Vomiting after shots?

Thread: Vomiting after shots?

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultVomiting after shots?

Spike has vomited twice today. Once after breakfast and once after dinner. For lunch i gave him 1/2 cup as opposed to a full cup and unless I missed something that didn't come back up. He got his shots yesterday- lepto, parvo and rabies. He's quiet but only because I'm setting the tone. He's still chasing the cat, playing with toys on and off and drinking. He pooped not too long ago. He is leaning on me alot more which is alittle strange. He got his shots on Tuesday morning (yesterday) and seemed alittle sore but nothing I would have not expected. I'm going to call the vet in the morning but can they vomit from shots? He is also teething big time - could it be from that?

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bailey's Mom is offline Senior Member

Hmm, I know vomiting can be a side affect. What does his vomit look like? Is it whole kibble? Our vet told us reason Bailey vomited a few times is because she wasn't chewing it at all because she was teething, we literally could've bagged her vomit and re sold it as kibble! But Def talk to your vet, keep me posted!

BAILEY 10/1/10

Dani is offline Senior Member

That's a lot of shots in one setting. Lepto always makes Rider sick. I space out vaccinations so they don't get a system overload...about a week apart. So, yes...vaccinations can cause issues.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a reaction to me-- just like one of my owner's pups had a couple years ago only that pup had serious diarrhea also. Call your vet so it is reported to the vaccine manufacturer. For future reference, separate out your vaccines!!!! Lepto, rabies (and injectable bordetella) are the top 3 for producing reactions.

I do a 5 wk parvo-only vaccine here, followed by 3 core combos 3-4 wks apart starting at 7 wks, THEN L-4 (lepto) 3 wks later, followed by the booster in another 3-4 wks, followed lastly by the Rabies at 3-4 wks after the lepto.

The only time I had a reaction is when I allowed my vet to shoot a dog up w/ the whole mess together. The practice ought to be banned in my opinion. Certain manufacturer's products have a higher than normal amount of reactions too, btw. Which is why I give all my own now, so I know what my dogs are getting and can control when they get it (other than rabies which must be given by a vet).

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey's Mom View Post
    Hmm, I know vomiting can be a side affect. What does his vomit look like? Is it whole kibble? Our vet told us reason Bailey vomited a few times is because she wasn't chewing it at all because she was teething, we literally could've bagged her vomit and re sold it as kibble! But Def talk to your vet, keep me posted!
    I have yet to call the vet - he's eating smaller meals and seems fine now, running around like a nut outside - but I will give them a heads up. But yes - unchewed whole kibble...

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Best to do vaccinations separate that way you KNOW which one caused the problem. Jed has reactions to rabies. He vomited and was lethargic for the evening after his first one. When we did his booster at 1 year the vet gave him a shot to counter-act the reaction and he did fine.

pyrotech is offline Member

Snoogans vomited once the next morning after her shots (about 1.5 weeks ago), and didn't eat that morning (she vomited right before breakfast, so I can imagine not really into eating). She seemed a little depressed that morning, so I worked from home and looked after her, playing lightly with her. She's been perfectly fine and happy since. She only got one shot (I think it was for both lepto and parvo?), and ate a dewormer. She hasn't been treated for rabies yet; that comes in her next round of shots in a few weeks. I thought it was strange, since she seemed perfectly fine the day of her shot, but it was just once, the next morning. She's been a perfectly happy puppy since! Hope Spike is feeling better!