Are some dogs just born obedient?

Thread: Are some dogs just born obedient?

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultAre some dogs just born obedient?

I was talking with a friend about this. Spike started school and alot is being put into his training. Sometimes we see dogs that are so incredibly obedient and well behaved as well as obviously loved but you know their owner did not put hours and hours into their training (trust me, we know lol). What is their secret?

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dedfish is offline Junior Member

Consistency of training?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

no, dogs are not just "born obedient" - HOWEVER, temperment can play a role in how much work it will take to train the dog. This is why good breeders will not just let buyers pick their puppy based on looks, color, sexe as that puppy may not be the right fit for them. (and this is not ment to relate to you specifically) - they don't want the puppy that is more zealous and hard headed (but who may have more drive and be a perfect fit for a performance family) to go to either the first time dog owner who just wants a pet. They pick the puppy that will be fit the family and their needs. Temperment is also (should be at least) part of the reason for breeding two dogs (as well as health and conformationt to standard) - breeder will want pups that work in they way they need (ex: for hunting, for obedience trials...). So if you get a puppy from a litter ment to be high performance in say field trials, chances are that will affect their drive (and they may be mroe "difficult" as their needs will be high in terms of physical and mental exercise).

So though I would not use the term "obedient", yes some dogs are more natural at doing things to please their owner.

But another important part (even more so), is if the owner being consistantly clear about what is expected of the dog. As human (and I am terrible at this) we often lack in consistency which confuses dogs. I am having an issue with this with my foster where I want her to ask to go on the couch but there is the odd time when I am wrapped in a blanket and don't want to get out and put her down, but I shoudl to be consistant.

Not sure if this is your first dog but training also comes with practice for the human. We'll all be much better (fingers crossed) with our 5th dog than our first (normally anyway) as we have learned some tricks along the way.
    Last edited by Tanya; 01-30-2011 at 10:35 AM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

No this is our 4th dog actually and the others weren't highly obedient but their behavior fit our needs. Maybe you hit the nail on the head with consistency. The people who came up in conversation were people of few words. The less talk the less to learn but they learn what they need to, I guess. Hmmmmm

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

Tanya is offline Senior Member

consistency is my problem (one of them haha). remembering the word, intonation, not repeating, body lanauge (your voice may say one thing but your body/gestures another). Dogs pick up on the slightest gesture sometimes so I can confuse them.

or like my Rocky, he is VERY laid back. So he is "obedient" without much effort simply because...he's so mellow! A dog with more energy/drive with the same "level" of training as Rocky woudl seem pretty unruly.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky