Embarrassed and confused!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Embarrassed and confused!

  1. #1
    Ann2 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    10

    QuestionEmbarrassed and confused!

    I am not sure If this is the correct forum, I am a newer here, but If not please someone let me know,
    Last night my lab bit me, I am still very confused and upset, not mentioned physically hurt, I hardly can move my arm and bruises and wounds are everywhere, It was ugly!
    We have 2 cats and Victor (6 years old black lab) they get along pretty well considering they are just learning how to live together, once in a while we find Victor's urine around the house and we believe are territorial marks but It has been rare lately,
    We always give our pets some treat in the weekends, soft food, tuna, caned food, Victor has omelets that we know is a excellent source of nutrition for dogs (just in the weekends), we have chickens and he behave very well around them also.
    Last night we gave the animals the treat at the same time, as we always do, separated from each other, opposite sides of the room, Victor ate his portion as fast as he could (as usual) and he always eat the cats left overs when nobody is looking, yesterday we were around and we reprehended him, my husband "strongly" told him to get away from the dish and he hided under the table, he got very aggressive when I tried to get him by his collar (very unusual, he is always very receptive and obedient), he growled at me aggressively and I thought If I leave now I will be showing him my weaknesses and that will encourage his behavior, so I just kept going with no fear, I never imagine he would hurt me the way he did, after bites here and there, growling, barking "what mess" he gave up, we locked him in the front porch of the house and I went clean the wounds that were bleeding all over the house, It was a such terrible situation that I honestly don't know what to do, I don't know If I can trust him again. I just know right now I am the rational one and I got do what is best for both of us.
    It just makes me really sad that such a lovely dog could have done what he did to my arm, It wasn't the same dog I knew since he was born, I took care of him with a lot of love, our house is a very peaceful place, we don't scream, we don't fight, our pets are not abused or neglected animals, we take very good care of them.
    I don't think he is sick, but we will be taken him to the veterinary, and I have a doctor appointment tomorrow to see the injuries, just don't want be around him and I don't have any experience with training, I don't know If he knows what he did, I just don't know anything right now, I am very confused, I don't want give him away and I don't trust him anymore, I honestly don't know what to right now, he is isolated in the leaving room and I am in my bedroom, he is a such good dog, smart, obedient, just don't know what happened and I don't know If I can forgive him, I just don't know what to do anymore .... what would you do in this situation?
    Last edited by Ann2; 02-06-2011 at 12:38 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    ScorpianAbarth's Avatar
    ScorpianAbarth is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    804

    Default

    The first thing you should have done was listen to his warning. He growled and let you know before he bit. You say that he had never in his 6 years done that before - that should have been a red flag initially. It's not his fault it escalated to the bite. As hard as it is, you have to remember that if you want to rebuild your faith in him.

    Take him to the vet and get him checked out, that would be my first piece of advice. See what they say, then go from there

  4. #3
    Ann2 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScorpianAbarth View Post
    The first thing you should have done was listen to his warning. He growled and let you know before he bit. You say that he had never in his 6 years done that before - that should have been a red flag initially. It's not his fault it escalated to the bite. As hard as it is, you have to remember that if you want to rebuild your faith in him.

    Take him to the vet and get him checked out, that would be my first piece of advice. See what they say, then go from there
    ScorpianAbarth, thank you so much for your advice,
    He was neutered few months ago and he was perfectly healthy, but we will take him to vet just in case,
    I thought that If I allow him to intimidates me and back up because he growled I would be encouraging his behavior and not correcting him and the bad behavior would become a habit knowing that every time he growls or act aggressive he get what he wants, I guess wasn't the best way to correct him getting myself hurt, but after all, he realized that wasn't working so he stopped, I guess I will just let things settle down and wait to see what happens, and hopefully that will never happen again.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastham, Ma
    Posts
    386

    Default

    Just curious if hub reprimanded him and he went to hide under the table why would you try to get him out? The mission was accomplished of getting him to leave the cat food alone. I'll also cast another vote for going to see the vet...


    Nancy

    Mom to Spike & Tiller



  7. #5
    Tanya is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,797

    Default

    I don't necessarily agree with the above. To back off when a dog growls teaches them that growling = get their way.

