Constant barking at the door!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constant barking at the door!

Jimmyfan914 is offline Senior Member

DefaultConstant barking at the door!

We have 2- 3 month old labs. The Yellow boy is soooo mellow.
    The Black girl on the other hand...

She will sit at the door and bark and scream and yell until she gets let in. Even inside she is a barker. I know that it is just her make up, but what tricks are their to help cure this? I can't really be the "ignore" Dad, because it is disturbing our neighbors now.
    Any tricks/tips/advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lauren. is offline Member

my puppy also does this and shes 4month now, she will start scratching the door until she gets let out or in..

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You're leaving a 3 month old Lab outdoors without supervision with another puppy out there to get into trouble with? That's not a great idea. They are both too young to be unsupervised.

Puppies that bark a lot generally need to be more mentally engaged. What training/play/exercise activities are you doing with these puppies separately?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zonapups is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    You're leaving a 3 month old Lab outdoors without supervision with another puppy out there to get into trouble with? That's not a great idea. They are both too young to be unsupervised.
    ^^^ I learned my lesson with my two 3 month old's when my boy happily brought me a chunk of insulation wrapped around our A/C unit pipes outside. My girl then brought me more. We have a doggy door so they can let themselves in and out. They are what I call well-behaved trouble makers. Lesson learned: they are no longer allowed outside unsupervised except for their 5 minute potty break. No exceptions. If they are gone longer then 5 minutes we go and bring them back in.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Puppies that bark a lot generally need to be more mentally engaged. What training/play/exercise activities are you doing with these puppies separately?
    ^^^^Agreed! My girl barked ALL THE TIME including 4AM IN THE MORNING! Turns out she was bored. I took this advice and started more training/play/exercise activities separately and she rarely barks now. I now take them for separate walks in the morning (the other gets special training and play time while the other is out for their walk) and a group walk in the evening. Extra exercise and play time worked wonders for us. Just when you think you are giving enough give more. Sometimes just "enough" isn't enough.

If she barks as much as you say she does and she is getting plenty of play/exercise maybe try and teach her to "speak" and then a "quiet" command. I know there is a "quiet" command. I haven't gotten far enough into training to research how to teach that command. Someone else might know it. My girl knows "speak" now since she was sooooo good at barking. She also knows if she barks out of command no treat PERIOD!

Leo and Zoey - born 4/21/12. The loves of my life (other than the hubby)

We have a well secured, fenced yard with grass/shade for them. Nothing to get into trouble with other than their toys. Trust me, it works.

I like the advice on separate training and stimulation. We tend to take them both at the same time for walks and play and such. I think I will spend a little more separate time with Wrigley. That might work, she is a needy pup.

The Lil' Princess

Last edited by Jimmyfan914; 07-19-2012 at 03:11 PM.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

they absolutely, positively MUST spend time away from one another DAILY. crated separately, separate walks as often as possibly (if not daily) and when training one on one (with the other in another room or go outside in the yard with the one you are training). This is a MUST for littermates. Remember they are two SEPERATE dogs that require SEPERATE time and training, not a "pair" that should do everything together.

Dogs can find many ways to get into trouble when unsupervised from chewing the house, digging, pulling, barking, etc. etc. etc.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

zonapups is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyfan914 View Post
    We have a well secured, fenced yard with grass/shade for them. Nothing to get into trouble with other than their toys. Trust me, it works.
    You will reconsider that comment when you go to bring them in and they are covered in dirt and bring you a huge patch of grass in their mouth. Oh yes my two have done this too! I was not a happy momma that day. I have a fenced in yard with grass and a flagstone covered patio....let me tell you they can still get in lots and lots of trouble. When you think you figured out everything they can get into they will surprise you with something new.

I like the advice on separate training and stimulation. We tend to take them both at the same time for walks and play and such. I think I will spend a little more separate time with Wrigley. That might work, she is a needy pup.
    Early warning....make sure someone helps you when you first start out taking them on separate walks or be prepared to crate her and deal with her crying. My hubby didn't understand why it was needed until I took my boy and left my girl in her pen. She CRIED LOUDLY! I could hear her clear as day outside. He then understood. We take turns now but he will usually stay back and work on training and some play time while the other is out on the walk with me. She is much better now but that first week was rough.

Leo and Zoey - born 4/21/12. The loves of my life (other than the hubby)

The Lil' Princess

If you don't train each of them separately and do lots of activities and walks with them separately, you will find her neediness turns into a debilitating dependency on the other dog. It's the biggest mistake people make when getting 2 puppies at once. It is a massive undertaking to do it properly.

And I guess you are going to do what you wish as far as leaving them unsupervised in the yard. I hope it does not turn into a medical emergency for one of your pups.

Labs will and do eat anything and everything. They will eat rocks. They will chew your bushes down to the ground. They will dig out of your fenced yard if allowed enough time unsupervised. They will get bored and they will find a way to entertain themselves in a manner most homeowners would not be happy with. I hope your experience is different, but I'd bet your puppies will eventually prove my point for you.

Not my first rodeo with Labs.

Not my first rodeo with Labs.
    Oh. Ok. But you need advice about barking?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast