looking for suggestions...

Thread: looking for suggestions...

smokey is offline Senior Member

Defaultlooking for suggestions...

In addition to Smokey, our 13 week old black lab, we have an 11 month old cavalier spanielXchihuahua that we adopted last fall. We earlier this summer lost our 9 year old corgi. Ginny (the little dog) misses him as much or more than we do. Since bringing home Smokey she has been a much happier dog, playful and generally just happier, the problem is she is too playful. I am sure everyone here can appreciate the playfulness of a lab pup...this little girl is nuts with our lab puppy, to the point I think is too much play for him. My issue is I do not want to crate them more than necessary, I am home full time right now and my son is home from school, we crate them when we leave for a couple of hours and overnight. They both crate beautifully with no issues. We have a fairly small house with an open floor plan and the only two rooms that are off limits to the dogs are my son's bedroom (legos and puppies are a bad mix) and the bathroom (household cleaners and such are stored there) I am wondering what your opinions are of maybe gating them to separate rooms when the lab needs a break from the crazy chi? They love each other and play well together she just is relentless and I can tell he gets tired of it. Do you think I will create another problem by separating them for a while? would I be better off to crate one of them or both of them when I think the baby needs his own time? I don't want to sound ignorant I just want to do what is best for them both until some of this wears off.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Your story made me giggle, when we got Maxx last September I felt sorry for my Lab/Border Collie mix who was 5 at the time. HE, (Maxx), never left her alone! I just separated them when I felt it was necessary and it never caused any problems between the 2 of them. Good luck.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'd crate the puppy. He needs a lot of sleep at this age anyway. I'd also work on teaching them both a command to get them to cool it when you think it's gotten out if hand. That said, unless somebody is getting hurt or you feel the adult dog is bullying the puppy, I'd let them work most of it out themselves. In a few weeks the puppy will be much larger than the adult and then things will probably be different.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank You for responding! I'm kind of waiting for the moment he realizes he is already much bigger than her, just not quite as quick and pretty clumsy with his big feet. Maybe he is just a gentleman and that is ok too. I will put him in his crate with a kong when I think he has had enough. Our old dog barely had to let out a soft growl and she quit immediately. She isn't mean, just very hyper.

DefaultHere they are:

Smokey "the baby" and Ginny "the BIG sister" he is already much bigger than her, he just hasn't figured it out yet! He is doing well getting an extra nap alone in his crate as long as we keep her away from his crate while he is in it! She is just so excited to have him!
    Attached Images Attached Images

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Erns is a girls blouse when it comes to females. He lets them lie all over him and puts up with it. (As Gems is in the pic). I usually let them work it out. If he gets sick of it he goes to his crate and closes the door. We call it his man cave. I do watch if food is involved or he lets them have his.

We have gates as I don't want them in some rooms. When Erns was younger he chewed Sams bed while Sam was asleep on it. I would take Erns out and put the gate up so Sam had some peace. They still got on well.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/