Started to get very "talky" in crate
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Started to get very "talky" in crate

matiekorgan is offline Senior Member

DefaultStarted to get very "talky" in crate

Hi Everyone,

Some more advice would be greatly appreciated.

Harper is 10 weeks today, and has just developed (since yesterday) the habit of barking loudly and constantly when put in his crate. He's taken outside every hour or when he wakes up from a nap. He receives Kongs with his daily ration of food to keep him busy in his crate. And when he's out he's either having his mind exercised in the form of training (he slipped a bit and started only half planting his butt so we've gone back to sit, down and stand), or running about with balls and such in the yard.

The crate is in our dining room, so it's not exactly the centre of activity, but it is in a spot in the house where you can see into most rooms. We don't talk to him at all when he's in his crate.

Is this just a "phase", like he's testing it out, or have we been doing something wrong??
    Katie & Harper
    Soccorullus Corey Boy, our "Harper" 31.08.09

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Have you tried covering his crate?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Dani is offline Senior Member

is he in his crate when he's inside or only when you can't supervise him? If you're out and about and can supervise him, he's gonna bark because he wants to be with you. If you're putting him in there because you can't supervise him then cover the crate. He's getting older and more active.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuvRgirl is offline Senior Member

I agree with covering the crate. That is what we do with Bella, it is covered from all sides. She doesn't make a peep when it's covered, I think it helps her relax. However she is only in it for sleeping and when we leave her home alone. I hope you find something that will work for you.
    Sweet Bella Mia at Zion National Park.

Thanks, everyone. I will try putting a thin blanket over the crate today.

He's in it when he can't be 100% supervised, so you're right, Dani, he just wants to be with us.

The situation got worse last night, he barked at random times throughout the night. My husband got really, really cranky! We took him out at his usual times (about 1am and then at about 5.30am) and just ignored the rest of the barking.

It's just so weird, NOTHING has changed in the routine, and all of a sudden he's started barking in the crate.
    Katie & Harper

sarah is offline Senior Member

he's just developing a personality. Covering the crate should definitely help!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Just wanted to say a massive THANK YOU for the advice on covering the crate ... it's like a 180! There has been not a single bark or whinge today. He's been in there two or three times covered, once when my son was eating lunch (which would normally call for some sharking behaviour) and there was not a peep. He just sat and chomped away on his Kong and within minutes there was snoring!

Thank you SO MUCH! Here's hoping we get a bit more sleep tonight!
    Katie & Harper

I spoke too soon. It's 7.12pm, it's about 30 minutes since I've had him out and he's just barking that high, high pitched bark. I'm waiting until he's quiet, then I'm going to take him outside and just run him ragged. We'll see if that works. I don't think I can handle this barking much longer. It's so loud and high pitched and it pierces my ears! I can only imagine what it's like for my poor son who's trying to sleep!
    Katie & Harper

ksweber is offline Member

We went through a similar phase with our pup, who is now 5 mos old. It happened about the age yours is. Covering the crate made a major difference, and we still cover it anytime she's in there (which is when we're not at home, or at night when she's sleeping). When we ARE at home, but just can't supervise 100%, we leash her and keep her with us in whatever room we're in and tie to doorknobs, towel bars, etc. We also drag around her dog bed and toys so she has a "place" to settle down in whatever room we're in. That prevents the barking because she just wants to be with us. Yes, it's a hassle (when she's older she can just wander around on her own), but we like having her with us and she likes it too.
    Meet Maisy!

amandajean1 is offline Member

Hi,

I had the EXACT same issue with Maggie. She was perfectly quiet until about 10-11 weeks. Suddenly the whining and barking insued. AAGGHHH. So I busted out my MP3 player and listened to some music while I went to bed...to drown out hte barking....after two nights of not responding to her even a *bit* when she barked she quieted right down. She has even gotten to being quiet while I sit next to her @ my desk and she's in her crate. I completely ignore her when she whines at me.

:-) Best of luck
    Amanda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast