"Leave It!"

Thread: "Leave It!"

BlueBelle's Dad is offline Junior Member

Default"Leave It!"

My 12 week old girl, BlueBelle, is doing really well considering she came to us at just four weeks old. She is obviously smart and a quick learner. She has learned "sit" and "shake." She also will stop chewing (or any other negative behavior) when I say "No," she will get off the furniture or stop jumping on my leg when I say "down," and has learned "no bite."

Now, I'm trying to teach "leave it." Man, this is a tough one! I would like to hear some of your success stories when it comes to training a pup to "leave it." I'm not having much luck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

I probably taught leave it the wrong way but both my boys have it down solid now. I would put them in a sit and put a treat on the ground and then I would say leave it(while bringing out a different treat), when they looked at me for the other treat they got a good boy and the treat. After they got that down I took away the extra treat and would say Leave it and they had to look away from it for 5 seconds then got re-warded then I just worked my way up. Now when I say leave it they don't even bother to look at it(they still get treats though )
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

FLMike is offline Member

I taught our girls by putting my foot over something they were interested in and saying "leave it." Once they acknowledged that (attention back on me and not on the item) they would get a treat. Also on walks they would become interested in something on the ground. I will give a quick little tug on the lead and say "leave it." Now when they see something that I don't want them messing with the command Leave It works without a tug or anyother action.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zonapups is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by deidra View Post
    I probably taught leave it the wrong way but both my boys have it down solid now. I would put them in a sit and put a treat on the ground and then I would say leave it(while bringing out a different treat), when they looked at me for the other treat they got a good boy and the treat. After they got that down I took away the extra treat and would say Leave it and they had to look away from it for 5 seconds then got re-warded then I just worked my way up. Now when I say leave it they don't even bother to look at it(they still get treats though )
    I taught my boy a similar way based on a video a coworker sent me by Victoria Stillwell. Same concept, slightly different execution. I put my pup in a sit, one treat in one hand in a fist, the other treat in my other hand held behind my back. I let the pup sniff my fist for the treat. When he stopped and started to back his head away I gave a immediate "Leave it" then rewarded with the other treat and "good boy." Repeated a few times then I tested him by giving the "Leave it" command to see if he understood. If he left (by backing away from my fist) it I rewarded and treated him. If it didn't I repeated the first step. Once he had a good hang of it I showed him the treat in my hand and gave him the command. If he left it I rewarded and treated. If he didn't I started over again from step 2. If the pup loses interest in your fist show her the treat to regain her interest.

We are two weeks in on "Leave it" and he is actually mostly leaving things alone upon command. The mesquite pods have proven a little harder but that's when I'm grateful I taught him "drop it."

Be prepared to have your fist slightly chewed up if your pup has a bad biting problem. If you have too much of a biting problem, use a flip flop to cover the treat on the ground. Same concept, just modify the execution similar to deidra's to get the same result.

Good luck!