How Often ?

Thread: How Often ?

Fcal124 is offline Junior Member

DefaultHow Often ?

How often should I be watching my 12 wk old for signs of needing to go.
    When she's in the crate, she can go 6 hrs with no problem. When she's out of the crate, it seems like it's every hour to hour & half.
    She's starting to get the idea of "letting me know", but sometimes i miss it because I think it's too early. She's only had 3 accidents in the past week, and I've only had her 2 weeks.
    Is 1 to 1 1/2 hrs normal in between pees for a 12 wk old?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

yes that is entirely normal.

You should set an alarm for every 50 minutes and take her out religiously when your alarm goes off. No matter if she seems to need to go or not. Put her on leash, ignore her and don't play with her and take her where she has eliminated before. Once she has pee'd or poo'd big praise and lots of treats and then in another hour do it all over again!

When she starts to pee and come and sit infront of you expecting her treat you know she's clicking with the routine. If you feel 50 mins is too soon you can increase time but remember, each time she goes inside it's a setback and if you can stop setbacks she will succeed faster.

Also remember, after playing & eating & sleeping she will most certainly need to go almost straight away.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Fcal124 is offline Junior Member

She's already at the point of looking for her treat after she pees. Matter of fact , she pees twice looking for treats both times.
    Thanks, guess I''ll take her out more often.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yep - sounds like you are doing everything right. Just take her out earlier until she starts going to the backdoor on her own.

And labs can tell time ... soon she'll be coming to you with that face that says "hello! It's pee time... you missed our alarm!" haha... and I'm not kidding!

Some people put a bell at the backdoor and ring it when they take puppy out just for toilet breaks. We did this with Milly and it worked! I'd leash her, pick her up, ring bell and say "wee time! or wee's!" and take her out to go out. Eventually she learnt to ring the bell herself.

Now she doesn't use the bell much she'll just come and stare at you and we go through the list. "play?" no... "drink?" no... "wee's?" and she will trot to the back door "ahh yes.. wee time!" LOL

amandajean1 is offline Member

that is absolutely fascinating to me. I think I'll do that...set up a bell that she can reach and ring it every time I take her out to go wee....maybe she'll pick it up and ring it herself. that would be awesome!
    Maggie - August 20, 2009

I found it worked when I rang it and said "wee's" or another obvious word. If I said "time for wee's lets got outside" it was too confusing. And then you also run the risk of the puppy going "if I ring this bell I get to go outside woohoo!" But it's still cute nonetheless and if you are consistent it does work.

amandajean1 is offline Member

awesome. that's brilliant!
    Maggie - August 20, 2009