Jumper/Puller

Thread: Jumper/Puller

swanny320 is offline Member

DefaultJumper/Puller

So my 5 month old pup thinks he is a kangaroo. Walking him has become quite a chore because, try as I may, he just won't respond to the training I've been doing. He is hell bent on sniffing and pulling when and where he wants. I don't feel it's an effort to dominate...I just think the poor thing is so hyper he can't control himself (and being a special ed teacher who works with ADHD kids, I get it). But obviously, as he gets bigger and stronger, it's not good. I want a nice calm dog.

To make it worse, when he meets or greets people, he jumps like a wild kangaroo and is so mouthy that he wants to bite (not aggressively, just playing). I've been trying to make him SIT before anyone is allowed to greet him and it's had minimal effect.

Aside from a harness, what other things should I consider using? Definitely would NEVER consider a prong collar but how do you guys feel aabout a choke collar for when I walk him? Any ideas would be great. I've had labs in the past and they were just never this jumpy and crazy. Poor guy...he is a great pup - he just has soooooooooo much energy.

P.S. I walk him A LOT, per vet recommendation. Sometimes we walk for an hour or more and we hike on weekends (last weekend we hiked 7 miles and it did NOTHING to temper his energy lol).

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Laceezmom is offline Senior Member

Order a sensation harness. Very good for stopping the pulling. As for meeting up with others and being under control, I do a sit/stay and hold a string cheese in my hand so my pup - also 5 months - can only taste it, not really bite it. I have made the string cheese harder, I call them 'string cheese leathers' by taking them out of the wrapper and putting them into the fridge for a couple of days. They wither and get hard. As per our trainer's advise, we say to people and dogs that we are working on training and she cannot say hello at that time.

swanny320 is offline Member

Lacesszmom,

Thanks for the tip. Let me clarify, the cheese is in your hand and in front of his face or by his mouth when people come by/around? You hold it so he can't actually gobble it but lick it? That sounds good. I will definitely try this and it will probably work well because my lil guy is more motivated by food than any of the other labs I had. Thanks so much. After he sits and the people pass, do you give him the cheese as a reward?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

Do you have a yard? Walking is good but maybe he needs to play fetch or just freely exert himself to get rid of some of the energy.

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

Laceezmom is offline Senior Member

yes I hold the cheese right in front of her nose and let her lick or nibble on it. When the incident os over, treat with something. With the dried cheese it is hard to break off a piece. I keep the dried cheese in my coat pocket while we walk and put it back in the fridge when we get home.