Biting Help needed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biting Help needed

Boston is offline Senior Member

DefaultBiting Help needed

The puppy is usually pretty good but lately she has gotten almost mean. When she has a ton of energy or is tired she will bite and bark. And its not nipping. Its like lunging at your hand biting. Sometimes arms, legs, whatever she can reach. Sometimes its because she wants off of the couch and is mad so she wont just jumpo off and if u try to help her she will bite you.

I have tried redirecting with a toy but that doesnt work. I dont want to put her in the crate. Any suggestions?? I really want to end this habit quickly..

She is 14 weeks old

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

This is a universal problem with a young Labrador puppy and comes up frequently.

After reading this, scroll down to the very bottom of this screen where you'll see a box labeled "SIMILAR THREADS"

You'll find some longer threads there with many remedies.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

lisa is offline Senior Member

This was a big problem with my Gracie. She would lunge, snarl, bark and nip at my hand for the same reasons that you stated above. I tried to give her a tap on the nose....that only made her aggression worse, redirecting with a toy worked sometimes and just walking away and ignoring her worked best. The good news is she has really gotten better, she is 11 months old and the "outbursts" as I call them have gotten far and few in between. So good news...it does get better. Good luck

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amandajean1 is offline Member

Hi,

I had the total opposite puppy than Gracie. Maggie would get worse if I only held her muzzle for a minute or tried "ignoring" her, it just didn't work. I had to use a more aggressive approach, push her lips into her teeth and make her feel a bit of pain, she literally stopped biting within a few days of constantly doing that. While the ignoring approach I tried for weeks with no luck.
    Maggie - August 20, 2009

bluejeans is offline Member

Our 12 wk old bites quite a lot, too. Usually when she's tired, so we put her in her crate for a "nip nap." Also we tried a command "no biting" give the command, give her the back of a hand if she bites, she gets a no sound (Eh), if she noses or licks, she gets a treat. After some success, we offer fingers, wiggly fingers, toes, etc.

good luck!

matiekorgan is offline Senior Member

Hi Boston,

Hate to say it, but I think your answer was in your post!

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    When she has a ton of energy or is tired she will bite and bark.

I have tried redirecting with a toy but that doesnt work. I dont want to put her in the crate.
    Can I ask why you don't want to put her in the crate? You say she's on the lounge with you? Perhaps this is sending a mixed message about where to sleep, and she's asking you to stay away from her bed?

If she has a ton of energy, she's trying to entice you to play - do she crouch and get a bit yippy and waggle her butt end? This is saying "chase me, chase me"! She'll bite at you like she would other dogs to get her attention. If you don't want to crate her, do something to keep her occupied, like giving her a stuffed Kong or a tough chew toy, or go for a walk, or practice 5 minutes of training.

Also, Harper does this thing where he gets more and more wound up the more you play. This is when I know he's tired, he starts to run what we call "Labby Laps" around the room and nips willy nilly. This is when we know it's chill out time, and pop him in his crate.

Like Bob said, check out some of the other threads, lots and lots of ideas! Hope you find something that works!
    Katie & Harper
    Soccorullus Corey Boy, our "Harper" 31.08.09

Quote Originally Posted by matiekorgan View Post
    Hi Boston,

Hate to say it, but I think your answer was in your post!

Can I ask why you don't want to put her in the crate? You say she's on the lounge with you? Perhaps this is sending a mixed message about where to sleep, and she's asking you to stay away from her bed?

If she has a ton of energy, she's trying to entice you to play - do she crouch and get a bit yippy and waggle her butt end? This is saying "chase me, chase me"! She'll bite at you like she would other dogs to get her attention. If you don't want to crate her, do something to keep her occupied, like giving her a stuffed Kong or a tough chew toy, or go for a walk, or practice 5 minutes of training.

Also, Harper does this thing where he gets more and more wound up the more you play. This is when I know he's tired, he starts to run what we call "Labby Laps" around the room and nips willy nilly. This is when we know it's chill out time, and pop him in his crate.

Like Bob said, check out some of the other threads, lots and lots of ideas! Hope you find something that works!
    I dont want to put her in the crate to associate it with punishment. She bites on both the couch and off. Sometomes its playing but other times she will just walk up and bite or when I put her leash on or off she will bite. Or if she barks for help off the couch she will bite.

I have been trying to just walk away and ignore her when she bites. Its a little better but I think she just needs more time. Hopefully not too much cause my hands are scarred enoughh haha.

bluejeans is offline Member

How's the biting situation now? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by bluejeans View Post
    How's the biting situation now? Just curious.

its calmed down a bit. She still ahs fits but they are shorter. I still get bit (not really anyone else) but it isnt like she is trying to hurt me like before. She seems to just be teething.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Well, exercise her. If she's already telling you now that you aren't providing her with enough stimulation (mentally and physically) imagine as a 90 lb dog! Start teaching her tricks, taking her to obedience and WEARING her out. Scent a ball and hide it and help her find it. Throw a ball down the hall if you don't want to take her outside. DO SOMETHING to wear her out otherwise she's going to keep right at it and you're going to get frustrated.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast