7 month puppy viciously attacking after play or if we touch her blanket
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 month puppy viciously attacking after play or if we touch her blanket

hobo is offline Junior Member

Default7 month puppy viciously attacking after play or if we touch her blanket

So we have a lovely 7 month old Lab, she's usually very friendly and obedient.

Over the past 2-3 weeks, we've come to notice that if we spend some time in the backyard with her and we are about to get up to leave, she get's extremely violent and starts jumping up and attacking us. She does this as soon as she realises we are about to go inside. These attacks are quite painful due to her teeth and nails etc. During these attacks she does not respond to any of her commands that she normally responds to. We have to literally hold her by the collar and drag her to the door and close it behind us.

The only other time she does this, is when we grab one of her possessions. Usually her blanket or her little bed that lives outside. She's usually fine if we pick up her toys etc though every now and then she attacks for that too.

The dog trainer has told us to turn around and ignore her attacks, but you can't ignore a 7 month lab jumping and biting you.

All other times she's extremely nice and fun to be around. She can be quite stubborn - refusing to move if she doesn't want to when she's on her lead. She will just drop on all fours and pull back even to the point where it chokes her, she will still not move.

Does anybody have any idea why she is doing what she is doing, and how to prevent it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Hi! Welcome to the board!

What you have is a typical Lab in a teenage phase. She is not "attacking" you -- I know it seems that way, I thought the same with mine at the time. It is hyperactive play/test the boundaries mode.

Quote Originally Posted by hobo View Post
    The dog trainer has told us to turn around and ignore her attacks, but you can't ignore a 7 month lab jumping and biting you.
    Yes, you can. I say this because I have. In public no less. Adds more stress when strangers are walking by wondering wth is wrong with your dog! If you stick with it, it will work.

She can be quite stubborn - refusing to move if she doesn't want to when she's on her lead. She will just drop on all fours and pull back even to the point where it chokes her, she will still not move.
    What have you tried? There are many things to try here, but why don't you share what you have tried so people can better gear their advice? I have a sphynx statue dog as well.

Prevention is all in how you handle it, I suggest positive training techniques. So if you can rhyme off what you've tried we can chime in with some advice that will hopefully help you. They go through different stages, it feels daunting & stressful sometimes, but we've been there!

What kind of exercise is she getting?

Any pics of your pup to share?
    Last edited by Diesel_Dawg; 06-24-2012 at 10:37 AM.

dogmom is offline Senior Member

When you say this generally happens when she realizes you are going in the house, is she going in the house with you or does she live outside?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

This is really about two different things, IMO. One - she is likely not exercised enough so she is acting up when the play ends outside. What is she getting for exercise and how often?

Two- she is resource guarding. Institute Nothing in Life is Free (NILIF) and make her earn everything she gets. I would stop giving this dog any high value treats like rawhide, pigs ears or raw bones that you might have to retrieve from her for safety reasons. In the short term, I would remove anything she has been guarding and let her earns them back. She needs to understand that you are the source of good things coming to her and not a threat to her ownership of those things.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    When you say this generally happens when she realizes you are going in the house, is she going in the house with you or does she live outside?
    Whilst she doesn't wait to work out if she's coming in or staying out, MOST of the time she stays outside. She is an outside dog. We are trying to train her to come inside and sit on her mat, but she prefers to jump on the couches and jump up on everything etc. We have tried tying her near her mat, and that tends to work for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    Yes, you can. I say this because I have. In public no less. Adds more stress when strangers are walking by wondering wth is wrong with your dog! If you stick with it, it will work.
    The reason we can't ignore her, is that it hurts like hell when she bites. She leaps up and bites whatever she can latch on to.

What have you tried? There are many things to try here, but why don't you share what you have tried so people can better gear their advice? I have a sphynx statue dog as well.
    Tried pulling, calling her enthusiastically etc etc. The only thing that works is grabbing a treat and goading her with it - and even then only when she's in the mood for it.

if we let her in the house for a while, and we need her to go back outside, it can take forever trying to get her out with treats etc. Sometimes if we go outside and play with her toys she comes out too.

What kind of exercise is she getting?

Any pics of your pup to share?
    She gets walked 3-4 times per week for about 45 minutes each time. The past two weeks have been less due to her getting desexed and the really cold weather, but this behaviour has been going on for longer than that.

Have tonnes of pics, will post some up tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Two- she is resource guarding. Institute Nothing in Life is Free (NILIF) and make her earn everything she gets. I would stop giving this dog any high value treats like rawhide, pigs ears or raw bones that you might have to retrieve from her for safety reasons. In the short term, I would remove anything she has been guarding and let her earns them back. She needs to understand that you are the source of good things coming to her and not a threat to her ownership of those things.
    The blanket is the main thing she guards, and due to the cold weather, I don't really want to take it off her. I will try and see if she tries to guard anything else and confiscate that. How can she earn it back though?

Surprisingly she's not too bad when it comes to her meat bones etc. and even pigs ears. She tends to run away from us rather than attack and guard when it comes to food.

She gets walked 3-4 times per week for about 45 minutes each time. The past two weeks have been less due to her getting desexed and the really cold weather, but this behaviour has been going on for longer than that.

45 min walks 3-4 times a week is a severely inadequate amount of exercise for ANY dog, much less a Lab. Why so little? And you say she gets less than that since being spayed? No wonder she's acting up on you.

The reason we can't ignore her, is that it hurts like hell when she bites. She leaps up and bites whatever she can latch on to.
    I put up with the same, I have some scars, I stuck it out and it worked in a few days, but I was consistent. Alternatively, assuming she has her collar on suffer through the initial bites til you get a leash on her then step on the leash. She won't be able to reach you, she will be "held" down at ground level & you will simultaneously say "NO BITE!!" firmly and loudly. Look her in the eyes when you say it and don't let her up til she calms down. She does it again... lather, rinse, repeat.

Is she an indoor or outdoor dog? Like where does she spend the majority of her time and where does she sleep?

ETA - nevermind, just saw your reply to dogmom. You need a crate... so many things, really...
    Last edited by Diesel_Dawg; 06-24-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast