Did I create a monster?

Thread: Did I create a monster?

Mekeymoke is offline Junior Member

DefaultDid I create a monster?

My pup is 8 months and still has no manners. He has gotten better with the biting but the chewing and destruction of anything and everything has not stopped. He has lots of chew toys but they dont seem to be enough. I know he mostly just wants attention but I do have to do other things besides entertain him.

Any advice? I can't keep him on leash in the house and I don't want to crate him all the time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

how much exercise is he getting daily (what type and how long?)

for chew toys - don't leave them all out, they lose their value. put all but 2 away. then randomly rotate (remove the two that were out and give him two of the ones you put away)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Honestly, the crate can be your best friend. If you train it correctly, it is not a bad place for your dog, but a place of security and somewhere your dog (and you) can take a break and be happy. Trained correctly, your dog will happily and voluntarily go there. Trained correctly, it is a happy place.

All my dogs (two seven year olds and two eight month olds), and all the board and train dogs that I have through here (and many are not/have never been crated), know just by the way I move that they are to go to their crate (I do not have to even 'ask' them), and they run for their crates and stick their head out waiting for their treat. There is training involved, but within a day or two they get the idea.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

Take a class and practice training.you might "have other things" to do but if you dont do this you will have an annoying, untrained animal.
    And learn when to use the crate- not just to get him away from you.is he getting enough exercise?

Mekeymoke is offline Junior Member

I thought he was getting enough exercise because he runs around our acre of land chasing any squirrels, rabbits, birds he can find and I throw the ball around at least twice a day. The backyard is a pretty steep hill and he runs up and down fetching the ball. Maybe he needs more exercise. I take him swimming once in awhile and he gets really tired by the end of the day but I can't take him to the river everyday.

We did some in house obedience when he was younger and even the trainer said he was a stubborn dog.

bett is offline Senior Member

i don't know what kind of exercise he gets when you yourself are not exercising. you may think he exercises, all by himself, but i'm not so sure that's real exercise.
    i'm very surprised the trainer would say he was stubborn-in relation to what? most labs want to please their owners, even if a bit strong willed (i have one of those) but stubborn? i think you need to practice what you've learned and enroll in a class as well. it helps the bond form between owner and dog, as well as giving them something to do, and listen to. and then practice throughout the day, what you have learned. it really doesnt take all that much time to do, while you are doing stuff around the house. you know , stuff like "here, sit, stay, wait, come, nice" and in between throw a toy for him to retrieve and give back to you.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I found keeping their minds active is good too. Play find games or give them jobs like fetching my slippers. As a pup Kassa chewed my best shoes, remotes, anything she could get her mouth on. I taught her to bring me my slippers so as a source of treats she stopped chewing them.
    I did the same thing with Erns when I adopted him at 3.5. He still chews things, so things he loves I don't leave around for him to get.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

He needs structured excercise: walking on a leash with you for a mile or more. Obedience will do wonders for a bored dog too. Teach him tricks too!

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous