At what age was your lab potty trained?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At what age was your lab potty trained?

OnUhWhimm is offline Junior Member

DefaultAt what age was your lab potty trained?

We're considering getting an 11 week old lab as a family dog. What suggestions do you have for potty training? When did you lab become potty trained? When were you able to stop taking him out in the middle of the night? Did you take him to the same place in the yard to do his business and did he continue going there on his own?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

We picked Sammi up at 8 wks. I think she maybe had 4 accidents in the house. She was completely potty trained by 10wks. Between her being crate trained and the breeder training them while she had the pup's it was pretty dang easy. We were lucky!

deidra is offline Senior Member

I got Bentley from the pound completly potty trained at 6 months. Tracker my sette rmix is 3 months and i can now leave him out of his crate with no problems. Now with the whole get up in the middle of the night thing. It may depend on the dog. Tank whines sometimes to go out in the mddle of the night and Trackers does almost all the time. Bentley barely whines at night. If you take them to the same place everytime in the yard they should go their aftera bit. treats work wonders with potty training
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lab fan is offline Senior Member

I got Lucy at 8 weeks, and only had to take her out in the middle of the night for the first 3 nights. She was potty trained in the crate immediately, not one accident in the crate. Several accidents in the house for the first couple of weeks, but by 12 weeks pretty much accident free. I did take her out VERY frequently for the first couple of months!! Anytime she pauses near the door I let her out! She is almost 6 months now, and has had the occasional pee (every couple of weeks) in the house - it's almost like she was preoccupied and forgot that she had to go!

Tilly, Feb.11, 2003
    Lucy, Oct. 24, 2010

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    We picked Sammi up at 8 wks. I think she maybe had 4 accidents in the house. She was completely potty trained by 10wks. Between her being crate trained and the breeder training them while she had the pup's it was pretty dang easy. We were lucky!
    This was our experience too (maybe it's a "chocolate" thing ). Bauer only pooped in the house once (my husband's fault), and peed maybe 3 times. He was crate trained which helped a lot, and there is always someone home so he got a lot of potty breaks. All in all, it was shockingly easy.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

alot will depend on:
    - the individual puppy (some simply catch on quicker, some have less bladder control than others...),
    - on how diligent you are at supervising the puppy and taking them outside AND
    - if you have to leave them crated all day long while you are at work and cannot have a dog walker/friend/family let them out (they simply cannot hold it in so you will have to give them space to go in their crate/bed which will delay house training)
    - what their habits are now as the puppy is 11 weeks (ask whoever has the puppy NOW what they are doing, if they have started the work that is great, if not, it may take you longer as the puppy has started the habit). The worst example is a puppy from a pet store that is used to going in their "home" (their kennel) so you are retraining something already learned.

But the more diligent you are at supervising and taking the puppy out the fewer accidents a dog will have and the quicker they will catch on.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BauersMom View Post
    This was our experience too (maybe it's a "chocolate" thing ). Bauer only pooped in the house once (my husband's fault), and peed maybe 3 times. He was crate trained which helped a lot, and there is always someone home so he got a lot of potty breaks. All in all, it was shockingly easy.
    Same here Debi, even with the 1 poop in the house, DH's fault, he knew it and it never happened again

Tucker was completely housetrained by 5 months...sam also.

Tucker the Black Lab - gotcha Date: May 8 2009
    Birthday: March 15th 2009
    Ontario Dock Dog!!
    BA Regional Senior Title
    BA PB 18'1"

Duke the Chessie Mix - Gotcha Date: January 23 2010
    Sam the Shih Tzu - Birthday: December 6th 2002
    Chase the Kitty - Age 15

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

I got Saba at 11 weeks. I remember it was Friday and the following Wednesday (5 days later) was his last accident at home. But it was with constant watching, training and lots of potty breaks outside. Every dog is different and some catch on quicker than others.

Bailey's Mom is offline Senior Member

I would say Bailey was 95% potty trained at 4 months, she had 2 pee accidents I think she just got distracted and forgot to ask to go. And 100% potty trained by 5 months. Just be consistent take her out of crate and right outside to same place to potty every time. If the pup goes they get time outside their crate if they don't pew back in their crate and try again in 15 mins, they will learn quickly going outside gets them opportunity to play in their house. Bailey only needed to go out once during the night and that was the very first night we brought her home at 8 weeks. After first night she slept through night 10-5 with no accidents in her crate ever.

BAILEY 10/1/10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast