Bath time?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bath time?

Bailey's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultBath time?

We are trying to expose Bailey to as much as we can while she is young. I know labs rarely need baths but I would still like to expose her to it. When did you give your puppy a bath for the first time (at home in own tub)? Secondly, When did you start taking your puppy to a professional groomer for the first time? (for a bath and a good brushing? ) She will be 4 months on Friday!

BAILEY 10/1/10

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I got a lab because I had no interest is paying for professional grooming. Rocky gets a bath when he aboslutely needs it (once or twice a year IF that) usually in my shower (though the do-it-yourself dog washes are awesome) and good brushings as needed by yours truely (me!).

Depending on the dog you may want to go in more stages, like start by just having them int eh tub with no water real quick while you treat (if you have a senstive dog). Then slowly start the water away from the dog, then slowly getting the dog wet.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

puppymakes4 is offline Member

Hi Bailey,

Scout does not like the tub at all. It freaks her out to be in it. However, the walk-in shower she's completely okay with and much more comfortable.

We started exposing Scout to baths at a young age. I think she got her first one around 10 weeks, because she'd gotten muddy outside. Her next wasn't until 4 months, again because she got dirty outside. Once was in the tub and once in the shower.

Scout has been to a groomer only once, to trim her nails. We were at the pet store, and they needed trimming, and it was convenient

We do not plan to bathe Scout all that often, maybe once a year or as needed.

To introduce Scout to water that's not a bath, we bought a little wading pool and let her play in that before the weather got cold. She loved it!
    Last edited by puppymakes4; 01-19-2011 at 10:59 PM.
    Follow Scout's adventures on her blog: And Puppy Makes Four

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Diesel got a bath when he was about 12 weeks old & only because he got really sick & had really bad diarrhea & smelled like vomit. The last time I bathed him was about a month or so ago... pukey pukerson again. Puppy puke really requires a bath to get the stench out!! I doubt I will ever take him for a pro groom since he is a lab there isn't much maintenance there. I brush him weekly, bathe only when needed. The only issue with bathing at home is my bathroom gets covered in fur & there are huge puddles everywhere!

ScorpianAbarth is offline Senior Member

Never. Unless they had rolled in something dead or poo, there's no point messing with the oils in their coat.

I appreciate you are just trying to help your puppy, but I think you're being a little over cautious

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

LOL I tried to give Spike a "bath" at about 2 months - he just smelled so much like pee. I blocked the drain of the shower stall and let about 1 inch collect. He hated it. He kept lifting up his back legs and trying to get out. Haven't tried since although he's ok at the beach and in the rain now so maybe I'll try again

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

javasmom is offline Senior Member

I don't bathe my labs-they have had 1 bath in their entire life.
    If they need to be cleaned off they either go swimming, roll in the snow or get hosed off.
    I will never take them to a groomer.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I do want to amend my "never go to a groomer" to say I do have his nails trimmed (he is great about it but I am scared to hurt him) but I usually go to nail trimming fund raisers and not a grooming salon.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

lab fan is offline Senior Member

In non-winter months, if my dog is really muddy I use the hose to rinse off the dirt before we come inside. In the winter if she's dirty from slushy, dirty roads, we do "snow baths". She rolls in the snow, and I "wash" her with snow. Tilly's favorite thing is to be toweled off afterwards! In her almost 8 years, she has had maybe 4 real baths in the bathtub - she just stands there looking really sad. The downside to doing a real bath is the shaking once you're done - water all over the walls, not fun!

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

I had to dig this up - this was our lab in the late 80's when we lived in Jersey. His name was Jasper. This is what happened when we gave him a bath
    Last edited by Spike's Mom; 01-20-2011 at 10:11 AM.

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast