My dog has issues...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My dog has issues...

Teddysmom is offline Member

DefaultMy dog has issues...

I debated posting, as my dog is going to be 6 in January, but he has some issues that I'm not sure how to deal with.

I am sure some of the issues have to do with the family - how we deal with him, etc. but here goes...I'd better put my armor on, maybe?

First, he gets into our garbage as soon as our back is turned. I know that we will need to (again) get a step-opening unit where the lid recedes, but it seems wrong that we have to do this. The dog should just know. We've scolded him so many times.

The other is that if anything is left on the table, especially any bread - like toast, etc., he will also get up and take that too. Today...he took 2 new loaves of bread off the table that I forgot about and ate them both.

Will more exercise curb this? Anyone had to deal with this in the past?

Thanks for all advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oh...I forgot to add...he barks entirely too much.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Forgetting the barking for the moment. It appears that you know what you have to do and I don't understand the reason for asking for help. But here goes.

(1) Trash hauler: Get a can with a lid the dog can't open. Hmm! You knew that.
    (2) Eating anything left on the table: I bet you know thisone too. Don't leave edibles on the table. Duh!

Alternative, but this is in addition. Set the trap. Leave what he is not supposed to have where he is not ssupposed to take it from. Stand guard, catch him in the act, and correct. Repeat a few times until he doesn't commit the cirme. Give him a reward.
    Repeat every day for a month or two. Then take your chances, but I bet the solutions under (1) and (2) work better.

The poor dog is trying to train you and you are not paying attention.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yeah...I guess you're right. He also needs more exercise. What about the barking? We were just eating our supper, and he barked louder when we said "No!" Should we just totally ignore the barking? Will this fix it?

Well...the bread was an oversight on my part. I'd put everything else away and forgot them there. We were doing better with the garbage before the step-type garbage can broke the hinge. Frustrating. They run about $100, but I guess it's better to get a new one than to deal with the mess. He figured out how to get into the kind where he could open it with his nose.

The trap idea doesn't work. We've done that, and it doesn't work, unfortunately.

The other issue is that he barks at things he doesn't understand. Maybe that's natural - but a lawnmower? A snowman? An overturned garbage can left by the garbage men after it was emptied? He hates bicyclists and barks at any and all strangers, with hackles up, and pulling on leash.

I do love the dog. He has many redeeming qualities, and he's ours for the long haul.

Would a citronella collar help with the barking?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

He sounds inadequately socialized. If he is barking at things he is unaccustomed to seeing - he needs to get out more.

Has he been to any sort of obedience training?

On the food grabbing - if he can reach it (in the garbage can or on the counter) he is going to try to get it. You have to keep it out of his reach and make the can safe (or remove it). As for barking while you are eating - that is bad manners for sure. I would crate him out of sight and ignore him.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast