Puppy poops / off her food

Thread: Puppy poops / off her food

Pioneer22 is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy poops / off her food

So Ella is doing well but she had recently stopped eating her kibble, so we gave her some wet food and she was loving this so we are now giving her that mixed with kibble however she isnt eating the kibble and just eating the wet food. She now either has difficulty passing poops or she has quite runny ones coming out like mr whippy. No vomiting and she is drinking

She has plenty of energy but she will eat the kibble out of my hand or piece by piece if i give it to her. She gets excited by treats chicken/tuna etc.

So we are unsure really? We do have to take her out more than we used to obv i am aware of the fact we changed her food quite quickly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

How old is she?

The addition of the wet food may be the reason for the loose poop. It could be that it's richer than she can tolerate or it was just too quick a change.

Some puppies go through a period where they get fussy. Or she could be teething - that will put some off their food. I would caution you against changing or adding high value goodies to her food to get her to eat - you can make a picky eater out of your dog quite easily.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Mike Richards is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    How old is she?

The addition of the wet food may be the reason for the loose poop. It could be that it's richer than she can tolerate or it was just too quick a change.

Some puppies go through a period where they get fussy. Or she could be teething - that will put some off their food. I would caution you against changing or adding high value goodies to her food to get her to eat - you can make a picky eater out of your dog quite easily.
    Just one thing to add to that, the Dry food is balanced and by adding wet food it's now not, that maybe part of the problem
    Ozzy Born 19th March 2012

Axel Born 19th Aug 2009

Never moon a werewolf....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HarpersFerry is offline Junior Member

Harper is teething.. his front teeth are visibly loose and he understandably isn't very interested in eating his hard kibble. Not sure why, but he is mostly not interested in breakfast. Instead of mixing in wet food though, I just add a few teaspoons of water to his food and leave it for 5 mins to soften on its own. Seems to do the trick without creating a fussy eater.
    His stool consistency also changes like the breeze, but can be directly attributed to how much and whatever (dirt? grass? mulch?) he has ingested that day as well as shots from the Vet which always seem to do a number on his stomach.

Ok I see, she is 9 weeks old, she is teething you can tell the time of day when she is because she chews certain items at certain times poor thing I hate teething as well!

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

If she is only 9 weeks, you should be adding water to her kibble. I would discontinue the wet food. Since she likes chicken, you could grate a small amount in with her kibble. People will say that adding to kibble is spoiling them, but I'm a softy and love to spoil!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Tanya is offline Senior Member

how long have you had her and are you feeding the same food as the breeder was?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Took her to the vets nothing wrong just the change of food so thanks for the advice/input vet gave us some probiotic paste to give her!