What should I do if my lad is not a fan of dog food.(Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Thread: What should I do if my lad is not a fan of dog food.(Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Jonathan0801 is offline Junior Member

DefaultWhat should I do if my lad is not a fan of dog food.(Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

My lab is 100 days old and has been with me for 40 days since I bought him home. Since day one, I found he doesnt like food, in particular dog food, it doesnt mean he might have digestive problems. Judging by his elimination( which is solid with normal color) and his wet nose, he is unlikely to have been suffering from stomach problems. Its just he may spend 20mins to several hours to finish a normal meal, which is very frustrating. Over the last one month, with this tiring eating habit, however he grew considerably, to 30 pounds, which is ok. But I want to get some advices on how to change his annoying eating habit. I tried several times, such as giving him the food with a time limit in hope to "tell" him if he doesnt eat now he would have to wait for another 6 hours for the next meal. Then I waited for 6 hours, he once again walked away from the food. I tried another time, another 6 hours later, he acted the same. Considering he hadnt eatten for almost 24 hours, I stopped testing, leaving the food on the floor, then he walked back and forth, then spent nearly two hours(multiple times) to finish a normal meal. Pissed! ha-ha. Please help. Should I stick to the plan, alway let him finish a meal within several minitues, otherwise he has to wait for the next meal, next meal, next meal until he couldnt take it any more???? Help !

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

given he is just 3mts old I would talk to a vet if you have any you can get to. at that age I don't mess around when it comes to health.

What are you feeding him? how much? How are you feeding it (do you put water to mush it up?)
    at 40 days he shoudl have still been eating his mom's milk.

Is he at the food bowl all that time or does he nibble here and there over 20 minutes?
    how often do you feed her per day?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Are there various quality levels of dog food in China? I would find the best quality you can afford or learn how to make homemade for your dog.

I don't usually advocate for this - and pardon me if this seems offensive - but given what we've seen from quality control in Chinese made animal food products, I would be really, really concerned about what's in the food.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for your care. I took him home when he was 75 days old when he had stopped eating mom's milk. I have fed him 3 times a day with a relatively fixed schedule ever since day one. I feed him the amount of food suggested on the food package, from 80-120g each time as he grew. Yeah I also soaked the food in the water for mins before you got the food. 20 mins is the shortest time he finished his normal meal. Basically he finishes his food alternatively with playing or something else.

Yes, many different prices and I chose one of the best, or expensive dog food in China. Royal Canin is the name of the brand. I thought about homemade dog food, but I don't think it would be a good idea since my lad, Dingding is only 100days old.
    But I really appreciate your concern.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Royal Canin is a good food. Since it is one you can get in China I would stick with that. Watch giving him doggy treats made in China. I would give him home-cooked or raw treats instead. You can spice up his kibble by adding veggies. I use whatever I am cooking that day. I often use green beans, carrots, peas, and potatoes mixed in the kibble. Even a little chicken or beef you have cooked is a nice treat. Just make sure he still eats his kibble, he needs the balanced diet in the food. So mix a little treat in once in awhile. Also, a pup that age should have his kibble mixed with warm water. Sophie has never been like other labs that wolfs down her food. She is easily distracted and will wonder off and back from time to time. Sometimes, if I fix her food bowl and sit it by me, I can call her to eat and she will be less distracted. I laughingly say she has a might short attention span!
    Last edited by Sophiesmama; 07-12-2012 at 03:55 AM.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye