If only....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If only....

lelson223 is offline Junior Member

DefaultIf only....

Our new puppy is 9 weeks old and doing absolutely fantastic! Got him 2 weeks ago and would say he is about 98% housebroken, sleeps GREAT through the night (did so from the first night we brought him home), knows how to "sit", knows his name, understands "treat" ....BUT.....IF ONLY WE COULD STOP THE BITING!. The biting on people is just something he doesn't understand! We all use the same phrase "no bite" to get him to stop and hopefully this phase ends soon. He is a wonderful puppy so I know he will learn soon..just frustrating! I have been reading all the threads on this forum and everyone has offered GREAT advice for biting. Hopefully all the suggestions work. If anyone has any tried and true methods....I am open for suggestions.
    This is our second lab (first one had to be put to sleep at the age of 12 about 2 months ago). Didn't think we would get another puppy but missed him so much. This puppy is so much more relaxed and his temperment seems to be a lot less "high strung" as our first lab. Can't say enough about labs...they are the most gentle dogs ever...we just love them!!!
    Love this forum too...great suggestions and advice!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

For starters, thank you for searching the forum on your question instead of just posting!

My only advice would be:

Pick ONE method, make it uniform - everyone that interacts with your pup must do the same thing - be consistent, be patient, maintain the same method for at least 4 weeks - though hopefully it will not take that long. It is when you are inconsistent, lose patience and continually change methods that things don't work. And yes, this too shall pass, though it sounds like you are already well aware!

Good luck & post some pics!

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Puppies are mouthy, and yours might be more so because it left its mom/siblings before it was 8 weeks old. Puppies initially learn bite inhibition from their mom/litter mates. It might take a little more work, but it can be overcome.

I agree with Diesel_Dawg, you have to be consistent. What worked with Bauer was removing ourselves from the situation. If he got too excited and started biting, we would squeal (like his litter mates would have), and leave the room. It didn't take long before he knew that teeth on skin meant that the play was OVER.

Good luck!!
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks to both of your for your responses. He really is an awesome puppy. We are working on the consistency, realizing this is important. We are looking forward to when he grows out of this phase.
    Not sure I know how to post a picture...I will try. Echo.jpg

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

It took about a month of putting a hand around Sophie's muzzle and commanding "don't bite!" It was like one day a light bulb went off and she figured out what all the fuss was about. It was really, one day she was biting us, the next she had quit! Whew! Those needle sharp teeth shred your arms and hands! Where are you located? Post pics! We love pics around here
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Omg he is CUTE! Btw, I used the same method with Diesel that Debi used with Bauer. Only thing that worked for us, and saw results much quicker than any other method tried!

Ace.jpg Here is a picture of our first lab...RIP Ace!

Ace was a handsome Lab, so sorry for your loss.

Thanks! Really miss how well trained Ace was. Kinda forgot about all the puppy stuff but loving it every minute. I heard about the "squealing" method just this morning from a friend. Gonna give that a try.
    Love reading this forum. Lots and lots for great advice!

@Sophiesmama: We live in Ohio.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast