14 week old pup

Thread: 14 week old pup

hmhershey is offline Senior Member

Default14 week old pup

I have a question more out of curiousity than anything else. Our lab is 14 weeks old (friday) and I'm just curious as to where he should be training wise. He knows Sit and down really well, and is starting to figure out 'come'. Besides that and potty training, what else should he know by now? HWe are starting today on 'heel'. The last puppy I had I was 10, so I don't remember all these stages. Thanks so much!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Laceezmom is offline Senior Member

My puppy is going on six months and we graduated from puppy kindergarten and have moved on to intermediate good manners. It is going well. Your puppy is young to learn come reliably but I wanted to pass on what our trainer has said about this. Never use the word "come" unless you have some way of making it happen and then always make it joyous. With a long lead attached - like at least 20 feet - you can use "come" and give him a little tug if he does not get it. Drop a good treat between your feet. Unless you know he will come you should not use the command, just go get him. You never want the puppy to think he has an option not to come when called. Also, even if he takes his time and does not respond immediately, always praise him and reward him for coming when he does. We worked on loose leash walking right away but did not start heel until a couple of weeks ago. You can work on stay or wait with your puppy and if you can teach with hand signals as well as a verbal command it is helpful. leave it is another very useful command you can teach now.

pyrotech is offline Member

Snoogans is about 11 weeks, and I've mostly decided to train her on the ones I felt are the most important to me. She has 'sit' and 'stay' down pretty well, 'leave it,' and we're starting to focus on 'come.' She does pretty well with walking on a leash in short bursts (about 10 minutes at a time before she wants to just start going crazy). The important ones for me are the ones I need her to know perfectly.

Sit and stay are important for whenever I'm needing to open the door / use keys, or have her eat without bowling me over. Same with crossing a street. Leave it is important so that eventually she will ignore squirrels / rabbits / etc while hiking on trails with me. Same with leash walking directly by my side; when I go mountain biking with her, she has to be able to keep the same pace without pulling on her lead at all.

I'd say start with the ones that are the most important for you in the long run, and just understand that it's going to take time for your pup to get it. Of course, I could be wrong and may just be confusing my pup, but it seems the most logical to me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HeySquirt is offline Senior Member

Emmett is 12 weeks today and yesterday was week 3 of puppy class. He's learning sit, down, stay, stand, settle (relax) and come. We do what they call "puppy ping pong" he goes back and forth between me and someone (usually DH) the important thing is not to get to far away(don't ever set them up for failure)

I've also been working on leave it and off as well as no bite... the no bite has been a big one since my older dog is not being a good big brother in teaching him this. He let's Emmett chew on him like he's a giant Nylabone.

It's never too young to start.