take him to the store with us so what in the world do we do to stop this behavior!?!?!?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Sounds like separation anxiety. How long have you had him, and how old is Malikai?

It can take 6 weeks or more for a dog to get used to new surroundings and new family, but likely longer for one that was ignored by its previous owner.

Can you work on leaving him for short intervals of time? Start with 5 minutes, work it up gradually by adding 5 minutes, etc. The key is to not make a big deal of leaving or coming back.

Continue with a command when you are there and he barks, but I would suggest a specific command like "No Bark" instead of just "Malikai, NO" -- "No" is far too broad a command, and their names should really only be added to a recall command, not a negative one - this helps strengthen their recall when their name is associated with positive.

Please do not use a collar of any kind when he is crated, it is extremely dangerous, a dog should not be collared while unsupervised.

Is he housetrained? And how long is he left alone for?

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Make sure he has been thoroughly exercised and is tired when you leave him. Have you tried semi-covering the crate? As far as commands, we put a hand on Sophie's muzzle and whispered Shhhhh.... We can even get her to mime a bark when we says speak Sophie and shhhh.... Keep trying, labbies are smart and learn quickly.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Malikai is 7 months old, he's been here for a couple of weeks now, going on three. We have tried crate uncovered and covered. He is not completely housebroke so we crate when we are gone. Normally the only time he is left alone is for us to go shopping, which takes about 30 minutes. We've now received a letter that if he does not quiet within a week, we will be evicted which we can't afford to be evicted.

NOTE: This is not just when he is crated and we leave however, he does this when my husband goes to work to! him barking for hours at 4am is not good for anyone, I am here when this starts....I try to calm him and he keeps barking.
    Last edited by Malikai's mom; 08-08-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Take him shopping with you for awhile. You don't want to chance being evicted! Sophie goes with us and loves to ride in the car. We take her unless we are going somewhere she can't go. Have you tried finding a sitter? We used to have a couple of neighborhood boys that would Sophie sit when she was little. If you hired a sitter, maybe he wouldn't feel alone and the need to bark. You are in a situation where you need to do something, like hire a sitter or take him with you when you leave. Apartment living can be tough sometimes.
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

So just going on 3 weeks unfortunately is not enough time to expect him to do everything you want. I realize your situation is becoming urgent, but honestly this pup needs patience.

Have you tried what I suggested already?

What have you tried other than "No" and covering the crate to keep him quiet?

Is he left alone when your husband goes to work? Or is someone still home with him? If someone is still home with him, take him out for a long walk, get him tired, keep him distracted -- do some training, reiterate the training, tire out his brain. There are many things you can do -- so what all have you tried so far?

Where do you live? Do you know what your rights are for eviction, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Malikai's mom View Post
    NOTE: This is not just when he is crated and we leave however, he does this when my husband goes to work to! him barking for hours at 4am is not good for anyone, I am here when this starts....I try to calm him and he keeps barking.
    If you can specify what your methods are it would be easier to give you advice that could help you out.

Have you tried giving a marrow bone? Some dogs will chew for hours! Make sure its a nice big one and raw. He might be distracted enough by the bone to forget about barking....
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

Tried methods: "Malikai, NO", holding his mouth closed (gently) and telling him NO BARK, bones, chew toys, 2 mile walk followed by off leash time at the baseball park with fetch and training (Barking resumes when we got back home), I've brought him into my room and closed tried giving him attention to no avail. We've as I said tried bark collars, we've tried loud noises (change in a metal jar, I've been told it works...nada), I've tried training him to bark only on command, Soothing sounds, spray of water, none of it works...period...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast