Tips to Break Bossy Boots Habbits

Thread: Tips to Break Bossy Boots Habbits

SweetSasafrassy is offline Senior Member

DefaultTips to Break Bossy Boots Habbits

So lately Saffy my 2 year old yellow lab has developed quite the mouth on her. While watching TV in the evening she will kick back for a while, but then we will play fetch with a toy. But when I throw it, she will stand and bark at me... not go get the toy. Then every once in a while she will just walk up and start barking at me while you I'm doing something (usually while I am standing talking on the phone or visiting with someone). Most of the time I will make her sit, and tell her to be quiet, but she does this mouthy thing that's not a full bark, but is by all means NOT QUIET! Any tips? It's getting real irritating... and its SO LOUD!!! I figure I'm not reacting in a good way cause this little trick is getting worse and worse. I need some other ideas before I go deaf.
    Lauren the one who buys Saffy's Kibble

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

attention barking... what fun! A few options:
    -completly and utterly ignore her. Leave the room if you can, returning only when she's quiet.

-put her in a time out (in another room, or in her crate.. keep a drag line/leash on her and simply walk her to another room or to her crate - don't say a word and walk normally - any attention, negative or positive, is what she's craving

-puppy push ups. You want my attention? Okay, dog, you got it! Sit. Down. sit. stand. Sit. down. stand. sit. Stand. down. sit. down. stand. etc etc until you see her zone out (gee this isn't the attention I was looking for...), then release her, give her some quiet praise, and go back to your business.

CAVEAT - is she getting enough physical and mental exercise?

SweetSasafrassy is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the tips. We do go on a 45-1 hour walk in the evening, and I try to fit in at least a 15 minute walk on my lunch break. Mentally, I do need to kick up the training sessions so she gets worn out. The attention barking is considerably worse on bad weather days when we have been cooped up. Today I took her for a bike ride at lunch and am taking her with to visit friends tonight. I hope that wears her out. Must work on my own resolve to just be quiet & calm when shes driving me up the wall!
    Lauren the one who buys Saffy's Kibble