    Having said that, I am not a professional.

    What I would recommend is finding a behaviorist in your area (talk to your vet when you go see them, that is also one of the first things that should be done, ensure the dog is healthy). Or trainer with experience in this type of issue. I don't think this is the type of thing that can be solved strictly by online recommendations, you need someone to come evaluate the dog and the environment and give you hands on tips on what to do.

    I have to say it sounds like one really bad bite (and from the sounds if it multiple times??). this is serious stuff. Dogs know how to give a warning bite and the fact he did not, that he drew blood like that from the first shot, means you need to address the issues now. Not saying to give up on teh dog but your family is going to need help to rebuild your own confidence in the dog and set a plan on where to go from here.

    ETA: Please do not just ignore this and "hope it does not have again". Get a trainer/behaviorist to set up an environmet and training program to ENSURE this does not happen again. As soon as possible (this week)
    Last edited by Tanya; 02-06-2011 at 02:42 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

  8. #6
    Ann2 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spike's Mom View Post
    Just curious if hub reprimanded him and he went to hide under the table why would you try to get him out? The mission was accomplished of getting him to leave the cat food alone. I'll also cast another vote for going to see the vet...
    Went grocery for the Superbowl today
    Answering your question: We were sitting at the table playing a game and I stand up to see what was going, hubby was at the table also but he had better vision to the cats dish, the table is small If he is under the table there's not much room for our legs LOL.

  9. #7
    ScorpianAbarth's Avatar
    ScorpianAbarth is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    804

    Default

    Tanya brings up a very valid point. What exactly did he do to your arm and how many times? Was he taught bite inhibition?

  10. #8
    Ann2 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    I don't necessarily agree with the above. To back off when a dog growls teaches them that growling = get their way.

    Having said that, I am not a professional.

    What I would recommend is finding a behaviorist in your area (talk to your vet when you go see them, that is also one of the first things that should be done, ensure the dog is healthy). Or trainer with experience in this type of issue. I don't think this is the type of thing that can be solved strictly by online recommendations, you need someone to come evaluate the dog and the environment and give you hands on tips on what to do.

    I have to say it sounds like one really bad bite (and from the sounds if it multiple times??). this is serious stuff. Dogs know how to give a warning bite and the fact he did not, that he drew blood like that from the first shot, means you need to address the issues now. Not saying to give up on teh dog but your family is going to need help to rebuild your own confidence in the dog and set a plan on where to go from here.

    ETA: Please do not just ignore this and "hope it does not have again". Get a trainer/behaviorist to set up an environmet and training program to ENSURE this does not happen again. As soon as possible (this week)
    Tanya,
    I agree 100% with you, I am just lost now, I am not sure what to do right now, I kinda want to get of my chest coming here also, with people that love their dogs as I do love mine, my husband is treating the situation as nothing ever happened and he does not understand that hurt my feelings the fact that he was able to hurt me with such violence, It hurts more than the physical injuries.
    Tomorrow I have doctor appointment for other reason and he can take a look, the wounds are deep and the bruisers are really purple, so I just want to make sure that no muscles were damaged, I am avoiding the dog and he looks normal, friendly and lovely as usual, but that does not change what was done,
    Oh well, thank you so much everyone, God bless you all!!!

  11. #9
    Ann2 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScorpianAbarth View Post
    Tanya brings up a very valid point. What exactly did he do to your arm and how many times? Was he taught bite inhibition?
    I got bitten several times, It was very violent, he wasn't afraid of hurting me, It could been worst I know but I will not tolerate that kind of behave from an animal that was treated with respect and love,

  12. #10
    Tanya is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,797

    Default

    At a MINIMUM do nilf with the dog and get a handle in the marking. But I personally would be looking to work with a trainer. If this behavior was out of the blue it is likely health related but chances are there were signs along the way that were missed.

    Did he bite once or multiple times?
    Was there blood? If so how much?
    Did he just hold your arm or squease tight?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-25-2010, 03:06 PM
  2. We embarrassed ourselves
    By kassabella in forum Obedience/Tracking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-01-2006, 01:19 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25