Do I have to give him away? :(
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I have to give him away? :(

ElTigreChino is offline Junior Member

DefaultDo I have to give him away? :(

Hey everyone, help is needed. :/ i've been training Frodo and taking him for walks and to the dog park and everything, he's healthy and fit. But as im sure you all know he still has his puppy days where he goes completely insane. Except lately he's been going crazy every day.. and he's bitten the stairs and furniture in the house which now needs to be replaced. but as of today, he ripped apart our new couches. i've trained him and he listens to everything i say, and he is confined to a leash when i leave but he reached the couch (new leash..he's bitten 3 leashes in the past 2 days! another story..) and it is completely destroyed. what am i supposed to do with him? my parents say they've had enough of him. but im sure you all understand the bond we share with our labradors. and i cant have him taken away from me.. so please help and any advice is much appreciated. my parents have been telling me to make him an outside dog for a few weeks now, so he can sleep outside in his crate and spend time outside during the day when no one is home instead of being inside but i dont know how to make him be outside more because all this time he's been inside all the time with us.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mistarkos is offline Senior Member

Why don't you use the crate in the house?

If dogs do not go to heaven, then I prefer to follow them where they go.

Monna is offline Member

How old is he? We rescued our two labs a few months ago who are nearly 3yrs, as far as I know they were inside dogs previously but we have them outside when we are not home and they cope fine (although there is the two of them). I think as long as there is a good kennel and enough toys etc to keep him occupied it is surely worth a try?
    Charlie and Beau... Brotherly Love

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mike Richards is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mistarkos View Post
    Why don't you use the crate in the house?
    That makes sense, Crate him when unsupervised, also use a chain leash when you tie him up, make sure there are plenty of chew toys down for him. How old is he, you may have a lot of problems turning him into a outside dog, that's not the way i would go...
    Ozzy Born 19th March 2012

Axel Born 19th Aug 2009

Never moon a werewolf....

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Do you mean a crate or a kennel outdoors? There is a big difference.

I would opt to crate my dog indoors. Much safer.

Of course he is going to chew through a leash if you tie him up in the house and don't supervise him. If your dog is destructive when unsupervised you have to crate them when you are not home. I'm surprised actually that he has not had an intestinal blockage from all of the wood and leashes and furniture he has ingested.

I am sure you got advice to crate train when you were first on this board when he was a young pup, correct?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

You need to supervise your puppy. If you had a human baby, would you just let him be on his own and not be watched? Its the same with your puppy. It is not his fault he has destroyed your furniture, it is yours and your parents. He doesn't know what is expected of him. I recommend you get him in puppy classes immediately. You said you have a crate, use it. NOT outside though. Never, ever crate a dog outside. Terrible things can happen. They can get overheated, choke, or a multitude of things could happen. Don't leave him unsupervised outside either. He'll get into trouble for sure. The thing is, puppies are lots of work. It is just like raising a child. It takes lots of patience...LOTS! As far as the leash goes, our Sophie could chew a leash in half in seconds. We bought her one made of a chain with a hand grip. They have them at Walmart for $6.88. Insane puppy behavior is normal. We laughingly say Sophie runs like a bullet and can destroy a toy, even the ones for big chewers in minutes. Sophie managed to tear my sofa when she was little. I figured out a way to fix it, and I didn't blame her. How is she to know it was a no-no. She had to be taught. Accidents happen, but fewer happen with good supervision. You said you leash him in the house when you leave. That is unsafe. Not only did he get into trouble and eat your sofa, he could have gotten choked. You should use his crate, in the house when you can't be home. Can you ask your parents to help you? Is the responsibility all on you? The best thing for you and your family as well as your dog, is to work together as a family and train him. Please contact a doggy kindergarten or a trainer before you give up on him. Good luck, and please, ask for help anytime you need it.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Garth is offline Registered Users

I'll give you the same advice I gave you 3 months ago when you brought this up. He needs to be re-homed ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by ElTigreChino View Post
    okay thanks a lot guys i actually did have him in a crate until about 4 months of age but i had to move the crate outside because my parents reckon it makes the house look "ugly". so should i leave him in the crate outside when no one is at home? i have done puppy school with him but i really do think he is just bored and lonely.. does anyone have an idea of how i can let him be free in the backyard sometimes? because he broke the fence (straw.. really annoyed parents) and if i let him be in the backyard to do his business he does it then goes to meet people on the street! he is a really funny character.. :P but i need to get him under control just a little bit more. thanks again all of you for the help.
    Obviously nothing has changed.

my parents say they've had enough of him.
    The major problem in this equation is your parents. It's obvious they don't love this dog & want no part of training or looking after him. This poor dog will never have the life it deserves as long as you're still at home. Find a decent home for him where he will be loved & forget about getting another one until you move out of home & get your own house where you & only you are responsible for its training & welfare.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

OMG. Now that Garth has refreshed my memory of this - I agree - your parents don't seem to have this dog's best interests in mind at all. Crating a dog outdoors is very cruel in my opinion. It's winter there, right? In a crate he won't have any ability to generate body heat and is exposed to the elements.

Google for the nearest Labrador rescue association and find him a home where he is wanted because clearly your parents don't want and can't tolerate a dog.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

hey spohiesmama yeah i've put the crate in my room now, how do i get him to sleep in it at night? he just barks really loud until someone lets him out. I dont want the neighbours to get annoyed. :/ and also i'll crate him when i leave home now no more leashing thanks.

oh and he's 9 months old now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast