Begging for food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Begging for food

zonapups is offline Senior Member

UnhappyBegging for food

Hi everyone,

Just need some advice. My pups are 11 weeks and driving my hubby bonkers! Occasionally we will watch a movie and eat on the couch. I have a hectic schedule and sometimes I eat on the couch so I can get some movie/TV time with the hubby before bed. We are still training the pups the OFF command but that will take time. However, last night we ate on the couch and the pups kept jumping up. My hubby got so annoyed he took them both outside with some toys and closed the doggy door so he could eat in peace. When they did that to me I was up on the kitchen counter or dining table to finish eating. We try giving them the sit command but they just don't always listen when they are excited.

It's not like they are starving. They get fed 3 cups over 3 times per day (1 cup per meal). We are currently switching them (on day 6 of 8) to Blue Wilderness so it's not like they aren't getting their fill.

Any tips on teaching them to stop jumping when we have food on the couch? We haven't done any sort of jumping for treats. They see a treat they automatically go into a sit command position. I think we are just going to have to eat at the table or counter if they start jumping at us on the couch but wasn't sure if their was other training tips to stop the habit?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

they're kinda young to realize that begging doesn't work. did anyone feed them off the plates?
    your husband's method is great for peace and quiet while wanting to eat.
    when we first got vangie, who did beg , i used to have all 3 in the kitchen, lying down, while we ate. no one moved a muscle and eventually, she learned it won't help her to beg. but they aren't 11 weeks old.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'd crate them during your meals.

Are you investing the time to train these puppies separately fom each other? A big problem with have 2 the same age is that it's much harder to train them effectively - and you really can't train them as a set. You need to devote time every day to train them as individuals.

And - that does not sound like enough food to me for growing puppies. I would have them at 4.5-5 cups of food daily for most puppy foods. 1 1/2 cups at each meal.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

You could crate them during meals.

You could leash them & have a foot on the leash so if they try to jump they get yanked back down -- I'd throw an "off" in there as well -- you may end up having jumpers on people when you walk them & this is a very effective way to correct that behaviour as well.

Yes with puppies you need to make some adjustments to your routines and habits, but there are some, such as this that you should not have to. Avoiding it isn't fixing it.

Agree with Sharon about giving them separate training times. I'm assuming they are from the same litter? Dogs just like man are not created equal, even if the same litter they both have their individual brains and personalities!

Oh and can you post a pic?! Your avatar is too small to really see them!

Thanks everyone for the info. We aren't crate training and having a leash on them in the house isn't very safe with these two. They don't normally jump on us or our guests. We've been training them not to jump and to stay off the couch and they have been very good about it. Leo normally doesn't jump on the couch but I wouldn't put it past Zoey. We are working on her. She is taking a bit longer with this command but she will get it eventually. It just alarmed us that both were jumping at my husband after we repeatedly told them "Off and sit." They never jump on us while we eat at the kitchen table so usually if they don't listen I get up and eat my food at the table and I don't give them any attention until I'm done. This may be why they didn't jump at me even though we had the same food. We will occasionally give them table scraps but only in the kitchen once we are done with our meal on rare occasions.

Oh and here is a few recent pics of the two of them lounging on the floor after their walks. They really really LOVE their walks.

DSC06665.jpgDSC06663.jpg

Tanya is offline Senior Member

please consider crate training.

And please, make sure these puppies are trained and socialized SEPEATELY. they need time apart daily, especially if you are not crate training in separate crates. You do NOT want to end up with two dogs that are UNALBE TO FUNCTION when separated. that means taking one to a separate room to train (or outside) and the other is out of site. separate walks. separate meetings with new people and dogs. etc. etc. etc. DO NOT raise these TWO dogs are ONE UNIT. they are separate beings and need one on one time to be trained and loved to develop a bond with you the humans.

And it sounds like they both need more daily training. They are training YOU from the sounds of it (the fact YOU move if they bug you when you eat at the couch). You need to get on top of these two NOW - otherwise you will have two 75+ pound dogs jumping on you.

Are you taking puppy classes?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    And - that does not sound like enough food to me for growing puppies. I would have them at 4.5-5 cups of food daily for most puppy foods. 1 1/2 cups at each meal.
    Their food says 3 1/4 cups by 12 weeks. They barely eat the 3 cups we give them as is and the vet said to hold at 3 cups during the switch then increase to 3 1/4 cup when they are fully on Blue. They are getting a check up this week and she is going to advise us how much to increase by and when till their next check up. They are gaining 2+lbs each week and when we give them more than 1 cup during a feeding they only eat a cup so I think they are fine with what they are getting.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

some articles on raising littermates. It is not twice the work but ten times the work and very hard to do "right". Please read.

Raising Siblings

Raising and Training Littermates

Living with Littermates

Austin Dog Trainer Blog: Adopting littermates?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by zonapups View Post
    Thanks everyone for the info. We aren't crate training and having a leash on them in the house isn't very safe with these two. They don't normally jump on us or our guests. We've been training them not to jump and to stay off the couch and they have been very good about it. Leo normally doesn't jump on the couch but I wouldn't put it past Zoey. We are working on her. She is taking a bit longer with this command but she will get it eventually. It just alarmed us that both were jumping at my husband after we repeatedly told them "Off and sit." They never jump on us while we eat at the kitchen table so usually if they don't listen I get up and eat my food at the table and I don't give them any attention until I'm done. This may be why they didn't jump at me even though we had the same food. We will occasionally give them table scraps but only in the kitchen once we are done with our meal on rare occasions.

Oh and here is a few recent pics of the two of them lounging on the floor after their walks. They really really LOVE their walks.

DSC06665.jpgDSC06663.jpg
    I agree with Tanya, please consider crate training. What do you do with them when they are home alone? Where do they sleep? How is the potty training going?

It does sound like they are training you more so than you training them, lol. They are likely bugging you on the couch since they correlate you eating = table scraps, but don't understand why it only happens at a certain place. Personally, until they are trained and manageable I would cut out the table scraps altogether. Or if you insist on it as a treat then you may have to incorporate it in your meal time regardless of where you decide to eat -- though I think that would be a bad idea as you would be rewarding bad behaviour.

Training a puppy requires consistency and follow through.

Why would it be a bad idea to leash them indoors? I meant that you would be hanging onto the end of the leash. If they are that unruly indoors on leash then are you having troubles walking them as well - outdoors?

Tanya's post about the importance of training them separately and giving them time alone (without each other) makes total sense. It would be heartbreaking to see them yearn for one another should you one day have to rush one to the e-vet and not be able to take/manage the other. They really do need to be independent of one another. They also need to have one on one time with you and your husband to ensure they develop that important bond and listen individually.

They are super cute puppies!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    please consider crate training.

And please, make sure these puppies are trained and socialized SEPEATELY. they need time apart daily, especially if you are not crate training in separate crates. You do NOT want to end up with two dogs that are UNALBE TO FUNCTION when separated. that means taking one to a separate room to train (or outside) and the other is out of site. separate walks. separate meetings with new people and dogs. etc. etc. etc. DO NOT raise these TWO dogs are ONE UNIT. they are separate beings and need one on one time to be trained and loved to develop a bond with you the humans.

And it sounds like they both need more daily training. They are training YOU from the sounds of it (the fact YOU move if they bug you when you eat at the couch). You need to get on top of these two NOW - otherwise you will have two 75+ pound dogs jumping on you.

Are you taking puppy classes?

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    I agree with Tanya, please consider crate training.
    I wanted to crate train but my hubby objected. His parents raised all their dogs without a crate so he was not going to do it either.

What do you do with them when they are home alone? Where do they sleep? How is the potty training going?
    Since I lost out on the crate training hubby agreed to install doggy gates in the house. This was our compromise. When we leave they are placed in the designated family room with access to the doggy door. Hubby works from home so they are rarely home alone except when we go out. They sleep with us in the master bedroom. We have toys, a doggy bed and an extra towel in the corner. A puppy pad is on the opposite side of the room for just in case. Most of the time they toss the towel/bed aside and just sleep on the tile. They were quick with the potty training. We had a doggy door installed a few days after we got them. Took 1 hour to teach them to use it and within 4 days they were using it on their own. After two weeks we had no accidents. We no longer have accidents in the bedroom either. They give us one bark and we get up and take them downstairs for potty then back upstairs to bed.

They are likely bugging you on the couch since they correlate you eating = table scraps, but don't understand why it only happens at a certain place.
    I ate on the couch for kicks and giggles and no begging. Came home from my bike ride this morning and there was my hubby giving them scraps on the couch. FIGURES!!! We had a impromptu discussion regarding table scraps so we will see. I feel like I'm training my hubby when he should be training me the cat person. UGH!

Why would it be a bad idea to leash them indoors? I meant that you would be hanging onto the end of the leash. If they are that unruly indoors on leash then are you having troubles walking them as well - outdoors?
    We tried the stomp on the leash when they go to jump on visitors training and I took a terrible spill. Never again! We tried other methods with success. Just have to keep it up. We had another occasion when my hubby let go of the leash for Leo so he could get a drink of water. He got it caught on the doggy gate and it spooked him. He is fine but we now unleash/leash them at the door. They know the drill now and come when called to get leashed up for their walks.

They are very well behaved on walks. We each take one and our neighbors comment they are shocked on how well behaved they are at 11 weeks. We have a no tolerance rule on walks. If they jump/get excited towards another dogs/people we immediately correct them. They are getting better about it and we are having less occasions that require correction.

Tanya's post about the importance of training them separately and giving them time alone (without each other) makes total sense. It would be heartbreaking to see them yearn for one another should you one day have to rush one to the e-vet and not be able to take/manage the other. They really do need to be independent of one another. They also need to have one on one time with you and your husband to ensure they develop that important bond and listen individually.
    We realized this pretty quickly but my job caused lots of issues early on which made this difficult. Can't always plan for coworkers resigning on a sudden notice. We have made adjustments to our schedules so we could have individual time with each. It has been hard but we are carving out more and more time and finding different ways to do it. I'm up at 4am with these two since that is when they get up. My hubby has been helping me walk them at 6am since I refuse to take them both by myself but I will be taking them separately on different days since they are doing great on their walks. I also purchased a doggy bike trailer and Leo has taken a liking to it. He is great in the car so I'm sure he will be great in the trailer. I've been trying to get more time with him as his sister can be annoying attention grabber and this will be my way of doing that since she isn't so fond of the trailer. We are looking into other activities that she likes to give her time too. They are sooo different from each other and we do enjoy that about them.

I'm sorry for the length. I'm really trying to get things right with these two. I've never owned a dog before and my hubby thinks he knows everything since he grew up around them. We got two because he feared I would object to a second dog once the first would be old enough. His parents have always had siblings so I didn't think it would be a huge issue. Just double the trouble right? Wrong!
    Last edited by zonapups; 07-08-2012 at 10:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast