Alone Time

Thread: Alone Time

Chester101 is offline Junior Member

QuestionAlone Time

My partner and I picked up our black lab puppy from the breeder exactly one week ago. He is now 9 weeks old, called Chester, and is absolutley beautiful!
    We both organised time off work (both of us only work part time and our shifts only ever over-lap by a few hours) so that we could be at home with him full time for the first week while he settled in.
    It has now come to the time that he needs to be left alone for short periods and he is finding it really hard!
    I have headed all the advice to leave the room for short periods; gradually increasing the time he is on his own. I always leave him engrossed with a safe chew toy, but he still cries - everytime.
    We have organised a play pen with blanket, toys, food and water to leave him for short periods (max 3hrs) and he has a crate which he sleeps happily in at night and during the day, which we plan to leave him in for shorter periods (1-1.5 hrs).
    However he WILL NOT amuse himself while in the play-pen even if i am in the room and constantly cries until you give him some attention. I give him a good toy - reserved only for these "quiet time" sessions and he is fed in the play-pen to increase positive associatons.
    He will not settle in the crate either - I have to wait until he falls asleep on the living room floor and carry him to the crate. He then sleeps quietly until he needs the toilet. We left him in the crate for one hour yesterday and he was crying his heart out when i came home!
    I was just wondering if anyone has any advice? Can tell me where I am going wrong? Or has any suggestions as to leaving him in the play-pen or the crate?
    I am getting a little bit frayed at the edges now!!:

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Please read the responses to matiekorgan's thread "Starting to get very talky in crate". Those may be helpful to your situation.

In general, young Lab pups don't like being separated from their people or other beings and crying and being distressed is one way of trying to rectify that.

In the first half hour of a 4 hour drive home with Puff (9wks old), she cried so much in the small crate beside me, I frequently considered turning around, driving back, and getting my money returned.

But I first tried picking her up, wrapping her in a towel and holding her on my lap. That did the trick.

I suspect that as long as Lab pups see (or hear) other prople around, they want to be with them.

Try the blanket covering the crate when you're there and can't be with her.

Good luck!

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

matiekorgan is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr. View Post
    Please read the responses to matiekorgan's thread "Starting to get very talky in crate". Those may be helpful to your situation.
    Hi!

I am "matiekorgan" (Katie), and as Bob mentioned I really did get some very helpful responses, and the covering really did the trick.

Also, I'm finding if I don't feed Harper a meal if we have to go out (for example, today we had playgroup in the morning, so I didn't give him a bowl of food for breakfast), and instead stuff a toy like a Kong with his food, even if it's a little wet down. Then he's concentrating so hard on getting the food out, and after he gets it and eats and has a little nap it's about time that we're home again.

In my play pen, though, I only have his filled Kong, no other toys.

Hope you find something that works, hearing the crying is very hard!
    Katie & Harper
    Soccorullus Corey Boy, our "Harper" 31.08.09

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

matiekorgan is offline Senior Member

Oh yeah, and we find that Harper only starts crying when he hears our keys in the door or car doors shut or something, so hopefully your little Chester isn't crying the whole time, just when he hears you approaching.
    Katie & Harper
    Soccorullus Corey Boy, our "Harper" 31.08.09