Please help - urinating in crate
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help - urinating in crate

matiekorgan is offline Senior Member

ExclamationPlease help - urinating in crate

Hi Lab Parents,

Well, as you can tell by the thread title, Harper has urinated in his crate.

It happened last night. We took him outside at about 10pm, he was a bit tired and didn't really want to play chasings or anything energetic, so we just did lots of sits, and my husband tried to teach him to roll over, too.

He had some barking when we had our showers, and we were in bed by 11. He didn't make another sound until 4am. My husband, Ben, went to the dining room to see him and found that there was a huge puddle in his crate, and he was soaked on his back half. Ben reckons there was more than one wee there, but I think because his crate pad has a waterproof cover on it it just didn't soak in. Do you think this was just an accident - this is the second time he's done it, but it's been about 2 weeks apart, and the bedding was replaced.

I'm just upset because I feel like we're doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what it is. I've cleaned his crate with Orange Power (it's all natural and has no ammonia, because we don't have anything else right now and I'm without a car because the radiator is busted - I'm having a time of it at the moment! ) and now there is no pad in there.

I would really, really appreciate some suggestions, ideas, or reassurance that things will improve - I just feel like I'm really letting him down, I'd hate to have to wee in my own bed.

TIA.
    Last edited by matiekorgan; 11-10-2009 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Found a typo!
    Katie & Harper
    Soccorullus Corey Boy, our "Harper" 31.08.09

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bluejeans is offline Member

Accidents happen. I've heard once they've wet the crate, it takes time to get over it.

I read the book called Housebreak your puppy in 7 days. One of the first rules is that puppies can't be reliable house trained until 14 weeks. When do you stop giving access to water? I dump out water at 7pm, 2 hours before bedtime. Another suggestion from the book.

Jersey has accidents in the house, too.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Yes - accidents do happen. I have a couple of comments.

First - if you are going to put something in his crate - which he does not need, by the way, make it something like an old towel or an old blanket/spread which you can toss in the wash. If you are concerned about him chewing it up, he should just be without.

Second - playtime at 10PM? Why do you want him wound up at that hour? I would keep training and play to earlier hours and at that time of night keep it quiet and the focus on doing his business outdoors (under supervision) and then right to bed. Make this a habit and have him on a schedule. Bedtime same time every day.

At what time do you lift his water? If he is drinking heavily after 7-8 at night - you will set him up for failure.

Last - if you do not have a urine odor neutralizer (like Natures Miracle) use white vinegar after your cleaner. Even you if smell no pee odor using that Orange stuff, he probably still can and will more readily pee in there.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

You're completely right about the water. I'll take it away after 8 pm. And about the bed time. We haven't been consistent, really. I'll make bed time be straight after his 10pm pit stop.

We've been playing with him outside after that pit stop to get his sillies out, IYKWIM. I guess it's probably not a good idea, though it does tire him out. Once he's had his last injections we'll turn it into a walk after dinner instead, that should tire him.

Lastly, he's never chewed the crate pad, so I've never had a problem leaving it in there. But an old towel while he's still this little is probably not a bad idea.

So what I'm taking from the replies is, correct me if I'm wrong:
    - Restrict water after 8pm
    - Don't jazz him up too much at night time
    - Accidents will happen for another few weeks
    - Clean accidents with vinegar after the cleaner to get rid of smells

Thanks so much. It's just reassuring, you know?
    Katie & Harper

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Maybe just get the sillies out abit earlier - but if he is going to bed maybe that isn't an issue.

What I woul do is make sure he pees AFTER the playtime. Even if it means taking him back out at 11pm just before you hit the bed yourself. Playtime usually gets the bladder going.

Does the cleaner you use neutralise the odor? I am simply not familiar with the product you mention, and I know not all cleaners properly remove the odor of urine (even if it is clean to our nose it isn't necessarily gone to puppies nose!).

And to me, TWO accidents is really good
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Yep sounds like a plan to me. And like Tanya says - 2 accidents is doing pretty good. Mine peed in his crate a couple of times before he got the hang of it.

Both my dogs have patterns to their activity and rest schedules. Dogs are diurnal and are most active in the morning and in late afternoon (at least mine are in the late afternoon). After they eat dinner they rest a while - have another little activity period and then by 9-10 they are done for the day. If you can make your exercise/training coincide with his natural periods of activity you should have no problem getting him on a schedule quickly. And - like human babies - they do better with a schedule.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya, it's more of a stain remover. It does mention pet urine on the packet, though. If I had my car I'd head straight to the shop and get a proper odour neutraliser.

Also, we're about to upgrade crate sizes to his big one with a divider in it, it's really not much different in length with the divider in, just the height which is what we need (he's starting to slouch a bit in there!).

I'm definitely going to be more strict on the routine. It's hard at about 6pm when I'm cooking and my son has a bath, because that's the time when Harper really needs a good run around - my husband doesn't get home until between 6.30-7pm. In the future I'll look into getting a dog walker a few times a week to come and take him, but for now I just need to juggle things a bit better.

I knew this was going to be tough, but everything I read about crate training was that it was essentially "errorless", which I now know to be false. I guess I just had too high expectations - for MYSELF! It's really great to you have you guys for advice and reassurance - how did people ever raise puppies before the internet?

Katie & Harper

Roscoe's Mom is offline Member

Just accidents. Y'all aren't failures or anything.

I definitely agree with what's been said... limit the water in the evening and take him out one last time before YOU go to bed.

*hugs* and *hugs* for Harper too.

Teddysmom is offline Member

Normally with Ted's issues, I wouldn't volunteer advice, but I do remember a similar problem when he was a puppy, and the crate was too big for him. You may want to ask the others here if they think that could be part of the problem.

Teddysmom is offline Member

How big should it be?

A crate need only be big enough for the dog to stand up, turn around and lie down comfortably. I like them to be just long enough for my dogs to stretch out on their sides to sleep. Growing puppies can be a problem when buying a crate. Not everyone can afford to buy a new one for each stage of growth but too large a crate can make a puppy harder to housebreak. Fortunately, dividers are available for some brands so you can shrink and expand the puppy's space as needed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast