New Owner Question

Thread: New Owner Question

OzLabs is offline Junior Member

QuestionNew Owner Question

Hello Everyone,

Our family is soon to add its newest member, a Lab. We have been researching like crazy on this site and online to try and gather the most useful information we can in order to be the best parents for our new puppy.
    Our puppies parents are: (puppies born on the 24th of June)

Sire; NZ CH. ********** ***** *****
    Hips 3:3 Elbows 0:0 PRCD Clear EIC Clear

Dam: Ch. T.CH. ************ C.D.
    Hips 0:4 Elbows 0:0 PRCD Carrier (no puppies will be affected.)

Our question is the litter was only 2 puppies so will this have any effect on the new puppies, positive or negative. Most of the research that we have found says that it will make no difference minus the fact that the breeder may have wanted more to choose from.

We will be going to see the puppies in a few weeks and be picking our little one up after 8 weeks.

Any thoughts would be a great help ? Thanks in Advance

P.S forgot to tell you the pregnancy was from frozen semen.
    Last edited by OzLabs; 06-24-2012 at 07:40 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I am sorry I am unable to answer your question but just wanted to say hi, welcome and congrats on your newest family member. I can't wait to see pictures of you new baby.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I don't have any answers either, but I wish to welcome you to our forum family. We love pictures and will love it when you post yours! It is such a loooooong wait waiting for you baby to come home! I remember counting the days till we picked up our Sophie. Our breeder sent us lots of pictures and even a video or two along the way. We named Sophie early and the breeder began calling her by name. Do you know if you are getting a boy or a girl? Where are you located?
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Shelley is offline Senior Member

Small litters will often get a lot more attention, and the puppies will be more socialized, more cognitively advanced, and pre-spoiled for you. LOL Lucky you, I bet you can hardly wait!! Make sure you post pictures!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I agree with Shelley above but if you have concerns please discuss with the breeder. For example, I heard of some breeders who had a litter of singletons (one pup) that would set up play dates with litters of fellow breeders to help with socialization and such. But with there being two they have each other to learn from and momma dog (and possibly some of the other dogs at the house).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

OzLabs is offline Junior Member

Thank you guys for the responses, i will be sure to post tones of pictures of our little man as we love looking at other members puppy pictures also. We are living in Queensland Australia right on the beach so i hope he likes the sand and water and yes he is male both were yellow and male. Also he should not have a problem socializing as her other dam had 6 puppies a month ago and they will not be leaving home till the end of July. (the females heat cycles were really close together so this litter almost didn't happen).

We cannot wait and we are counting down and crossing off the days on the calender. Now just to choose a name we both agree on haha

SilverBullet is offline Senior Member

I, too, cant really offer any advice either, but if you have to choose between the two of them, theres no sure fire way which one will be the best fit for you. I guess you will have to play with them both for awhile and do different things to see how each reacts and just go with your gut feeling. When I bought Chief from the breeder, Chief was the last one left so I didnt have a choice, but I sure am happy with him! The litter that Chief was born, there were a total of 9 pups, 2 had died early, so 7 were available. My cousin got #6 and I got Chief #7. My cousin's pup recently passed away just after turning 2 years old from an Anemic condition. Chief is 100% healthy, so even that, there is no guarantee as to which may be healthy and which one may not.
    Chief * Chocolate Lab * Born: 6/14/2010 * Acquired: 8/14/2010 * Current Weight: 101.8 lbs. * AKC Name: Chief White Chocolate