Potty training *sigh*
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potty training *sigh*

pyrotech is offline Member

DefaultPotty training *sigh*

I know there are tons of threads discussing potty training already. I don't really have a question...

I just got back from the grocery store down the street, so was gone about 20 minutes. Had just let Snoogans out right before I left. I come back, and she's smiling up at me in her kennel covered in her own urine, with the floor of her kennel soaked. This is the 3rd time I've cleaned her kennel floor today, and have already given her a bath today to get the urine off of her this morning. I came home from snowboarding for a few hours, and she had already eaten her poop that she made on the kennel floor, and had rolled around in her urine. It's as if she likes being covered in the smell of it or something.

Just thought I'd start a collective *sigh* from the other pup owners out there who understand the frustrations. :-)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Puppies sure aren't easy are they!

Had she had a full pee before you went to the store? (did you see her)?

Are you able to set a shedule and see when she is having her accidents?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2CrazyDogs is offline Member

Yes, potty training sure can be frustrating, I just wanted to let you know that you are not the only one dealing with potty training issues. Demon will not pee/poop inside at all as long as I take him out every 1.5-2 hours (working on getting him to let me know when he needs to go though). Angel on the other hand will pee whenever/wherever suits her. She give off NO signals before she goes, she'll get up and pee right in front of me (no sniffing, whining, or searching before hand). Starting tomorrow I'm going to take her out every 30-60 minutes and limit her water intake while continuing to praise like crazy.
    Anyway, I don't really have any suggestions for you. I've never had a dog pee in their crate (lucky I guess). I'm sure there are others here who could give you better advice than I could.

Angel- Lab/Boxer/Husky
    Demon- Lab/Boxer/GSD
    ~Ashley~

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hark67 is offline Senior Member

Hang in there! Been there done that! Fortunately I never had a poop eater(and pray I never doo...LOL)

My last lab took forever to potty train. I remember it seemed like every time I went to get him out of the crate he was soaked in urine.

My current lab was a breeze. The breeder started potty training them with a litter box type setup when they were about 5 weeks old. By the time he came to me he already knew he needed to go outside to potty. I didn't have to do anything.

The breeder said pups prefer to keep their sleeping area clean but if raised where they don't have a choice they learn not to care. She suspected that was why my last lab took so long to potty train.

Quote Originally Posted by hark67 View Post
    Fortunately I never had a poop eater(and pray I never doo...LOL)
    You know, it sounds really horrible, and I'm probably a terrible person for thinking this, but when she does eat it, it definitely saves me time on cleanup, lol.

As for if she had a full pee, she never really does. When I'm home, I take her out every 45 mins to an hour (she's 11 weeks) and she pees every time I take her out. She just pees a really small amount, then goes on about our walk. On days that I'm out at work, I put her in her kennel at about 8:30am, and come home around noon to let her out. Most days she's fine. Some days she will have wet her kennel, and I'll clean it up during my lunch hour (oh how I miss actually eating lunch on my lunch hour, haha). I'll walk her, let her do her business, then put her back in her kennel, and she's almost always fine until I get home around 5 or 6. I'll take her out about once every hour after that until around 9 when I put her to bed. Some nights she'll wake me up around 4 or so to go out, we'll go out, then I put her back to bed until she wakes me again at 7 to start the day. She's been SO GOOD this past week, and today was an odd occurrence that I had to clean her kennel 3 times.

2CrazyDogs, at this point, I get paranoid when Snoogans starts to sniff around the house. She's probably just exploring, but I take her out anyway, haha. Before I take her out now, I've been getting her to sit by the door and stay (we're learning 'stay,' and she's getting really good at it). I'm hoping that by doing this, she'll go sit and wait by the door when she's ready to go out. She's gone and sat by the door a few times, and I try to make sure that whenever she sits and stays for a little while (about 20 seconds), I take her outside. Of course, this is good for now, but when she gets older, I'm going to have to find a way to get her to maybe scratch at the door or something so I can hear it if I'm not watching her 24/7.

And Tanya, she has been on a pretty consistent schedule, but I think weekends may confuse her a bit when she gets more freedom around the house, since I'm home to watch her more. She doesn't get the advantage of just waiting until she sees me again to know when it's time to eat, go out, etc. She's doing 500% better than just a few weeks ago though, so I've got a lot of faith in her! :-D

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

How much time does she get running around? If you don't have a yard a hallway will do - even if it's 15 minutes a few times a day of being able to run freely. Since the bladder is a muscle maybe she needs more exercise? Does exercise even help tone the bladder?

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Kassa took forever to house train. The breeder had been training them so not sure why she was like it.
    I got a pen type fixture that attached to the crate so she has room to get away from her bed and pee.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

kaytris is offline Senior Member

was she raised in a kennel or in the house - did the breeder get her started on housetraining at all? Have you had her tested for a UTI?

Feeding her in her crate might help.

twsnow18 is offline Member

This possibly might be your savior, it was for me. I was getting frustrated with Tucker, so right at 11 weeks I put some bells hanging down from the back door handle right at his level and everytime I took him out I'd say "Steamer" (thats his potty word) then I'd ring the bell, then open the door to let him out and repeat "steamer" while he's outside and going potty. Do it after every play session, nap, meal etc. and she will pick it up fast I almost gurantee it. It only took like 3 or 4 times for Tucker to get it. Now he's 13 weeks, waits at the door every single time and I can hear the bells across the house. Give it a try.

I've heard a lot of great things about ringing a bell. My mother swears by it as well. Haven't tried it yet; I think I may get her one this weekend.

I got Snoogans at an adoption event from a shelter, and they only had her less than a week. I'm really not sure if she was potty trained as a really young pup or not. I got her at 8 weeks old.

I don't have a yard, but we play in the apartment for about 30 minutes on my lunch hour, and a few hours in the evening when I get home. We play fetch, so she's constantly running back and forth, and tug-of-war is her favorite craze. Well, that, and "let's see if I can destroy this so-called 'indestructible' toy." She loves that one! :-)
    When I'm out of work, we go for walks. If it snowed a lot the night before, I take her out to a local field where she likes to romp through the powder. She has to stay on her leash for now, since we haven't gotten recall down yet, but she gets at least 2 hours or so of exercise on weekdays, and closer to 5 or so on weekends.

I haven't had her tested for an UTI, but isn't it pretty normal for puppies to pee a lot?

I'm definitely not over-concerned with her going in her crate since she doesn't do it nearly as much as she used to only a couple of weeks ago. She's starting to like her crate, and doesn't run for cover when I tell her to go to her kennel anymore. She actually goes willingly now when I call her into her room and call her to kennel. It's just odd that she doesn't mind rolling around in her urine. Sometimes I think she likes watching me play "clean the kennel floor," lol. I'd have to say, I've become very good and fast at cleaning it though!

I usually wash it with Dawn dish soap, and scrub away with a scrubber I got just for her messes. Then I use an odor neutralizer on it, in hopes it will keep the smell away so that she doesn't think it's her proper 'spot' to go. It's a removable plastic flooring for her kennel (she has one of the big cages with a sliding plastic floor for easy cleaning, and a divider to keep her area small for now). I assume scrubbing it and washing it with Dawn is good enough, but use the odor neutralizer on it just in case. Do you think this is overkill? Maybe just the Dawn would work? I'm kinda jealous; her living area is cleaner than mine, haha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast