Doesn't like early-morning walks

Thread: Doesn't like early-morning walks

JandRBurns is offline Member

DefaultDoesn't like early-morning walks

I have a question about our pup Roscoe, who will be six months old next week. He's a great dog, very sweet and fun-loving and he always seems to enjoy walking in the woods near our house and on Main Street in our little town. But he doesn't like to walk in the early morning. He's usually awake by 6:30 am when I give him his breakfast. But if we go out for a walk after breakfast, he sits and starts pulling for home after only two or three minutes or so. He usually naps after breakfast until about 10:30 and then if we walk, he'll go for 30 to 45 minutes or more. Same in the afternoon. It would be much better schedule-wise if he would walk first thing, but I have been reluctant to force the issue since he's a pup. Thanks for any advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

odd. Is there a difference in daylight from teh morning walk to the later morning walk? (could it be teh dark he doesn't like?)

What time does pup go to bed?

maybe a long shot but have you tried walking him before breakfast? that is what i normally do (walk first, breakfast after).

I never give my dog (or fosters) a choice, I have to be at work for 7:30 and they need to move abit before I leave so we just go. But admittedly never had a dog that had an issue with morning walks. I generally have to wake them up at 6am but once standing they are good to go.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Good question about the morning light, because he doesn't seem to like walking in the dark much. But no, usually the sun is up by 7 or so and there's plenty of light. I haven't thought of walking before breakfast. That's a good idea and worth a try. Fortunately, I work at home and so can be flexible. I'll give it a shot and let you know.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

Spike is usually in and out in the morning (fenced areas) but I haven't tried taking him for walks. How are the coyotes by you? He may smell their scent if you have them. Last night Spike heard a dog barking in the distance and he came right in.

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

Good point about the coyote scent given that at the end of my driveway we can walk right into the woods and their population seems to be coming back after being down for a time. Recently, I heard that the coyotes have a den not far from here. Also, a neighbor runs a sheep farm where the farmer (a woman) trains border collies to herd sheep. Last week, she said she sees coyotes on the farm frequently and that her collies like to mix it up with them. A few weeks ago, a dog walker had to fight off a coyote that went after a dog. Both animals fell into a pond on the edge of the trail through the woods and the dog walker had to use a stick the beat off the coyote. Last year, another dog walker lost her terrier to a coyote walking near the sheep farm. While it's a beautiful place to walk Roscoe, and many of my neighbors go there every day, it's not always safe.