Ripping up Pee pads
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ripping up Pee pads

Jewelia is offline Junior Member

UnhappyRipping up Pee pads

Twice today my 12 week old pup has ripped up her pee pad. I wish I knew why. Is it attention or just plain downright mischief/boredom?? I play with her I take her out several times for a mad run around she has chews and toys to play with. I turn my back to do a chore or two and I'm greeted by you know what. She even pooed in her bed the other night.....what am I doing wrong pleeeeeeeeeease can someone help me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mandaz000 is offline Senior Member

I attempted the pee pads but it didn't last long. Aspen thought they were a toy. I gave up and just went around potty training as normal. That age needs to go out every two to three hours. At any sign of possibly wanting to go out we went out. Then every two the three hours we stayed out until she went. Oh and they have to go after excessive play, drinking, eating, and taking a nap. If she had an accident I knew I made a mistake and wasn't watching her enough. Just clean it up and move on. I heard/read somewhere that large/medium breed dogs don't really do well with the pee pads. I don't know if that is accurate info but Aspen thought they were a toy. She even did pee on them once but the next one she tore up. When potty training it seems to take forever and they are never going to get it and then one day they just get it and you realize that A. It really didn't take that long B. You stressed so much over nothing. I remember the day Aspen got it. We were walking to the back fence and peed right before we got to the fence. She looked up at me like I really was trying to hold it, I just praised her for holding it through the night and going outside. Ever since we haven't had a problem.

Sometimes now (she's 8 months) we go out and she just looks at me like, "really mom, I don't have to pee, but i guess if you want me to i will" I remember it being a very stressful time but now that it's in the past, i know i made a way more big deal out of it than was needed.

Amanda

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Throw away the pee pads and try to potty train the dog.

They need to go out after every meal, every nap, and every play session. And then just about every 2 hours on general. If you can't watch the pup like a hawk while you do your chores, you need to put the pup in a safe place like a pen or a crate.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

Is she peeing in the house at all? Maybe she's telling you she is done with them. Spike was weird when we got him. He would go pee at a door that he was never let out of so I just put the pad there and had a cup of his kibble there for treats. After a while he would only go there if it was an emergency then he refused to use them. The only time i had tug of war troubles was when I was throwing them out and cleaning the area. When he wasn't using them so much I would leave a pee there for a couple of days so he knew that's where he could go. That didn't last long. Now that he is exclusively let out he can have to go 3 or 4 times (or more) in a half hour if he drank alot.

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Don't train your dog to pee in the house. Get her outside to potty where you want her to immediately, or you will forever have a dog who thinks it is appropriate to defecate in the house.

She's ripping them because she's a baby and they're available for destruction.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Yeah, a friend tried to tell me to use pee pads for potty training, but I never did do it, because it seemed to counterproductive to potty training puppy.
    Up until puppy was about 3.5 months, someone was always with him to take him out to pee every 1-3 hours, and after that we had our brother in law come in at lunch until 6 months, so that puppy could go during the day.

Keep at it! It will work!

lisa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Canyon Labradors View Post
    Throw away the pee pads and try to potty train the dog.

They need to go out after every meal, every nap, and every play session. And then just about every 2 hours on general. If you can't watch the pup like a hawk while you do your chores, you need to put the pup in a safe place like a pen or a crate.
    ^^^
    That

Jewelia is offline Junior Member

DefaultThanks

Well thanks for all your input and constructive criticism. Over the weeks I have been watching her constantly throughout the day and as soon as she moved towards the door I am getting her outside quite successfully. I had a pen for her which I would put her in if needed to go collect children from school and do my chores however she has managed to escape over the top of it. I had the pee mats at the door for in case etc while I had to bob out and she used them until today. I have managed to borrow a crate and will use that. Our down fall is once the children are home from school (young children I might add) I admit I find it hard to multi task. Anyway will persevere. I know you only get out of your dog what you put in.

Thanks again everyone!

P.S can anyone throw any light as to why she may have pooed in her bed. It was everywhere. As I have been led to believe they don't toilet in their beds.

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

I would get rid of the pee pads - I tried them with Aila, but she did the same thing and just ripped them to pieces. We just started taking her out every couple of hours and after every meal. She would still have accidents in the house, but that's all part of potty training. We found the pee pads worked well to clean up her accidents - they are very absorbent!

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by maloneandme View Post
    Yeah, a friend tried to tell me to use pee pads for potty training, but I never did do it, because it seemed to counterproductive to potty training puppy.
    Up until puppy was about 3.5 months, someone was always with him to take him out to pee every 1-3 hours, and after that we had our brother in law come in at lunch until 6 months, so that puppy could go during the day.

Keep at it! It will work!
    I know exactly what you are saying - I thought the same exact thing but after Spike would go to the same exact spot most of the time I gave in. I think on the plus side it taught him that there was a place where it was ok to go inside so he wasn't struggling with "What do I do?" if he had to go and still couldn't grasp the concept of going out. Now he goes to the door and if no one comes he'll whimper a little. I can't wait until Spring!!

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast