Training by age?

Thread: Training by age?

HarpersFerry is offline Junior Member

DefaultTraining by age?

Hello!
    New member here.. been reading mostly the last few weeks since picking Harper up. What a great resource!

He is now 11wks old and everyone is doing pretty well!

I was wondering if anyone had a general guide of training that should be done by age appropriateness.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum!

I don't think there is such a thing as age appropriateness for training a dog, other than common sense progression in terms of learning the basics then building from there. Did you have anything specific in mind with training Harper? Like agility, field/hunting kind of things? Those types of training involve running & jumping which should be avoided until he's older for proper formation of joints, etc.

Definitely get started asap on the basics - sit, stay, down, leave it, off, no bite, here or come -- recall is probably the most important one really since it could save them from running into dangerous things like traffic.

Post pics! We love pics here

Tanya is offline Senior Member

agree with teh above.
    also look at socializtion which is JUST as important as training. Puppy classe are perfect for this.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies! Pic above.
    Yes, we are working on the stated commands and socialization. That is actually one of the only good things about living in the city with a dog.. you don't have to look very far for people who want to say hello to a cute puppy and he gets used to all sorts of sights and sounds.
    We weren't thinking about agility or hunting.. more "let's not wreck the house and make sure to listen to mom and dad".
    I didn't know if I was being overly ambitious with anything based on that he is still a baby. Since we live in the city and had to get him used to walking on a leash right away, so he is probably ahead in that regard but didn't know if there were any standards for others.

He is doing pretty well with all. New "trick" he learned this week was to run at full speed and get up on the couch... scares me more when he misses than when he makes it up. Of course this is when we are sitting on the couch with baby pirana teeth in all their glory.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Welcome.
    I trained Kass from a that age and she was great. I didn't let her on the furniture or jump and we had a ramp instead of her using the steps to protect her hips. Probably a bit paranoid at the time,but after adopting Erns with severe joint issues I know the pain for him and I so will do it with the next pup.
    It is hard to stop their running, twisting and stuff so I played lots of mind games with her to keep her brain active and tire her out. Get my slippers, pick up her toys, find things. She could find me or teddy anywhere by the time she was 18 months old and loved every moment of it.

Those pirana teeth are horrible.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

He's a cute puppers!

Chester 2012 is offline Junior Member

puppy 003.jpg
    (Click on pic for full size)

Here is our latest adddition at 8 weeks. He is now 3 months and learning well after conquering a stubborn urinary tract infection. The crate is invaluable as far as a training aid goes because it gives you that break you need so you dont lose your sanity when your patience runs thin. Always end your sessions on a positive note if you can. Chester is our second lab and what a handfull! I forgot how another baby in the house was,that's why you have them when you are young.