A few questions...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few questions...

mama2tulip is offline Junior Member

DefaultA few questions...

I am a proud owner of a 10 1/2 week old yellow female lab! We got her at 8 weeks and have been in awe ever since. Her name is Tulip and following are the questions I have...

First questin on biting - we have tried a firm "NO" didn't work, then tried grabbing the scruff of the neck w/ a firm "NO" didn't work, we then tried grabbing the scruff of the neck w/ a firm "NO" and picking her front paws off the floor/ground didn't work. We are now tapping her on her nose with a firm "NO" and she still comes back to bite!!! I don't like using any type of force and feel very uncomfortable doing any of the above to her, but these are the recommendations from our breeder who we have hired to help us train. So first question is what should we try when all else fails?

Second question - Should we try another resource for training? She's expensive...$70/hr so I don't want to waste money and/or time. More importantly I don't want to keep trying such force when it's not working.

Third question - what is your opinion on a trainer that calls herself the dog whisperer? I'm not familiar with this term so not sure if it's a gimmick or in fact an effective way of training.

Thanks so much!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bearbuddymarie is offline Senior Member

I would say "NO!" then give her a chew toy to redirect
    her.
    I also would get a different trainer...............
    Buddy 11

bella 5

Bruno 3

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I would go farther and recommend "no bite" (and give a toy). and I would stick to one technique. Remember that it is going to take awhile to train them not to bite, you won't see results in a few days. I woudl avoid scruffing the neck which could exite the dog more (and encite more biting).

Are there puppy clases in your area? these are great to get started on training early and encourage socialiation which is greatly important. For basic puppy stuff I don't see why you need to pay $70/hr for a trainer.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Yes, I think a trainer who uses really old school techniques like that for a small puppy should be avoided.

You might want to consider this local kennel club which has classes. Classes I could not find a Lab specific club.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

mama2tulip is offline Junior Member

Sharon thanks for the link! The only issue with classes is we're not totally vaccinated so I don't want to bring her around other dogs/pups just yet. I do realize it's not going to happen overnight, but we've been trying these techniques for almost 3 weeks now so I would think she would be a little better. She does sit on command so I know she's has the potential to obey. I feel I need to try something new so I called another local trainer and she is going to meet with us...

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Usually its safe to have a puppy with a few doses of vax around other similarly vaxxed puppies in a clean environment. Or around safe adult dogs. I just would avoid dog parks, pet stores, the floor at the vets - places where you have a greater likelihood of encountering unvaccinated and/or sick dogs.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Using "NO" is too vague. When commanding your puppy be specific. We put a hand around Sophie's muzzle and sternly commanded "Don't Bite!" You need to do it every time she nips you. EVERY time! Don't let her slide even once. We kept it up and in about a month she figured it out. It was paradise when she stopped! My arms and hands looked like they'd been through a shreader! The main thing with a puppy is being consistant. As far as your trainer, I agree with Sharon.. The trainer seems old school. Tapping the nose is not a good idea at all! Good luck, and we are here for you when you need us. Oh...and we LOVE pictures!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mama2tulip View Post
    Sharon thanks for the link! The only issue with classes is we're not totally vaccinated so I don't want to bring her around other dogs/pups just yet. I do realize it's not going to happen overnight, but we've been trying these techniques for almost 3 weeks now so I would think she would be a little better. She does sit on command so I know she's has the potential to obey. I feel I need to try something new so I called another local trainer and she is going to meet with us...
    a puppy class with a good school is MENT for dogs who haven't had all their shots. the school should clean the area prio to puppy classes and see proof of vaccination or the pups (to be at the level they should be, 1rst or 2nd set of shot depending on age). don't wait until the puppy is 4mts!!

While it IS important to be very cautious about the health of a puppy that hasn't had all their shots please don't just leave them at home either! there are safe places to socialize the dog to new sites, people, sounds, dogs and situations. If you wait until the dog has had all their shots you've lost a big portion of the most important socialization window. Find safe places to let her get around - in the cart at home depot, on car rides, at friend's places to meet their dog, etc. Do stay away from pet stores and dog parks.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Mike Richards is offline Senior Member

We are working on Ozzy (14 week Choc), when he (as with all our dogs) nips I whimper just like another pup followed by the command ENOUGH. This seems to work for us, Ozzy forgets himself sometimes but has improved and just this week end he was with a few very young children and didn't nip one of them..

Proud of him...

428572_4153815482054_2143299931_n.jpg

SilverBullet is offline Senior Member

I have given the following advice in a few other posts relating to biting. I researched this method myself when Chief was young and biting. There was a short video online a reputable website/dog trainer and they suggested to grab his upper lip with one hand so your fingers are on both sides. Then gently press in his cheek so it touches his upper teeth. You apply enough pressure so as soon as he/she whimpers, you say "no bite" and let go. Trust me, this really works. It worked great for Chief, but you have to do this each and every time. It is not harmful whatsoever, even though they whimper. Try it once and press gently and harder until he first whimpers but say "no bite" then let go. Good luck.
    Chief * Chocolate Lab * Born: 6/14/2010 * Acquired: 8/14/2010 * Current Weight: 101.8 lbs. * AKC Name: Chief White Chocolate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast