PLEASE HELP!!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PLEASE HELP!!

michelle.p is offline Junior Member

UnhappyPLEASE HELP!!

I am so stressed out! I just got my first pure bred lab puppy last tuesday evening. my first big dog, period. hes very adorable... light blonde fur, green eyes, bright pink nose.. he is a pet for our family, but i gave him specifically to my daughter (whom is VERY mature and responsible and helpful). He is 7 weeks old (dob, 6/5/12), from a litter of 9 i believe, papers and.all. now ive read up some on labs but i am a rookie... and the things ive been reading tonight are causing serious anxiety.. hes a playful pup, like any dog.. but hes SOOO aggressive !!! I know they have tons of energy... well ive got three children and my fiance has three of his own and my darling cat so needless to say we have a lot of energy and love to give but hes being so aggressive and rough that the children are starting to get scared of him!! He bites and nips at everyone/everything!! He jumps on the kids and bites the back of their legs and feet whenever they are walking... and he wont stop!! Today i had my 12 month old on the ground and he ran up and niped at her ear scaring her to death!! I am an animal lover by far but i will not tolerate this kind of behavior, if somethingcdoesnt get better soon i know hes going to end up an outside dog at best. we are cratectraining and thats going well, a few messes in the house so far but most outside... he seems like a wonderful pup but this biting thing needs to calm down!!! I know hes teething, and ive given him plenty of toys, but he still runs up to the kids and bites their hands/legs/feet and has made most of them cry. i intend on getting him into pup training classes at petsmart but he needs a few more sets of shots first... everything I'm reading online says this stage should pass in 2-5 years!? There is no way he'll last that long if every member of our family begins to despise him for his overbearing , overly aggressive "playful" attitude... ive always wanred a lab, always thought they were sweet, beautiful , wonderful family dogs, but i guess I've never spent much time around a young lab... i was told they were "mouthy" and I'd lose a few shoes but i was NOT prepared for this... please help me keep my sanity !!! i love little Zeke but my families happiness and safety come first
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

That's NOT aggression. If it was aggression it would be 100 times worse. Here is one thread of the hundreds that could help you. https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/t...py-biting.html If you don't want to take the time and training to help and will just make him an outside dog, please find him a home with people who will and keep him part of their family.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

I never said he wouldnt be part of our family, i simply said if he was going to attack our children for 2-5 years as ice read it can last, that hed probably end up outside.. i have every intention of training him the best i can bit i know that discipline is not appropriate for this age so I'm trying desperately to keep everyone happy, Zeke included.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

This is very common in pups. Many of us understand your frustration, concern and at your wits end. You sound like you are working hard with him and getting into puppy class will help you both.

Kassa did it and my sister in law said she was aggressive. I was in such a panic I took her to a trainer who said she didn't have a mean bone in her body and often they become over stimulated. They are like babies and need to sleep. Once we started putting her in her crate when she bit too much she settled. She would come up behind us and bite the back of our legs with her razor teeth. By the time she was 6 months old we could understand why people gave dogs away.

I started working with her and tiring her out physically as well as mentally and things were better. Personally I don't leave any of my dogs alone with young children. They are great, but kids and dogs doon't communicate and things can go wrong so quickly.

Each dog is different. Kassa was great by the time she was 12 months old and became the best companion and family member anyone could wish for.

Hope you feel a bit better today. Come in and share any time. You will find most of us have been there and sharing it always helps.

Gorgeous dog. Please share more pics when you have time. I am sure you must be busy with a pup and a family.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

We must have posted at the same time. I have a big chocolate girls head on my knee and rambled so took a moment to sumit.

I agree family and children have to come first. It is common so hang in there. I am not sure they do it for that long. Kassa did until she was maybe 6 months old.

One thing we did was when they did it to exaggerate the yelp. Dogs yelp or growl at each other to say that hurt and pup dodn't have anyone to teach them once they leave the mother. I never hit her or touched her...just a loud oww. She got a fright at first then after than realised we didn't like it and stopped. They just want to please us.
    Last edited by kassabella; 07-28-2012 at 02:32 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Thank you so much, that makes me feel soooo much better.. iwas over here sulking to my fiance that Zeke must hate us haha. i will try crating her when she gets to be too much and not only at nap/bed time. i teied doing the yulping thing tonight, my neighbors must have thought i was crazy but it didnt phase Zeke, but ill keep trying

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

The puppy doesn't train himself. He doesn't know what is expected of him. It is up to you to teach him. He is a baby. He's not aggressive, he's playing. You need to train him not to bite, just like house training or anything else. Don't count on Pet Smart or anyone else to do your job for you. You need to be teaching "Don't Bite!" now!! Don't wait. Please don't just toss the boy out in the yard and leave him to his own devises because he isn't trained. All lab puppies have needle sharp teeth and they all have to be trained not to bite. I am confused, originally you said your puppy is male, but in your last post you indicated its female???? It took us a month to teach Sophie not to bite us. My arms were shredded! It is one of the hardest things to teach. It is natural play for them and hard to break them from it. Good luck.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by michelle.p View Post
    I am so stressed out! I just got my first pure bred lab puppy last tuesday evening. my first big dog, period. hes very adorable... light blonde fur, green eyes, bright pink nose.. he is a pet for our family, but i gave him specifically to my daughter (whom is VERY mature and responsible and helpful). He is 7 weeks old (dob, 6/5/12), from a litter of 9 i believe, papers and.all. now ive read up some on labs but i am a rookie... and the things ive been reading tonight are causing serious anxiety.. hes a playful pup, like any dog.. but hes SOOO aggressive !!! I know they have tons of energy... well ive got three children and my fiance has three of his own and my darling cat so needless to say we have a lot of energy and love to give but hes being so aggressive and rough that the children are starting to get scared of him!! He bites and nips at everyone/everything!! He jumps on the kids and bites the back of their legs and feet whenever they are walking... and he wont stop!! Today i had my 12 month old on the ground and he ran up and niped at her ear scaring her to death!! I am an animal lover by far but i will not tolerate this kind of behavior, if somethingcdoesnt get better soon i know hes going to end up an outside dog at best. we are cratectraining and thats going well, a few messes in the house so far but most outside... he seems like a wonderful pup but this biting thing needs to calm down!!! I know hes teething, and ive given him plenty of toys, but he still runs up to the kids and bites their hands/legs/feet and has made most of them cry. i intend on getting him into pup training classes at petsmart but he needs a few more sets of shots first... everything I'm reading online says this stage should pass in 2-5 years!? There is no way he'll last that long if every member of our family begins to despise him for his overbearing , overly aggressive "playful" attitude... ive always wanred a lab, always thought they were sweet, beautiful , wonderful family dogs, but i guess I've never spent much time around a young lab... i was told they were "mouthy" and I'd lose a few shoes but i was NOT prepared for this... please help me keep my sanity !!! i love little Zeke but my families happiness and safety come first
    I never said he wouldnt be part of our family, i simply said if he was going to attack our children for 2-5 years as ice read it can last, that hed probably end up outside.. i have every intention of training him the best i can bit i know that discipline is not appropriate for this age so I'm trying desperately to keep everyone happy, Zeke included.

Thank you so much, that makes me feel soooo much better.. iwas over here sulking to my fiance that Zeke must hate us haha. i will try crating her when she gets to be too much and not only at nap/bed time. i teied doing the yulping thing tonight, my neighbors must have thought i was crazy but it didnt phase Zeke, but ill keep trying

So is this dog a he or a she? I'm confused.

smokey is offline Senior Member

My puppy is only 13 weeks old, we got him at 8 weeks, the first thing we tried to teach him (still a work in progress) besides the crate and potty was the word NO. We also have a ton of toys for him and when he gets mouthy with us we tell him No bite and give him one of his toys. He is already a lot better, he still gets excited and he likes to try and grab onto our clothing, but even my 6 year old knows to tell him no bite and give him his own stuff to bite. We also tell him good boy when he takes his own toy to chew. Try and teach your children not to shriek or squeal when he bites at them, to him that sounds like playing. My son learned that the hard way and they ended up in an almost tug of war with my sons shorts he was wearing. It is a learning process for the whole family, not just the puppy! Trust me, I feel your frustration.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

You got him at 7 wks, instead of 8wks. Sure just one week difference, but in the life of a young pup that is a signficant difference. You will have a more bitey pup as he lost a week's lesson from his littermates.

He is a BABY. He is still getting used to his new environment, a very busy one at that. He has no idea what you want from him right now. This stage will pass, and it will NOT take 2 - 5 years to calm him down & have him behave properly as a Lab should, unless you give up on him and banish him to the backyard. Outside dogs are unhappy dogs. PARTICULARLY this breed. Labs are social dogs that LOVE their humans. If you make him an outside dog, please be kinder and rehome him to someone who has more patience & will allow him to remain a full part of the family.

Petsmart is a crappy training facility (speaking from direct experience) put your money to better use, find a better facility that uses positive training methods. Where are you located? Someone on the board may be able to recommend one for you. But are you prepared for what lies ahead?

He will not be the perfect dog overnight. He may have accidents in your house. He may be bitey for a little while longer. He may chew something of value. He may bark or whine. He will require attention. He will require proper exercise. He needs structure in his life and consistency. Raising a dog is not like raising a cat, it is closer to raising a child. One that cannot talk so you need to be in tune to figure out his needs.

It is typical for someone with a Lab puppy who has not done their homework before obtaining the pup to post as you did. Even those of us who did our homework on the breed encounter some frustrations & post, but not quite so fervently, suggesting in less than a week that he may end up an outside dog "at best." I am sorry, but I feel this puppy was an impulse buy for you & your family. You clearly did zero research before hand, and your research since is not up to par if you think it will take almost 5 years for him to be a normal, functioning part of the family.

Is it possible to return him to the breeder? I normally don't go this route, I prefer to suggest you strive to improve the situation, but I just have a bad feeling for this pup. Don't take this to mean that I am suggesting you are a bad person, I think you just didn't make a well informed decision for you or this puppy. I think you have your hands full & would hate to see this dog end up an outside dog, or a few months from now rehomed which would make the transition harder on him.

Labs are FABULOUS dogs, wonderful companions for adults and children. But if you feel you got in over your head, be honest now & do what is best for the pup. Whether that means you get it, you need to be patient & work through this & he will be worth it, or rehome him.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast