Leave at home or not?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leave at home or not?

Parcae is offline Senior Member

DefaultLeave at home or not?

In 9 days we will be bringing home a puppy. Yay!
    But I can't seem to decide if I should leave the puppy at home when I pick my son up from daycare or bring the puppy with me. Picking my son up takes about 15-20 minutes, and it's a really short walk. I'm not allowed to bring the puppy inside the gated area but I could tie him outside. Dognappings are not common here but they do happen and even though I would be able to see the puppy it scares me. But on the other hand I don't want to leave the puppy all alone for 15-20 minutes. What would you do? Leave the puppy home alone (not in a crate) or bring the puppy?

Dave 990305 - 110701 Forever in my heart
    Roffe 120619

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Leave her at home. Why are you not crate training?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Using a crate is not allowed here in my country. So it is okay to leave a puppy alone for 15 minutes? I've had some bad reactions from people, insinuating that I would be hurting the puppy if I leave him alone.

Roffe 120619

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

at home. your puppy hasn't had all their shots yet so you need to be very careful where you bring them. also, a 20 minute walks at 9 weeks is too much and you can't leave a 9 week old outside alone.

also, it is helpful for a puppy to learn to be alone, especially for short periods, in order to avoid developing serious seperation anxiety. Crate the puppy and go pick up your son.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

ok just read your response (I seriously don't get those rules but you gotta deal with them). Dog proof a room and leave them in that room.

again, puppies need to LEARN to be alone. if they are with humans all day every day they can potentially develop seperation anxiety when their humans have to leave them alone (which will happen at some point)

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    at home. your puppy hasn't had all their shots yet so you need to be very careful where you bring them. also, a 20 minute walks at 9 weeks is too much and you can't leave a 9 week old outside alone.

also, it is helpful for a puppy to learn to be alone, especially for short periods, in order to avoid developing serious seperation anxiety. Crate the puppy and go pick up your son.
    It's a 5 minute walk though, the extra time is just the amount of time it takes to talk to the teachers, gather his things and so on.
    I did not know that it actually is helpful to leave the puppy at home. I'm starting to feel a little less like a bad dog owner. Thank you

Roffe 120619

oh oh - are ex-pens ok? Midwest Black E-Coat Exercise Pen, 24 Inches by 30 Inches: Amazon.com: Pet Supplies

an alternative to the crate that could be helpful when your pup is still young (some are higher as well). as he gets bigger he may easily be able to get out but an interesting option...

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    oh oh - are ex-pens ok? Midwest Black E-Coat Exercise Pen, 24 Inches by 30 Inches: Amazon.com: Pet Supplies

an alternative to the crate that could be helpful when your pup is still young (some are higher as well). as he gets bigger he may easily be able to get out but an interesting option...
    Yes I think they are. There is a minimum size requirement though but that should not be a problem. Thank you so much for your help.

Roffe 120619

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

We used our laundry room when we had to leave Sophie when she was little. Some people use a bathroom, just be sure to leave the lid down. We didn't leave her very long, and if we had to, we hired a sitter. You have to have given ALL the puppy series of shots before you take your puppy anywhere public!!! You can take it to homes of friends with vaccinated dogs, that you know for sure have fenced or secluded yards that no other dogs have been in. Carry your puppy to and from your car and in the vet's office. Do NOT allow the puppy on the floor of a vet's office till fully vaccinated. So, no...you can't take your puppy on the walk to the school. I would never leave a puppy tied up unattended anyway. So much can happen in a short time. A kid could untie the pup and it could be long gone when you come back. It could get dog napped, or tangled in the leash and choked! And you are NOT a bad pet owner!! You ask questions! That is the best kind!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

So if crates are illegal, what do people do at dog shows? A handler with multiple dogs can't just leave them leashed.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast