an abnormal lack of energy, i think
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: an abnormal lack of energy, i think

twsnow18 is offline Member

Postan abnormal lack of energy, i think

My 12 week old seems to have no energy. He hardly ever runs at all unless were playing fetch, he walks inside from when he's coming in from going potty. He walks incredibly slow to you when you call him. In the mornings he wakes up at about 7am and he is pretty wired until 9 or 10 then it's just not much after that all day. I walk him for 15 minutes everyday and play fetch with him for 5 or so minutes daily as well. He sleeps more than he's awake. Any input?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Most babies do sleep more than they are awake. If you feel that he has a medical problem and is lethargic - then you should see a vet. Otherwise - he may just need the sleep since he is growing at a rapid rate.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

What are you feeding and how much how many times a day? Spike is almost 12 weeks and is starting to run more but he is growing like a weed so maybe his body is aching? Has he been like this from the beginning or just recently? He also might just be a mellow dog - something that could be good if you are interested in training him to visit retirement homes and such

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

Puppies sleep alot...some more than others. My lola was a very laid back puppy. If you think she is very lethargic, I would do a vet check though.

lab fan is offline Senior Member

Lucy is now 13 weeks and goes like crazy for an hour or two, but then sleeps for an hour or two. She does this all day long. Some days she does seem to sleep more than others, and I swear she looks bigger the next day!! It could be that you do have a very calm laid back puppy. Our first lab was like that - she is actually more active now at 7 than she was years ago! Definitely visit the vet if you are concerned.

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

that sounds pretty normal. our little pup was pretty chill at that age too. in fact sometimes i was worried at how much he just sat around and slept. but he's doing great and he's just a mellow energy pup. Yours may be the same.

I feed him one cup of food at about 8am, 2pm and 7pm. So three cups total per day but he is growing incredibly fast, much faster than his sister whom my friend has. He is scared to jump off of the couch sometimes even though he can do it every time no problem. I guess this could be because he is aching like you said. When I went and picked him out at 6 weeks to place my deposit down, he was so rambunctious and outgoing, picking on all of the other puppies. Then when we brought him home and began feeding him ourselves he's mellowed out lots.

He also weighs right at 20 pounds. How much does Spike weigh?

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

Spike was 25 pounds at his last vet visit - now I'd guess he is about 30. But since he started school he's getting way more treats than I'm really comfortable with especially since we can't get out to walk with the ice...He too exceeded his sis's weight and he was the runt of the litter.

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

Gotcha. Well Tucker hardly even gets excited enough to come up to me for a pet or two when I get home from work. When I reward him and stuff for being obedient (he's a genius) he doesn't get very excited at all like most pups I've seen. I'm kind of worried because I really want to hunt with him!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast