My dog has issues... - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My dog has issues...

Teddysmom is offline Member

We had a bit of a setback last night. I made chicken, and he loves chicken. He barked all throughout supper. He is just used to us listening to him and rather than putting up with the barking, getting up and doing his bidding. Last night, I had to keep assuring the family that we must not scold him or yell back. No feeding at the table. Just ignoring. Lots of whining - barking - lol Poor thing. (Our fault!) Even after supper, he really and truly expected me to cut the remainder up and put it in his dish like I usually do. No deal last night. I wrapped it up and put it in the fridge. You should have seen his face. Pure disappointment. I just figured even if I didn't get up and do his bidding when he barked, to do it after we ate would be no better and send no better of a message? Do others agree? I will give him his chicken with his dog food tonight. Not because of any barking.

I had a Eureka moment this morning. Dogs don't bark at other dogs expecting things to be done for them, so he should not be allowed to bark at his human pack either.

He's one confused dog, but I'm hoping to rectify that. I've been telling the entire family that from now on he has to do something before he gets anything. When we leave and enter the house, his head and nose are butted up against my thighs because he is so used to being first. I've been telling him "Mommy first" and refusing to allow it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

He almost seems depressed these last two days though. I think he knows something is different. I carefully scraped all the plates this morning into the garbage and tied up the garbage. Again - the face. lol

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

LOL! Poor baby!

He will survive it all and you will have a more pleasant pet to live with.

Does he know and do a sit/stay? I'm not so much of a "through the door first" proponent - but I can and do make mine sit and stay - both will wait to be released to eat their meal. The both also know "wait" as a command - when I am walking them down stairs on a leash or have to turn to lock the door they are told to wait and they stop and - - -wait.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well...the one thing I think I did right with Ted was establish a rule early on about his meals. He's to sit and stay until I say "Okay", at which time he can come forward and eat and drink. I also petted his head and shoulders a lot as a puppy while eating because at that time I had 2 small children to consider. He actually doesn't like to eat with anyone too close to him, but he has never ever displayed any sort of animosity towards any touching or taking away his food or anything like that. I've never felt compelled to hesitate to pet him or remove a dish while he was eating, not that I do this regularly. Now and then I try to do it to reinforce the rules there.

He never learned to heel/heal. He will wait to some degree, when we say "wait" while walking. Ted learned some tricks with either hand motions or verbal command. He knows "sit" "lay" (complains) "stay" (doesn't always stick) and "speak" with either hand or verbal command. He knows "off" verbally and cooperates nicely. He knows "come" and listens to this command from my husband but not always with me. (This presents a problem when I want to run him around on our property for some unstructured exercise. The only thing that will get a response is to speak angrily towards him at which time he will sit and wait for me to come to HIM rather than him coming to ME! Yeah not funny. Not so with my husband. My husband can get him running around and excited, but once he says "come and get your leash on" that dog will come racing towards my husband and stop on a dime at his side to get his leash on! The difference in respect is remarkable, but I'm working on correcting that.

Just updating. Still going well with the new rules, and I took him out with a Gentle Leader yesterday for structured exercise. He didn't care for the Gentle Leader, but it stayed on, and I felt better for both of us after I knew he'd gotten outside for longer than a going-to-the-bathroom walk and got us both a bit winded.

I really skimmed over a lot... is there anyway you can crate him away from the dining room (or wherever) when you sit down to eat? Maybe give him a Kong with peanut butter or something smeared inside to keep him busy and not barking? Maybe ONLY give him the Kong when it's dinner time so that he begins to look forward to it after awhile? This can be done without a crate too, of course.

Ted is actually doing a little bit better around supper time. I think the not responding to his barking is changing a bit of his behavior. I want him to 'get' that barking isn't going to work, and I figure the only way to do that is to challenge him on it and call his bluff. Occasionally we have house guests, and this sort of behavior is embarrassing, but again - it's our fault.

I will keep the kong/peanut butter idea in mind, though, as he loves his peanut butter and I've only been giving him this on rare occasions.

We do have a large crate for him, but we haven't used it in probably 2 years, and knowing him like I do, he will bark the entire time he's in there. He's probably be fine in there with a peanut-butter-laden kong though.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234