1st Time Boarding-HELP! Need advise on length / dog anxiety .....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Time Boarding-HELP! Need advise on length / dog anxiety .....

johnd11 is offline Junior Member

Question1st Time Boarding-HELP! Need advise on length / dog anxiety .....

We have never boarded our dogs before but due to an ailing pet of her own my mom cannot keep our two labs and our dear friend who watches them for us is in the hospital with her son who has been admitted for the 2nd time at age 9 for a staff infection.
    So, our pups have had a trial day at one Doggie Daycare and tomorrow they have a trial day at another one
    if anyone can advise me on how they transitioned the dogs..... I am so nervous to leave them with strangers who won't know their personalities, their likes/dislikes, and I don't want them to forget all of the training we have worked so hard on nor forget me....
    My husband will be returning after 4 days for a week and then will be back with me on vacation for another week. Do we board them for the four days, have my husband pick them up for the 5 days he is home and then take them back for the remaining 5 days or do we keep them there for all days so the back and forth doesn't make them more anxious or nervous... On the other hand I feel like it would be breaking it up and when they return they will be used to it...
    Please help. I almost want to cancel our vacation b/c I am so stressed over boarding them.. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

Gosh, I am sorry you are so stressed. I made it a point to take Mya to a local boarder/friend as a pup several times as life throws unexpected curve balls at you. does she love it? No, but she endures it. I get WAAAAY more stressed that she does!!
    Do the best you can, research your options, talk to the facility you end up choosing -- they should have some good ideas. Like bringing a familiar toy??
    I thought Bow Wow Camp looked really nice and you can check out the web cam too.
    Good luck!!!

johnd11 is offline Junior Member

thank you so much. i am researching but finding more choices and having a difficult time selecting the right one.. i don't want them to be sick and i would have them stay w/ the breeder who we purchased them from as she is a close friend but there is no air conditioning nor daycare fun play.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I have no advice, I have never had to board any of my dogs. I just wanted to wish you the best of luck and peace of mind. I bet they will have fun! (WE are the one's with the insecurities, lol!)
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Jenylynne is offline Senior Member

I'm in the same situation. We have to board our in August and I have a trial day at the daycare/boarding on Monday and another on Thursday. I'm worried sick thinking they will revert or become anxious or nervous pups being away from home. But, I have to remember they are dogs. And, they will be with other dogs and each other. They will have their same food, some toys from home and all will be okay.

I'm having trouble picking a place too. So far, I've toured 4 and narrowed it down to two that I'm going to pick from.

I've been taking my pups to the dog park to try to get them more used to being around other dogs. They seem to love the dog park and I'm hoping that the same will hold true for the doggie daycare/boarding facility.

Most important is that they will be looked after and safe. If I can't have them with me, then that really is the most important thing to worry about. (At least that's what I'm telling myself!)

In your situation, I would probably bring the pups home for the four days your hubby will be home. Although people have told me that dogs don't really know time like people do so I'm not sure it would matter to them!

I really do think we put more human qualities in our dogs and it probably impacts US more than it does them. They probably have a great time with more of their "own kind".

Anyway, you are not alone in your worries! I hope you find a place that you are comfortable with and please, enjoy your vacation!!!
    Jen

Cleo, our black beauty

Zeus, our yellow, mellow, fellow

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

They will be fine. I board my dogs every summer. I don't do a daycare/play boarding because my dogs are special needs temperament wise. They just don't get along with any dog. But my first labrador did and we did a boarding facility that had playtime. My dog was so tired when we brought him home he slept 2 days after.

My main concern for boarding is will they keep my dog safe? and will my dog feel safe?

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

It is very stressful -- for us! They will be fine, just do your homework and find the best facility. Have a checklist of items most important to you and make sure you have your questions answered. Just try to hold back some of the worry when speaking to the facilities, show them you have faith in them. I worry more about being patronized for being "over protective" that they will do the opposite I ask in spite! Probably unlikely, but I don't need that added worry!!

As for the timeline of your needing to board them, I would suggest if your husband can bring them home for a few days then board them again -- especially since it will be their first time there for a few days, that way it shows them yes, you are coming back home and second that yes, the place is okay and fun enough for them to go back! Good luck!

SilverBullet is offline Senior Member

Do you have any option whatsoever to call a professional dog walking service? I realize they will still be inside most of the day, but that could allow you to go on vacation and know they will be fed and walked at least once or twice a day. Is there anyone else you can trust, such as a neighbor, friend, friend of a friend, teenager that can come in 2 times a day to feed/walk them? I, myself, would be a little worried about using a doggie daycare. Ive seen enough shows and documentaries about them, they seem to just not be able to give them all the attention they need, but if you can, try researching the daycares online to see if there are reviews about them first.
    Chief * Chocolate Lab * Born: 6/14/2010 * Acquired: 8/14/2010 * Current Weight: 101.8 lbs. * AKC Name: Chief White Chocolate

WalterJMattson is offline Junior Member

I think dog kennels are good. I often use this service when I'm away for work and do not want leave my dog alone in a house. Dont worry. That's all ok

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
    Do you have any option whatsoever to call a professional dog walking service? I realize they will still be inside most of the day, but that could allow you to go on vacation and know they will be fed and walked at least once or twice a day. Is there anyone else you can trust, such as a neighbor, friend, friend of a friend, teenager that can come in 2 times a day to feed/walk them? I, myself, would be a little worried about using a doggie daycare. Ive seen enough shows and documentaries about them, they seem to just not be able to give them all the attention they need, but if you can, try researching the daycares online to see if there are reviews about them first.
    I don't think that EVERY kennel/boarding operation should be lumped in this category. Have you ever read some of Karen's (Belles Mom) posts? She boards and trains dogs and if she lived near me I would take my dogs to her without hesitation and would not give it a second thought. I know my dogs would be well taken care of and get the attention they deserve. There are good places, it is our job to do the homework and research. To dismiss those that work hard and give this job their heart and soul is very unfair.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast