Urinating on Everything. Including our other dog.

Thread: Urinating on Everything. Including our other dog.

rfleed1 is offline Junior Member

QuestionUrinating on Everything. Including our other dog.

Alright I am at loss, and I'm looking to my fellow lab owners for some insight. My 4 yr old male lab is going through a weird spell right now that I just can't seem to figure out or break. He is urinating/marking on just about everything. Patio furniture, kids soccer bags, laundry basket, boxes, bikes etc....Luckily he does not do this in the house, but right now anything else is target practice. This includes our 7-year old female lab. He has repeatedly urinated/marked on her as she is relieving herself. He even urinates/marks on her feces after she has finished. It is almost as if he finds it necessary to mark absolutely everything. I have caught him in the act on several occassions, and have sternly let him know that I was not happy. I have tried crating him as punishment, separating him by placing him in the dog run, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas or words of wisdom would be appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Is he neutered? Is the female spayed?

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Is he neutered? Is the female spayed?
    That's what I was going to ask.

Oh, and you should never, ever use the crate as "punishment". It's supposed to be a comfort zone for them.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bbbbmom is offline Senior Member

This sounds EXACTLY like my Brewster. He was an outside dog, unneutered for the first years of his life. Then he came to us, we got him fixed, but the marking continues, 4 years later! Yes, he pees on our other dog if I'm not there to watch. He pees on anything he can outside. He USED to mark inside until I found the miracle solution, a belly band. It's just a soft wrap that goes around his parts. We put this on him whenever we leave the house and can't watch him. You should google it to see how/why it works. It's been a lifesaver!

Yes he is neutered and yes the female is spayed. He didn't always does this...he just started doing this over the last two months. Thanks for the advice on the crate, I did it just once and remembered the rule of thumb about thier "comfort zone". So it sounds like, "it is what it is" and to just let it go?

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

It's just a soft wrap that goes around his parts.
    Never heard of such a thing!

Hmmm. There's got to be a reason why he suddenly started doing this (and thank goodness it's only outside!). Has anything "changed" in your household lately? Anything at all? In the house or in the yard (new baby, new tree planted, that kind of thing). Have you recently changed his food or treats?
    Is the female dominant over him? If so, I'm thinking he's trying to show her that HE'S dominant.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

bbbbmom is offline Senior Member

http://www.twotuttles.com/BellyBandDogDiapers.html Check out this link to see what they are.

Nope...Everything at home is staus quo. As far as order, he by far the more dominant one. Here are a couple of examples how he tries to show his dominance. (1) They both have nice cushy dog beds to sleep on. The female knows which one is hers, but if she lays down before him, he will simply lay right on top of her until she moves. I will correct him by making him get off and move to his own bed. (2) If we play fetch, and the female beats him to the ball (which is often) he will try to dislodge the ball from her mouth before she can return it to me. When he does this, I simply remove him from the game and make him sit and watch. He has started to act like that bully we all knew growing up. Needless to say it has become frustrating dealing with him the last couple of months.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

when was his last health check? I wonder about a UTI, if this is a recent change. Otherwise, I would implement a NILIF programme and treat him like an un-housebroken puppy.