Bit of advices please

Thread: Bit of advices please

Pioneer22 is offline Junior Member

DefaultBit of advice please

Hi,

We have a 9 week old lab called Ella I have a quick question should we take her uneaten Dry food away? Also she's not really drank today but has eaten should I be worried? I'm being overreactive to everything!

Also she is so so smart but is this a good thing; if she's in the living room she will pee mot of the time on a pad. Her crate is in the kitchen and she will pee on the floor and miss the pad in there. She doesn't poop at at all in the house apart from 3 times. If she needs to poo she will cry/let out a whimper if I haven't noticed she needs to go. Same in the mornings she will cry when she needs to go so is this a positive behaviour? Or should I be controlling when she's taken out?

Thanks
    Last edited by Pioneer22; 08-05-2012 at 03:39 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Can you take her outside to pee? If you use training pads, it is very confusing to the puppy. They don't understand why its ok to go to the bathroom sometimes in the house and sometimes not. I think it is much easier to take them outside from the beginning. Also, some puppies will potty on anything you leave on the floor if you use training pads. They'll pee on your clothes, magazines, throw rugs or anything else that resembles a training pad! Consistancy is the key. Take her out the same door, use the same command, and wait till she goes and praise her greatly. Once she gets a little older, she will just destroy the training pads, and you'll have them torn up all over the house! I surprized she hasn't started this already!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I agree with what Pam said above about the training pads and would get rid of them ASAP. The puppy asking to go out is definitely positive behavior! Of course she is smart, she is a Lab and it is a wonderful thing! If Ella is not eating her food I would take it up. How often, what kind and amount of food are you feeding? Does she seem to be gaining weight?
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ok we will do but what should we do if she starts peeing? She does pee outside but we can work out when she needs to.

Well we mixed half and of what she had when we got her and what we bought her. She was doing great then yesterday didn't really eat much. I was worried about her appetite but she was loving chicken, so we bout her original food again and some wet puppy from a can. And have been mixing that with the original kibble and she is eating normally again. But she has started begging more. I'm worried we have given her too much choice and created a little diva!

260. Grams spread over 4 meals

Sorry I was half asleep when I wrote some of this! I wondered if it was a good thing that she is able to tell us when she needs a poo but is still weeing everywhere. She always whimpers when she needs a poo so we have enough time to get her outside, but nothing for when she pees. I guess this will improve with bladder control, but what can we do in the meantime? We live in a townhouse so to get outside we have to go down a flight of stairs, we figured a pad would be good as when she needs to go she needs to go NOW but I agree it's confusing and yes her favourite place to go is our rug as Sophiesmama said!

In regards to food, we carried on using kibble as recommended by the breeder, and the amount is based on her weight as recommended by the vet. She used to wag her tail whilst eating and be hungry for every meal, but yesterday barely ate, out of the blue. We bought some wet food to try as we were concerned and mixed this with the kibble. So is it just that she's after a bit of variety or was there a bigger problem there? We don't want to make her a picky eater when she had such a great appetite before!

Hope that explains my concerns a bit better! Thanks, appreciate the advice

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Her bladder control will improve with age but in the mean time if you take her out every hour while awake and the other times I mentioned above it should help with the number of accidents. this stage is over with fairly quicky and she will be asking to go each time before you know it. If you are feeding as your breeder suggested that is a good start. Adjust the amount as needed while she is growing. One "off" feeding wouldn't concern me too much as long as puppy is alert and active. Definitely call you vet if it continues or your puppy seems lethargic. I wouldn't worry about a little canned food making your puppy a picky eater but I am definitely not the best person to give you advice as I have a dog that just grazes, does not dig in to her food like my other does. One that is SO food oriented and one who could care less, not sure what I did to have 2 such different personalities in so many ways!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Mirariel is offline Junior Member

Hello

Reading what you are doing thus far, and given your questions, I think I will not do you injustice by guessing you are quite new to the doggie world. I believe there is so much to know for someone new to dogs, that having a good look at one or two books at the least would take so much stress off of you (and your dog actually ). A fine start might be 'Jean Donaldson - The Culture Clash'. She explains how dogs 'work', how we can influence that, and how to train all the important things. She is one of the best known US trainers, and for good reason.

Have fun with your dog!