Help! Biting, aggressive 9 week old lab! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help! Biting, aggressive 9 week old lab!

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Sounds like Kassa. She was out first pup and my SIL who breeds Bichons told me she was aggressive and take her back. I saw a trainer who said she needs time out as we may have been getting her over tired and put her into the crate to rest.

Those razor teeth hurt. I raised my voice a little and yelped and she soon learned not to bite. Not sure if this was the right way to do it, but it worked.
    Ernie was the same when I got him at 3.5. Constantly bit until he learned not to. He gets mouthy if he is excited.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

Welcome to my world! Spike was also the little guy With the growling I had seen the breeder gently hold on to his moms snout and say "look at me" and when mom made eye contact she told her to stop growling - she was VERY preggers at the time and another dog just got to her I did that with Spike - albeit alittle firmer because he was all over the place (snarling and snapping) and it almost stopped immediately. Make sure you say "Look at me" because that will come in handy forever. And let him calm own a little in your arms if you can. Eye contact is a huge thing. I don't know how they interpret it so i can't tell you why but at 9 weeks he's capable. Spike has only stopped attacking my son's pants at 4 months but it helps if they have a ready supply of toys to give him to substitute for the "attack" . What turned him around with my son is that he would come downstairs in the morning and go over a "trick" he learned at school. Maybe the kids can even try teaching him "sit" or something easy and he will look at them differently. Also when I give him a treat I say "gentle" and he doesn't get the treat until he takes it from me gently. Good Luck!

I was just thinking what would compare to the state of mind these little guys get themselves in and I'd have to say it's like when Ralphie is beating the snot out of Scut Farkus in A Christmas Story
    Last edited by Spike's Mom; 02-05-2011 at 07:53 AM.

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spike's Mom View Post
    Welcome to my world! Spike was also the little guy With the growling I had seen the breeder gently hold on to his moms snout and say "look at me" and when mom made eye contact she told her to stop growling - she was VERY preggers at the time and another dog just got to her I did that with Spike - albeit alittle firmer because he was all over the place (snarling and snapping) and it almost stopped immediately. Make sure you say "Look at me" because that will come in handy forever. And let him calm own a little in your arms if you can. Eye contact is a huge thing. I don't know how they interpret it so i can't tell you why but at 9 weeks he's capable. Spike has only stopped attacking my son's pants at 4 months but it helps if they have a ready supply of toys to give him to substitute for the "attack" . What turned him around with my son is that he would come downstairs in the morning and go over a "trick" he learned at school. Maybe the kids can even try teaching him "sit" or something easy and he will look at them differently. Also when I give him a treat I say "gentle" and he doesn't get the treat until he takes it from me gently. Good Luck!

I was just thinking what would compare to the state of mind these little guys get themselves in and I'd have to say it's like when Ralphie is beating the snot out of Scut Farkus in A Christmas Story
    LOL @ the Ralphie memory..... ahhhh great comparison Spike's Mom!!

What we did was whenever puppy nipped or got mouthy, we'd grab his muzzle and hold down firmly. as he got a bit older and 'knew better', we'd grab his snout and hold down firmly until he whined a teeny bit.
    at 8.5 months he still gets excited and mouthy at times. it goes hand in hand with having a lab. but it has gotten WAY WAY WAY better. echoing everyone else - it gets better. just stay consistent.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I find puppies get wound up right before they are ready to "crash" so generally would try picking them up and putting them in the crate for a nap first. If he truly needs more bite inhibition, I take a more direct approach here than most and slip their jowl under their own canine to show them how it feels (it does work and no, my puppies are not hand shy). He didn't get enough from his littermates apparently and it's quite possible the breeder didn't do anything to help along the process either. I often have to do a bit of bite inhibition at 5-6 wks and it really helps. Other things to avoid w/ him is tug games that put you on equal levels w/ him. Don't let him think you or your kids are just more puppies to play with.

PS I'm sorry your breeder is not responding to your requests. Do you know anyone else w/ littermates to talk to or perhaps arrange a play date with?

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    I find puppies get wound up right before they are ready to "crash" so generally would try picking them up and putting them in the crate for a nap first. If he truly needs more bite inhibition, I take a more direct approach here than most and slip their jowl under their own canine to show them how it feels (it does work and no, my puppies are not hand shy). He didn't get enough from his littermates apparently and it's quite possible the breeder didn't do anything to help along the process either. I often have to do a bit of bite inhibition at 5-6 wks and it really helps. Other things to avoid w/ him is tug games that put you on equal levels w/ him. Don't let him think you or your kids are just more puppies to play with.

PS I'm sorry your breeder is not responding to your requests. Do you know anyone else w/ littermates to talk to or perhaps arrange a play date with?
    I tried doing that with Spike (the jowl over the canine) and I swear he tightened up so it wouldn't reach

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

2CrazyDogs is offline Member

It's cases like this where I'm glad I have 2 . One on one though I still have to teach them to be soft with their mouths. When they get out of hand I yell "ouch" really loud and 75% of the time they either stop completely or bite softer. If they do it a second time in a row I yell "ouch" again and hold their mouth shut for a few seconds, look them in the eye and say "soft". For a 3rd offense they get completely ignored for a few minutes by either put into their crate or gated in the kitchen. Also, if you've never owned a dog before, especially a "noisy breed" you'd totally think that their playing sounds were aggressive. I swear some breeds sound like they're going to kill the other dog with how vocal they get lol.

Angel- Lab/Boxer/Husky
    Demon- Lab/Boxer/GSD
    ~Ashley~

HeySquirt is offline Senior Member

"No Bite" has been used consistantly in my house for about 4-5 weeks now. We too got Emmett "early" at 6 weeks and at about 7-8 weeks the nipping started. He is MUCH better but I still remember my hubby... "It's a good thing you named him after a Vampire cuz this little bastard has vampire teeth... look I'm bleeding" LOL!!

I just used "No Bite" eventually I'll transtion this to "Easy" for the kids if he does nip at them and he gets them tell them to cry loud - remind them it's a fake cry - that helped when E was being like that with my friends girls. It will get better.... I find that after he's been playing or messing around with my older dog he is more nippy and needs a remind that mom's not into that. It's work!

mandaz000 is offline Senior Member

Those teeth hurt. I never thought it would end when i was in it but now i barely even remember the pain. The only thing that stopped Aspen was a quick squirt in the face with water. After a couple times she would just see the water bottle and stop. Good luck, it's a very tiring time.

Amanda

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    I bet it did. But I imagine it hurts if it gets in their eyes, no? I prefer not to dole out painful corrections to a puppy.
    ^^This... getting it in their eyes was my first thought. Ouch!

Jewelia is offline Junior Member

My Kimi did the same however at 13 weeks now she is brilliant. My friend who breeds labs advised me to hold her by her scruff, bare my teeth and growl at her at the same time a sharp nudge to her flank. If she came back at me growl again. If she then presisted pin her down on her back, growl and a gentle nip to her ear with your teeth.
    This would be the way the mother would deal with them and it's in language the puppies understand. Kimi no longer bites or attacks the kids legs or attacks my arm. Hang on in there it does get better.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast