Need some help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help

sofieann is offline Member

DefaultNeed some help

I rescued a Chocolate Lab about two months ago, she was house trained. However I am having other problems. My other dog and cat, they have both passed, used to pee in my dining room. I tried to clean it up as much as I could using the neutralizing products. This did not work very well. Sofie is now using my dining room as a pee area. I know it's because she smells the pee from my other dog. I am looking to replace the carpet. I of course do not want her peeing on the new carpet. If I replace the carpet and "Kills" the floor under it, will this help to keep her from peeing on the new carpet? She's a very good dog and is really well trained. We are taking her to classes, and she does very well. I do believe she had some training before we got her. I just don't want her to think it's OK to pee in the dining room. Is it true she won't "remember" that she once was peeing in there once the smell is gone? I would appreciate any help I can get.

I sure wish this thing had spell check as I am a horrible speller. Sorry for any misspellings.
    In memory of Morgan Marie. January 1996 to August 2009

This is Sofie Ann

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

treat her like a puppy. supervise and crate when you cannot to avoid her being able to go away and pee.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

We do create her when we are gone and at night. She follows me everywhere I go too. She has somehow slipped away to pee in the dining room. Her other problem is her letting us know when she needs to go out. She will stand by the door, and if I am in the kitchen I will let her out and she will do her business. If I am in another room sometimes she just comes and looks at me and I have to guess what she wants. I bought some bells to hang on the door, but she won't use them. She also won't let us know when she is ready to come in other than scratching the door, or the window and she has ripped the screen. This dog does not bark! The only time she barks is if she hears something that spooks her. Our training guy really doesn't give much advise on things like this, I don't know why, I guess he wants us to pay for further training...

This is Sofie Ann

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

have you tried nature's miracle?

at the end of the day you need to stop her from sneaking
    off and getting there to pee, same as with a puppy. if you have to tether her to you, put a bell on her, gate off the dining - whatever it takes to stop her from scooping off. there is no secret training technique and if this has been going on a while it is probably routine and she may very well keep going even if you changed the flooring.

also, get into the habit of letting her outside to pee more often. don't just wait for her to ask. i would be anal about getting her outside every hour if i had to for a while and praise when she goes outside (again - train her like she is a puppy).

did you train the bells?

Yes, I have tried the nature's miracle, but it didn't really work. I have the training bells on the door and I ring them and say "outside" then open the door, but I'm not sure she gets it. I hate to not let her out till she uses them. She does seem to be a little afraid of them. I put a treat on them and she went and got it. I haven't tried this again, but when she got it I opened the door and again said "outside." She also hates going outside by herself and expects someone to come with her. Many times if she is out by herself she just lays there and doesn't go potty. I do appreciate your feedback.

This is Sofie Ann

so then go outside with her, train her to pee on command, praise and reward when she does. Once she has the potty command down pat, you can tell her to go pee from the door (don't hurry this stage, make sure she really knows the command first) and watch her then let her in. Then supervise her like a puppy inside the house and make sure to get her outside often and that she pees (again, even if you have to go outside with her). keep things simple.

Regarding training for bells, this is a good technique - you want the dog to ring them (even if you have to gently "bring their paw to the bell")
    Poochie-Bells Suggested Training Method

My dog doesn't do anything but sit at the door when he is outside on his own as well. it's normal, lots of dogs have no interest in being outside alone.

Thanks, for all your help. I've taken her outside twice this afternoon and she peed both times. I praised her when she did, and we came right back in. It's so hot here we don't want to stay out for long anyway. 106 today. Is there somewhere I can find out how to make her pee on command? I know show dogs do this, so I don't believe it when some say it can't be done. I don't have any problems with her pooping outside, she goes to the door and just looks at me, but never poops in the house.

This is Sofie Ann

BTW your dogs are adorable!

This is Sofie Ann

zonapups is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sofieann View Post
    106 today. Is there somewhere I can find out how to make her pee on command? I know show dogs do this, so I don't believe it when some say it can't be done. I don't have any problems with her pooping outside, she goes to the door and just looks at me, but never poops in the house.
    It's been a nice 98 here but the weather channel says 100+ by the weekend with a chance of more monsoon weather (yippee!). I taught my pups "Go potty." Every time we took them out we said "Let's go potty." When they went we praised them as they went pee/poop by saying "Good potty." Then we say "Ok let's go back inside" to end the session. Now when we tell them to go potty they go potty. If they don't have to go they sit and give us the "but mom I don't have to go" stare when we take them out. We still keep them out for extra time but if they don't go after 15 minutes we bring them back in and give them the "Ok let's go back inside" and try again later. We haven't had any accidents after 3 weeks of this routine.

I agree with other members...keep taking her out on a consistent basis and watch her like a hawk in the house. If she has a problem with that area gate it off. If you bring her in there bring her AFTER she has already gone potty. If she starts to pee or poop you need to catch her quickly or as she is doing it if you are not fast enough and take her outside even if that is mid-elimination. Once she finishes outside, PRAISE PRAISE and PRAISE some more. It does work...just takes patience and time. It does get better.

Leo and Zoey - born 4/21/12. The loves of my life (other than the hubby)

An update as to how Sofie is doing. I am trying to get her to go potty on demand. I have been taking her out on leash, and saying "get busy" and when she starts to go I keep quite. When she is done I praise and praise. She is doing very well so far. I have been watching her like a hawk, and I don't think she has gone in the dinning since I discovered she was going there.
    Thanks for all the advise!!!

This is Sofie Ann

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast