house training

Thread: house training

nut1971 is offline Junior Member

Defaulthouse training

I have an 8 week old yellow lab. She is in crate training and doing great! My issue is that when I take her outside to potty she does a great job, but then comes in the house and pees. We are outside for about 30 minutes and I am not talking to her until after she potties. I have had labs before, but none of them did this. But this is my first female. Any ideas? Oh, and she will pee in her crate without asking to go out...she is only in the crate during the night(which she is dry) but during the day for about 1 hour at a time. Any ideas would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

Be patient...8 weeks is very young, she is still learning. I have two females and it took me at least a couple of months to get the housebreaking thing down.

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    Be patient...8 weeks is very young, she is still learning. I have two females and it took me at least a couple of months to get the housebreaking thing down.
    Agree - 8 weeks is very young. When Aila was that age, I would set my alarm to get up every 2 hours in the middle of the night to let her out. I gradually increased to every 2.5, 3, 3.5 and continued to do this until she was about 4.5 months old - let's just say i didn't get a lot of sleep. But the consistency and patience eventually paid-off. I would give your pup time, she's still a baby.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

She is doing great at night...sleeps thru. I take her out she potties, then not one minute in the house pees. I realize she is 8 weeks, but my other labs never did this.

lab fan is offline Senior Member

My first lab did that for the first month or so that we had her. It was incredibly frustrating. Our new puppy hasn't done that once, I made a huge deal every time she went outside, praise, treats, the works. Don't know if that makes a differences, but much easier on me this time around.

Tilly, Feb.11, 2003
    Lucy, Oct. 24, 2010

Yes..I am doing that too. We all stand on our heads with joy. I guess I will just see what happens the next couple of weeks.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Some are just tougher than others. What were the litter conditions she was raised in? Did they provide a "clean" area for the puppies or did they just potty wherever and get used to it?

Some litters are not as genetically predisposed to cleanliness as others either. I too have an 8 wk old here and just got thru raising her and 6 littermates-- plus 3 fosters thru week 5.5. The fosters were from totally different lines. There was a huge difference (they were tougher to potty train to the pellet pool)despite the fact I had them here since 10 days old, so before eyes opened, etc. Bottom line, don't compare this one to your former pups. Too many factors at play.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

She came from a clean and healthy home. From my other labs I have learned what to look for in a breeder.