Choosing the right puppy....

Thread: Choosing the right puppy....

kiwi is offline Junior Member

DefaultChoosing the right puppy....

I may have found the litter we are going to select our puppy from. I say may as of course I won't know for sure until I met the breeder and see the puppies. The puppies are New Zealand kennel registered with papers (which is the first thing I look for) and are ready to go to new homes from the 27th of Dec, the pups will be 6 weeks of age. We have decided on a male and of the 7 litter mates there are 2 males, my first question is ... what advise would you give me in selecting the right one? ultimatley I am going to be asking the breeder alot about the pups personality... but is there anything else I should be looking for? should I seperate the boys from the litter?
    What is the best age to look at the pups?
    Any help would be most appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nicole is offline Senior Member

A puppy should stay with it's littermates for at least 7wks and preferably 8. Kennel club registration is nice, but you should also look for parents who both have hip, elbow and eye clearances- the breeder should have no problem showing you proof of these. Once you're happy with the health, look and temperaments of the parents (and breeder's dogs in general), you really can't go wring with any of the puppies in a litter. The breeder should be able to point out a slightly more reserved or outgoing puppy, but in a well bred litter the range isn't going to be that dramatic.

sarah is offline Senior Member

Puppies leaving their litter at 6 weeks is far too early. What clearances do the parents have? As Nicole has stated above they should have been tested for hip, eyes and elbows. Have you seen their certificates?
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jeff777 is offline Junior Member

7-8 weeks is a good time to separate a puppy from the litter. Otherwise, it may be too soon.
    And the way I pick a puppy from the litter is by choosing a puppy that is active, plays a lot, loves to run around........this may all be seen as early as 5 weeks old.
    Jeffery Andrew
    Dog Obedience and Training Expert
    http://k9korralobediencetrainingcenter.com/

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Many good breeders will choose a puppy for you (or have a few from which you can choose).
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Agree with Nicole and Sharon, if they dont tick any of these boxes steer clear

Teddysmom is offline Member

We took Ted at 7 weeks, and I always regretted not allowing him to stay with his litter mates and parents longer. I've often wondered if we did the right thing. He was the largest male, and I think it would have done him good to play longer with other dogs and learn about limitations and repercussions from his peers.
    Last edited by Teddysmom; 12-05-2009 at 09:53 AM.

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

Reputable breeders usually let pups go at 7-8 weeks. They really need the time with littermates. We got both Jeb and Hampton at 8 weeks. Yes, make sure parents had had eyes, hips, and elbows checked.
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC