Puppy gets crazy one time every walk

Thread: Puppy gets crazy one time every walk

AKang is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy gets crazy one time every walk

I have a 4 month and 2 week old puppy named Caesar.
    My mom walks him in the morning and I walk him after dinner.

Whenever me or my mom walk him, he always gets crazy one time during the walk for about 5 minutes. Always one time without fail during a walk. He just seems like a rabid dog he runs around and bites at the leash and jumps and attacks me. It doesn't even seem playful, he actually seems insane. I try to hold his snout sometimes but a lot of the time he flips out and claws and bites me. He'll just run away then run back and jump and bite me. It's getting kind of out of hand as I can't do much about and he's ripped 4 of my shirts already. I don't think it's because he thinks he's the alpha, there's nothing that Caesar has done that would make him think that way.

I don't know what's the problem, we exercise him a lot (about 1hr and 30min a day), we always feed him on time, he has fresh water, a kong and rawhide bones, etc.

Is there a reason why he's doing this? And how can I stop it?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

First, put him in a harness. We stopped so much of Sophie's acting up with a harness. I have been told to stand like a tree when they act up, or turn and walk the other way. Have you noticed if it is in the same general area each time? Maybe he smells another dog or something. Try walking a different route. Sophie has had her crazy, insane moments, we call her being in "crack-dog" mode! LOL!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Mike Richards is offline Senior Member

Axel and Ozzy do the same but not jumping up at me. When he jumps up at you firmly sit him down, calm him, then let him go. Freaking out like that is normal but you have to stop him jumping.

I love it when my two do freak like that, Axel starts then to see Ozzy go just cracks me up...

428572_4153815482054_2143299931_n.jpg

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mistarkos is offline Senior Member

When I walk Cassie and meets with other dogs, after they sniff each other she goes nuts! She freaks out and she starts running round and round.. she runs in circles around me like crazy and I get dizzy watching her. She doesn't jump, just running in circles.. I think she does this because she feels happy meeting other dogs.

If dogs do not go to heaven, then I prefer to follow them where they go.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

What do you mean by "exercise"? Walks to me don't *really* count as there's not a lot that is physically challenging about walking, you know?

Disclaimer: You MUST be careful not to over-exercise young puppies, and no "forced exercise" (running on leash, etc) before joints are fully developed (around 18 months of age)

Having said that () I am of the strong opinion that puppies, just like young children, need healthy amounts of physically challenging exercise (stuff that gets the old heart rate going) in order to develop strong and healthy. And it sounds to me like this puppy is not getting that, or at least not on a regular enough basis.

If you can find a good dog park, these work very well. I was lucky enough when Baloo was a pup to find a great one that was populated in the morning by the same people always, so we got to know the regular "crew", and Baloo could run his willies out with a trusted golden and older lab.

If not retrieve/chase games also work, in a fenced-in area. Combine that with on-going "no bite" work and you WILL survive this stage, lol! Promise.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I would tire him out a bit before you go out on the walk. Play a good 15-20 minutes of fetch and then leave on the walk. He may behave better if you release some of that pent up energy before you walk him.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

AKang is offline Junior Member

Thanks everyone.
    What kind of activities or exercises would you recommend me to before a walk?

I'll start playing fetch more often but he usually gets bored of it within 10 minutes.
    What are some good off leash activities you guys recommend?

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

If you have a fenced yard, get out and play with him. Don't just stand an toss a toy for fetch. Chase him, fill his doggy pool and toss a ball in it, our Sophie plays on our trampoline. She loves that thing. If you have a friend with a pup, get them together. Sophie and her cousin Vera will play for hours.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye