Housebreaking Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Housebreaking Question

amandajean1 is offline Member

DefaultHousebreaking Question

Hey,

so I decided to start giving Maggie $50 bucks every time she pees outside, and when I say $50 bucks, I mean yummy sausage. Now my only question is this one:

When she has a 'mini accident' inside, she starts to pee and then I take her outside and she finishes, to I reward her for that...or do I just praise her. Because I don't want her to think that peeing inside and then finishing outside will get her the money.

Advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

matiekorgan is offline Senior Member

Hey Amanda,

We're still housetraining Harper, and I don't praise at all if he's started inside (he's only started a poo twice, and I've quickly taken him to the right spot). I just explain that poos are for the grass, not for the carpet, and no treat. I just figure - and I might be wrong, one of the others might correct me on this - that if I reward when he's started to go inside, even when he's been taken outside, that is rewarding that specific behaviour.

We treat and praise and pat and tummy scratch and then have a good 10 minute play outside after every single wee and poo. It does get a bit tedious for the human, but Harper now comes looking for the treat after he's weed, and even tries to "squeeze" some out after a play session before going back in the house. The sausage thing sounds great!

Also, we have started to grade it. We use liver treats, and we are giving 1 treat for going outside at all (including on the pavers), 2 for anywhere on the grass, and 3 and a MASSIVE cheer (the neighbours think we love poo) for getting it in the "right" spot - we still take him where we want him to go in the yard when he first gets out, but sometimes he goes again later. After we're sure, and I mean 100% sure, that he knows he's only meant to go in the great outdoors we'll start to wean off rewarding for on the pavers at all, and keep it to only on the grass.

It sure is a long and arduous process, but I think we're winning - no accidents at all this week, high five to Harper!!
    Katie & Harper
    Soccorullus Corey Boy, our "Harper" 31.08.09

thanks. I appreciate it. I feel the same way, that I would be rewarding that behavior, and i certainly don't want to reward it. She knows I have something, and will literally stop peeing and come over to me if i say "good potty" when she starts to go like some people say to do, so I've stopped doing that. instead i say "go potty" until she starts to go, then I say "good potty" when she finishes and i praise and reward her. hopefully she will take to this and realize what I want from her asap. She KNOWS to pee oustide and poo, she just thinks the carpet is grass for weeing on, too.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

and when they start 'asking' to go outside...... I think you have to give puppy $100 or 2 yummy sausages and massive human happy dance & cheer.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

I can't believe it. After 2 days of sausage she is literally peeing....mmm sausage....oh i think i'll go again....ooo yay more sausage....yeup....once more, wasn't quiet finished....wait. where did the sausage go, what do you mean i ate it all already??? lol she's too smart for her own good.

Although she is ridiculously smart....she's simply choosing *not* to hold her bladder. I put her in he bathroom for 15 minutes and she peed. ugh. When I move to my new apartment, does anyone have some suggestions for kicking this habit? I was thinking of gating her in the kitchen where it's not carpeted and easier to clean up, but I really don't want to allow her to think she can pee on there either. I know she can hold her bladder, she just doesn't care to unless she is inside her crate. I am giving her super yummy sausage that she loves, but she still won't wait...I know it's only been a couple of days, but agghh. So should I literally crate her any second I can't be holding/playing with her, and not even give the the "free roam" of the kitchen option?

Thanks.
    Last edited by amandajean1; 11-22-2009 at 08:50 PM.

MnMsMom9902 is offline Senior Member

We crated Miko a lot before she was finally house trained.

Miko (April 6, 2009), CGC

Quote Originally Posted by MnMsMom9902 View Post
    We crated Miko a lot before she was finally house trained.
    I agree, it feels like Harper is in his crate A LOT.

Amanda, I don't give any "free roam" option. Basically, Harper is crated at any time we don't have 2 eyes and 2 arms for his full attention. Also, we crate him at times where there are just too many temptations, like when I'm folding washing. It's much easier to have him out of the way than to keep pulling half a towel out of his mouth, or having only one sock!

Sometimes it really does feel like he's in there a lot, but I when he's out we have some great play/training sessions both outside and inside, lots of love and cuddles, and treats and rewards for all the behaviours that we think are "good".

When he's in his crate he has something to chew like a Nylabone or a Kong, and we've started covering him up, and usually he's snoring within 5 minutes of being put in there!
    Katie & Harper

Also, just reread your post - is she peeing just when you let her into the room to run about, or during training? Because maybe if you do, say, 5 "sit", then throw a toy and play a little game, then do another 5 "sit", then play a little, explore the room together, and then 5 sit before having a little something to chew on, and then back in the crate it will sort of show her that rooms in the house are for having fun and getting rewarded, plus you get to control where she wees because she's too entertained playing with you to think about it.
    Katie & Harper

that's actually a good idea. i feel bad about crating her so much, but i guess that's what's necessary. The bad thing is right now (until Dec 1 ) her crate is literally in my room. I cover it, but she knows i'm there and keeps on barking. it will be easier once im at my new place, my work area will be outside of the bedroom.

thanks for the advice, if you think of anything else, Ill happily listen :-)
    Maggie - August 20, 2009

Not sure if you can do this, but it's something that's working for me right now. In the day time when I'm around but busy (like making a call or on the internet or something) I crate him, cover him most of the way, like the back 3/4 of the crate, and leave the open part facing out the window. He watches the world go by in our backyard, but doesn't bark to get out and hasn't done that since I started pointing him out the window. Plus it's really hot here in Australia at the moment, so the nice breeze helps cool him down.

Our babies are close in age!!
    Katie & Harper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast