Stubborn Ted

Thread: Stubborn Ted

Teddysmom is offline Member

DefaultStubborn Ted

Well...I've managed to assert my dominance over the dog with making him sit before we do anything - leash on/off, being fed, etc. I'm the first one in and out of the door, and I'm sealing up the garbage to make it very difficult for him to act out in that way.

However, here is something new. Ted has decided to sleep on the couch or love seat at night after everyone goes to bed. He has his own bed, but now all of a sudden (he'll be 6) he's going to do what he isn't supposed to and stretch his enormous shedding blond furry body over our dark brown furniture.

Any ideas on what to do? He's always slept downstairs and been pretty good about sleeping where he should. Now it almost seems as though he's getting me back for enforcing new rules on him. (I know, he probably isn't that smart, but heck, it makes you wonder, doesn't it?)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Oh - it could be a reaction to new rules - or just coincidence.

I'd put an obstacle on the couch - a dining room chair, a laundry basket - something like that. Or you could get a "scat mat" which is a clear vinyl mat which has a battery attached - the mat gives off a charge when it is stepped on by a paw going where it should not. You can set the degree of the charge - which is a lot like a static shock. Not harmful - but it renders the couch not a pleasant place to sleep.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

sarah is offline Senior Member

I'd probably go back to crating if he isn't doing it while you are around and you can correct him.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I think dogs "take over" our places when we leave -- kind of like the second in command filling in for the commander.

When Bess was waiting in the car while I left to run in a store, she immediately occupied my seat.

Puff does the same thing.

I imagine your Ted probably does, too, doesn't he?

I think putting obstacles (e.g., chairs as was suggested) on the seat would be the surest way of preventing his jumping up on those. Trying to train him to NOT do something that's instinctual (subbing for the alpha in the alpha's place) could be like swimming against a current.

Now it almost seems as though he's getting me back for enforcing new rules on him.
    FWIW, dogs don't have those human reactions, fortunately. They're much more direct.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

okay, I had to laugh...my gordy does that too, even though he knows he isn't suppose to be on the furniture as he jumps off as soon as he hears us coming. We tried placing chairs on the furniture but finally gave up and decided it was one of his quirks. We opted to replace our furniture with leather and added a blanket for him to lie on. At first I felt like we might be inviting him up on the couch but then I decided he would do it anyway. And we had been trying to break him of that habit for two years before we gave in. He never gets on the furniture when we are around, only at night.

oh, Bob, my dog's do that too when I take them to the grocery store.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

matiekorgan is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr. View Post
    I think dogs "take over" our places when we leave -- kind of like the second in command filling in for the commander.

When Bess was waiting in the car while I left to run in a store, she immediately occupied my seat.

Puff does the same thing.
    Oh Bob, I had a good chuckle at this, because it reminds me so much of my cats!! Harper isn't allowed in the lounge room yet, but I have 2 cats. If I've been on the lounge with my husband and get up to use the loo or check on our son, I come back to find that my place has been occupied by one or the other!

At first I thought it was because I'd left a warm patch, but they do it even if I've been there for 2 seconds! They're like the chair minder people you see at awards shows!!
    Katie & Harper
    Soccorullus Corey Boy, our "Harper" 31.08.09

Felix is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr. View Post
    Trust me, they do!

But if you setup new rules for youre dog, crating him for the night isnt a bad idea at all

It gives him his own place, and that place you make it as much as FUN! for him as you could!

And if you stick to the new rules, he just blend in like a charm