toilet training

Thread: toilet training

tregs27 is offline Junior Member

Defaulttoilet training

Had our beautiful choc lab 3 days now and need some advice on toilet training - she is 8 weeks, 5 days old. Her living space is our kitchen/living room within which she has her crate. Her designated toilet space is near the door to the hall, but she keeps peeing/pooing everywhere but. Constantly watching her and know the signs and pick her up and place her on the paper and say go pee, but she just wanders off and relieves herself elsewhere, she is very quick at getting around the back of the table and chairs so is peeing by the time I get to her! I have wooden flooring (thank goodness) so I have thoroughly cleaned the whole floor with the repellent liquid which today seems to have worked as she has twice gone half on half off the paper. These times I have said go pee whilst she is peeing and good girl when she has finished with a little puppy treat, so hoping this will work.

I know she has to be trained to go outside, but our kitchen/living room is on the upper floor. Our outside area is well enclosed but surrounding the flag stones are pebbles, so when she goes outside she heads straight for them and proceeds to eat them (well in the mouth so I have to get them out). I can be out there for more than 30 mins placing her in the correct area saying go pee but no success - then when she comes in she needs to pee and not where she should inside!!

Would it be helpful to get a play pen for outside so I can teach her to go pee within that when outside so she has no other distractions - like pebbles! I am thinking because I am training her inside on paper as well as outside this is confusing her, the paper is near the door near the stairs in order to carry her outside.

How long on average to you keep placing your puppy on the paper and say go pee? Are we talking 15 mins or more here, as that what seems to happen, with no success as she goes off and pees elsewhere, or when outside she waits to come in?

Advice please!!! I am totally inexperienced with dogs as this is my first, but some of the internet research I have read is conflicting so thought best to ask you guys the experts!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

- put her in the crate, door closed when you cannot supervise directly (crate should be just big enough to get up and turn around until she is trained
    - take her out often. it can be every 20 minutes at some point in the day
    - supervise supervise supervise. even if it means you tether her to you (tie a leash around your waist so puppy has to be with you).
    - get rid of potty pad, paper, etc. no space in the house should be "ok" to pee in
    - clean all accidents with a product that nuetralizes the odor like Nature's Miracle. household cleaners do not to a good enough job, they leave an odor (to the dog's nose, not ours).
    - keep her on leash when you go outside, away from the rocks
    - when she pees outside, big party. i mean BIG party. tons of praise, treats and play.
    - be outside with her, make sure she pees. it is normal for puppies to not want to be outside alone (nor should they be unsupervised as they can get into trouble fast - and you already know she likes the rocks).

repeat.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Samson is offline Senior Member

At that young age, they have a bladder the size of a pea ! I have had to wait outside 30 minutes plus before I got a result then praise like mad to show them how good they are.

Best time to go out with them is of coure immediately after they have been fed ! I have never tried training pads and if you can manage it, you should have numerous trips outside and praise every time that she goes.

Keep her on a lead so that she can't get to the pebbles !

Oh - did I mention praise her when she performs !

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hopehik is offline Member

The 8-12 week period for potty training (maybe even to 16 weeks), is a lot of work. Up early to bring them out, feed, outside again (all on a lead). Then interact with them throughout the day so you bond. Puppies are so curious and learn with their mouths, so pay attention and provide a frozen sock (wet, knotted, frozen) for teething along with a kong with kibble for the crate. Crate time is crucial so the feel safe and secure. Training with potti pads can be an uphill battle and I would certainly discourage it, no short cuts to a well trained dog, it all takes time. Stay determined it will all work out.

tregs27 is offline Junior Member

Many thanks for the advice. I kept her outside with me for over 2 1/2 hours this afternoon - thank goodness we have dry weather at the minute! She'd had her meal and drink and 1/2 hour later we went outside. I bought a padded harness for her today, which is amazing as she is not pulling around on it so much while outside so i can control her better. About 1 hour later she fell asleep, still no wee. When she woke up it was another hour before she went for a wee. Praised like mad, all 4 family members there by then, and I gave her a treat and she came in the house. Got upstairs and she did 2 wees on the paper in quick succession of each other! I did praise her again as I was just pleased she actually went there of her own free will, rather than me carrying her. As you all have said, I need to change this so she cannot wee in the house.

Tomorrow I will remove the paper and take her outside lots and lots. Is it best to take her out for 1/2 hour and if no wee bring her in, or keep her outside until she does? As you can see she can hold her wee quite well already - 2 hours, although she will do about 3 or 4 wees within 1/2 hour of each other. She has been dry overnight for 2 nights (not her first night but it was her first night away from her brothers/sisters). She's had her last wee at around 10pm and then she's not needed to go until around 5am or later. Mind you last night she did a lot of whining in her crate which was just for attention as at midnight she woke up, whined very loudly. I went to see her, she was dry in the crate so I closed it up, lights off and went away again. Boy did she howl, but it was only for 1/4 hour and then silent again and I didn't go up. She whined again at 5am which I thought must be for the toilet, but she didn't actually go until 6.30am. Love the advice about the frozen sock, will give that a try. thanks again and I'll keep you all posted. Its a big learning curve for both dog and me!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I would personaly not leave a puppy outside unattended, they can get into lots of trouble. If she does not go, bring her in and put her in the crate (door closed) and try again in a few minutes. You can work on associating a word/commeand to peeing as well to help in the future.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky