New lab pup

Thread: New lab pup

Avious is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew lab pup

Hi,

My family was given a black lab puppy that's 5 months old, we have had her for almost 2 months. I'm working on house training her and wondering how I can train her to let us know when she needs to go outside.

Another issue I have is, when I call her from a distance in the house, she pees as she walks/runs to me. I read a little bit about it, and people say it's submissive urinating. Is there any way I can break her from this?.. I don't punish my dog at all, I just clean up the mess with hopes that she will grow out of it. If I walk up to her, she doesn't pee, its only when I call her from a distance.

Any advice would be wonderful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

So, you got her at 3 months and she is 5 months now or you got her at 5 months and she is 7 months now? Unclear.

What are you doing to train her? Is she is going out on a regular schedule, you are praising her when she pees/poops outdoors, scooping her up and bringing her out when she starts to have an accident in the house, crating her when you cannot watch her, and you still have an untrained puppy after 2 months of this - then a vet visit is in order.

And - I have no suggestion as to why she would pee when she comes to you. Thats a weird one.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

sarah is offline Senior Member

so are you saying that she pees and seems to be unable to control it? are you having lots of problems with her peeing inside when she shouldnt be? Also, I am unclear on her age from your post.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sorry for the confusion... our puppy is 5 months old right now; we have had her since she was 3 months old. She does a good job holding her urge to pee until she does go outside. We do take her out on a regular basis, she is a steady feeding schedule

She has been to the vet to get her shots and a health check up. They said she is very healthy and seems to be happy. I noticed that she is starting to loose teeth while chewing on her toys, the vet says that is normal.... like children, dogs loose baby teeth.

The vet also confirmed that dogs do sometimes cower and pees lightly to show submissiveness. The vet says that she should grow out of it soon.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

If she is indicating a tendency towards fearfulness you need to be sure to 1.) not yell at her, use any sort of intimidating methods of control or use the pennies in the can trick as fears can become permanently imprinted at key periods in puppyhood and 2.) ignore her fearful behavior.

If she acts afraid and you comfort her you are essentially legitimizing her fear in her eyes. You have told her she has a good reason to be afraid. Despite your human desire to comfort - you need to ignore this and act as if all is well. Trust me - been down this road.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

sarah is offline Senior Member

what Sharon said. Don't encourage the behaviour. Some dogs are very sensitive by nature and any kind of yelling at them does more harm than good. I know, I have one of those dogs
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Avious View Post
    Hi,

My family was given a black lab puppy that's 5 months old, we have had her for almost 2 months. I'm working on house training her and wondering how I can train her to let us know when she needs to go outside.

Another issue I have is, when I call her from a distance in the house, she pees as she walks/runs to me. I read a little bit about it, and people say it's submissive urinating. Is there any way I can break her from this?.. I don't punish my dog at all, I just clean up the mess with hopes that she will grow out of it. If I walk up to her, she doesn't pee, its only when I call her from a distance.

Any advice would be wonderful.

Raven hasn't had an accident in the house in a very long time. She no longer urinates in the floor when approached or called.
    The only issue we have is shedding. We bought a rubber shedding item that I use to brush her coat about twice a week that works ok.... is there a shedding tool that you guys recommend?

Dani is offline Senior Member

Labs shed. All of the time. There is no fix to it other than brushing her with a regular brush weekly.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003